What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Originally Posted by dea_will
I liked it, it's De Palma after all.
Excellent point, very well reasoned. I take it all back and grade it an A+.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
De Palma is such a bad director in my opinion.

Just saw "The Illusionist" and I have to say, it contained one of the 5 best twists I've seen.

To cleanse my cinematic palate after the bad taste DePalma's latest left in my mouth, I went out to see GoodFellas tonight at one of the local theatres. It's probably the tenth time or so I've seen it on the big screen, and it really did the trick. A great way to end the day. If I could go out to see it two or three times a week, I probably would.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I have never been a fan of Goodfellas. I feel like this movie is insanely overrated.

The story kind of bored me and I felt like I was watching the first thirty minutes played on a loop. Same stuff happening over and over again.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by BobbyB
I have never been a fan of Goodfellas. I feel like this movie is insanely overrated.

The story kind of bored me and I felt like I was watching the first thirty minutes played on a loop. Same stuff happening over and over again.
Bummer. Goodfellas is amazing, as far as I am concerned. Love it. Then again, I tend to like Scorsese...a lot.

piraates the dea mans chest! i CANT beleive it is a trilogy! i NEVER saw it coming (i didnt care too much for the series) it is pretty fun though, i enjoyed them both and now cant wait to see the third! heaha

Feast (John Gulager)

A few years ago, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, the two actors who hit it big when their screenplay Good Will Hunting was produced and eventually brought them Oscar gold, decided to help other unproduced screenwriters. They started "Project Greenlight", which was a contest and a television show where a screenplay would be chosen, finaced and made into a feature film to be distributed theatrically by Miramax. The cameras of the show caught all the goings on, and the end result would be opportunities for young writers and directors to show what they could do and realize their dreams. The first two "Greenlight" movies were Stolen Summer (2002) and The Battle of Shaker Heights (2003). They were nice enough and competent if uninspired little dramedies, but neither one made any money. The Weinsteins had been footing the bill for Ben & Matt's enterprise, and they decided that if the third film out of "Project Greenlight" didn't make some waves at the box office, the show - as nice an idea as it was - had to go. Faced with this they decided to turn their attention to a genre effort that would have a fighting chance at putting some butts into seats. They enlisted Wes Craven as a producer and to help with the selection process, then they went looking for a Horror movie. And here it is...

Feast is a low-budget gorefest tinged with dark comedy in the Evil Dead 2 mode about a small group of folks in a remote desert diner battling flesh eating monsters one fateful night. It's full of the self-conscious 'we've all seen this movie a dozen times already but isn't it fun anyway?' nods to the audience that has become fairly standard practice. Some of it works, some of it falls flatter than gags in Scary Movie 3. The characters all have names like The Hero, The Bartender, The Bossman and Beer Guy, and the script tries to play with the expectations of the genre as who will go first and who will survive (though it seems to me all these "rules" have been commented upon and broken many times over by now in the post-Scream era). Our ever-shrinking cast of walking meals include Balthazar Getty (Lost Highway), Krista Allen ("Unscripted"), ex-rocker Henry Rollins, Jason Mewes (Clerks), comedian Judah Friedlander and veteran character actor Clu Gulager (those who saw any of "Greenlight 3" know the director of the film is Clu's son, John). The monsters are slimy and hungry and it only takes about twelve minutes before people are getting torn apart. I'm not a huge fan of the Horror genre, but for as small and sometimes obvious as Feast is, it does deliver enough of the requisite blood and a few chuckles in its blissfully brisk 80-some-minute running time. It's not great, it's certainly not anything new, but if you're looking for one of these kinds of flicks as Halloween approaches I suppose one could do worse.

As far as making a pile of cash, I fear this is the bloody end of "Project Greenlight" (where the behind-the-scenes aspect of the series, seeing the filmmakers struggle to get their film made, was the real hook anyway and the movies themselves an afterthought). At least they went out shotguns blazing.

GRADES: "Project Greenlight 3", B and Feast, C-

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Excellent point, very well reasoned. I take it all back and grade it an A+.

I don't grade films I (only) LIKE with an A+, do you?

I hate to say it, but an audience screening of Flyboys. Is anyone going to see this?

