Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

SF = Z

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

i loved it its so funny , loved bryce dallas howard she did an amazing job and loved sam rockwell one of the good actors and loved henry cavill and i swear catherine o hara and other guy was on home alone movie. i dislike when they had the cat in the backpack im those people who thinks its cruel

I watched "Salt Fairy Tales" (1983) - first episode entitled "O závojích bez nevest" (About veils without brides) is excellent!

A Man Escaped (1956, Robert Bresson)

This stark minimalist prison break drama is widely regarded as a masterpiece and one of the greatest films of all time, and I have no reason to argue with this sentiment. It's certainly a great film, and I definitely liked it, I just wasn't hugely affected or blown away by it. I did love the attention to detail, the purity of cinematography, the use of sound and silence, and the complete avoidance of fake Hollywood-style action and emotional manipulation. The Nazi guards were basically invisible the whole time—the whole focus was on the psychological and spiritual struggle of the protagonist, the silent stoicism of resisting and overcoming the toughest of circumstances. Still, I felt there was something missing, perhaps a bit more tension and suspense would help? I don't know what it is, maybe I wasn't in the mood, or maybe Bresson's style doesn't grab me as much as I would love it to. I wasn't a fan of L'Argent either, though I'd almost expected to love it (the concept was pretty interesting). I need to see more of his films, for sure.

Again, great film but (to me personally) not quite a 5/5. Mentally comparing this to Le Trou, I do prefer the latter.

This looks good, goes on my to watch list.

Leave the World Behind (2023)

Why do people seem to generally like this movie? We have extreme portrayals of characters (Julia Roberts constantly angry and frantic, Mahershala Ali a mysterious stoic), unwise decision making by otherwise intelligent people, twisty cinematography that wore out its welcome quickly, a soundtrack that was noticeably distracting....

Many people seem to think the ending ruined it, but the ending was actually fine (albeit predictable) to me. What a waste of time....

WARNING: spoilers below
building up the whole movie to basically nothing. The climax was the exchange with Kevin Bacon? I also found it strange that Ali and Roberts have this little fling in the middle of all this...

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - I had a chance to watch this in theaters but passed and since it's been available on Disney+ for a couple of months now I figured why not? That's a hell of note for a beloved franchise to go out on. But unlike Star Wars this one I think is (probably) done. Ford doesn't have another one of these in him and diminishing returns will convince even the most avaricious of studio heads. Someone, somewhere is bound to start the recast/reboot ball rolling. I don't know if that's even an option but it seems the likeliest prospect.

The script is passable enough I suppose that it somewhat distracts from the deficiencies. The aged cast, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, the by now perfunctory and predictably rote chase scenes, and without the underpinnings that an A+ script would have provided the last 25 or so minutes doesn't really land. I did like the reunion at the end but that last shot momentarily confused me. At first I took it to mean, "I'm not done with this and I'll be back." But then I figured it probably meant, "This is mine and mine alone. I'm leaving and taking it with me."

Unlike Kingdom of the Crystal Skull you sort of feel like a Grinch if you hate this. Did it have to be made? Was it an attempt at making amends after that 2008 misfire? Who exactly is making amends though? Spielberg isn't involved and Paramount or Disney don't really care about butthurt fanboys. So maybe I should stop looking for a good faith effort where one couldn't possibly exist and take it as one last chance at milking a cash cow. And once seen through that prism you can truly appreciate it for what is. Which is better than KotCS for starters and a fitting enough end for a venerable pop culture icon.

70/100

Boldly going.
Barbie
7/10.
I think this might be Pinocchio if dreamed by a 7-year old girl.
Like Wonder Woman (2017), everybody's talking about it right now, but in five years, no one except the most diehard fans will care.

Argylle was such a disappointment. It heavily relied on the star cast carrying the movie, but failed hard due to its slow pace, unwitty jokes and overall a very absurd plot. An overweight woman who happens to kick ass and beat everyone in all situations just does not provide the excitement the movie needed.

WARNING: spoilers below
the dancing on oil scene was extremely cringey

It felt like semi-serious Austin powers but failed at being serious or funny

Even the baby looks insufferable. Is being in close proximity to Katherine Heigl contagious?

Even the baby looks insufferable. Is being in close proximity to Katherine Heigl contagious?
It must be. I’ve never read of any actor working with her who found it a positive experience

Finally caught up with this epic. I'm still mulling over what I thought about it. It's Scorsese so there's lots to admire. Still, I felt it was too long. Things got going when Jesse Plemons arrived. Could the first hour have been trimmed a bit?
Agree with everything you’ve said here

Mean Girls (2024)

Man Hollywood's diversity agenda murders another promising film. The irony in all of this is that you had the right person to race swap in A'uli Cravalho as either Regina or Kady and you just made her a Lesbian version of Janis. Janis isn't supposed to be a lesbian it's the mean thing that the mean girl did. But this film race swaps both friends and makes Janis gay so Katies friends are now the most diverse people possible. You are making the film that's central theme is about exclusivity inclusive...

Angourie Rice plays Cady and see looks like a good ginger...she's a fake ginger. But more importantly...it's a musical where she can't sing. Renee Rapp can sing but she looks 30 half the cast looks age appropriate and the other half doesn't. You need age continuity in casting that is much more important than checking off boxes for diversity hires.

Anyways not going to say the film was terrible...it just could have been much better than what was put out.

C+
I’m such a fan of the original film I can’t bring myself to watch this.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Skin: A History of Nudity in the Movies

Such revisionism. A lot of assumptions. One person talking for "the people". Justifying everything with the trendiest thing. And then there's a ton of actresses who won't tell the truth and just say, "I suck at acting" instead of "Women now have more choices" and one actually saying, "That's great acting, because I didn't wanna be in it" and it's awful. Seems like another way to get their names out there by pretending (whatever is popular at this moment)..

Skin: A History of Nudity in the Movies

Such revisionism. A lot of assumptions. One person talking for "the people". Justifying everything with the trendiest thing. And then there's a ton of actresses who won't tell the truth and just say, "I suck at acting" instead of "Women now have more choices" and one actually saying, "That's great acting, because I didn't wanna be in it" and it's awful. Seems like another way to get their names out there by pretending (whatever is popular at this moment)..

I like listening to younger folks talk about the horror of the olden days. I’m going to check this out.

I forgot the opening line.

By 1996Larry - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=96254236

Battleground - (1949)

This was a huge film in it's day. Battleground tells the story of a group of soldiers in the 101st Airborne Division who had to hold on to the town of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge - with many of the incidents therein based on fact. It's a film which highlights camaraderie, and also hardship - many of the characters have reasons to gripe, but life in this Division during this battle was never going to be easy. It's interesting to watch because it was made so soon after the events it describes - and it's near-$2 million budget