If it gets crushed by Jackass 2, what does that say for our culture.

Lady in The Water... Considering the drubbing it got from the critics, it wasn't anywhere near as bad I thought it might be. It's definitely M. Night's weakest film, but I openly admit to enjoying it.

James

Awsom 50 - The Online Source for Action Movies

Originally Posted by delicado_cinco
I hate to say it, but an audience screening of Flyboys. Is anyone going to see this?
I had THREE different passes for this one...and didn't feel tempted to see any of the three screenings. So if I couldn't be bothered to see it for free, I can guarantee I'm not gonna pay to see it.

So in answer to your question, no.

Clerks 2- a lot of good stuff but too many scenes fall flat and fail to really illicit the emotional response they aspire to. Some nice nods as well to the original. Also Randall is ****ing quality though.

I want to say
tho it's probably

Tokyo drift. It was pretty bad but the cars were nice.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I had THREE different passes for this one...and didn't feel tempted to see any of the three screenings. So if I couldn't be bothered to see it for free, I can guarantee I'm not gonna pay to see it.

So in answer to your question, no.
But..but...but...it's got exploding zeppelins....

Confetti (2006 - Debbie Isitt)

A popular wedding magazine owned by Antoni (Jimmy Carr) decides to have a contest for the Most Original Wedding of the Year rather than their usual Bride of the Year, as that always winds up being "just another girl in a white dress". Couples come in and pitch their unique ideas with the prize being an appearance on the cover of the magazine and a new home. The three couples and concepts chosen are Matt & Sam ("The Office"'s Martin Freeman and "Spaced"'s Jessica Stevenson) who want to dance and sing their vows in the style of an extravagant Busby Berkeley Musical, Archie & Isabelle (Stephen Mangan and Meredith MacNeill) who want their passion for tennis to theme their wedding and Michael & Joanna (Robert Webb and Oliva Colman) who are Naturists and wish to marry as they live their lives: completely nude. After three months of preparation and rehersals all three weddings will take place in one evening and be judged by a panel, determining who gets the prize. The magazine hires a pair of professional wedding coordinators (Vincent Franklin and Jason Watkins) and the madness begins.

This is done in the improvisational mockumentary style pioneered by This Is Spinal Tap and continued by Christopher Guest and his troupe with Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind and the upcoming For Your Consideration. Frankly Confetti isn't up to that standard. Which isn't to say it's bad, because it's got plenty of laughs and the cast is strong (especially Freeman, Stevenson, Franklin and Watkins). But the original movies of this subgenre have set the comedy bar very high. Confetti doesn't have quite enough wit or insanity, and the finale is probably the weakest segment of the movie - in contrast to the production of the play in Guffman, the dog show in Best in Show and the concert in Mighty Wind, all of which were perfect buttons to the narratives and held some of the best moments in the films. The contest weddings here are a bit of a let-down and not worthy of the build-up.

Confetti is fine and I enjoyed it, but even as I was gigling at the goings on I couldn't help comparing it to the better movies that inspired it.

GRADE: C+

XANADU (1980)

Yes, I went to the theatre to see the cinematic dog Xanadu in all it's craptaculance, and I even sang along with Oliva Newton-John and ELO (I wasn't the only one in the theater singin', which was close to sold out by the way). It is easily one of the worst Hollywood movies of the past thirty-five years...and I've probably seen it close to a hundred times.

Check out a whole flippin' thread devoted to the place where nobody dared to go and the love that we came to know right HERE.

You ready? You look ready.
Everyone's Hero- I haven't loved an animated film this much since Finding Nemo. B+

The girl I like thought I was going to Jackass 2. Like I'd actually be that stupid to pay for something I just have to go to school to see.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I saw "The Black Dahlia" last night. I liked it, I thought it was very well done, but for some reason just couldn't sink my teeth into it. I don't know, I felt it was missing something. Sorry I can't be more specific. I'd give it a "B" I suppose.

Talladega Nights (finally!! I live in a hick town where we wait till everywhere else has it on dvd, to show it in cinema).
Will Ferrell...what can I say? I want this man to have to have my babies hahahahah. Comic Genius!!!
I especially love those types of films where they show the bloopers - brilliant stuff!!!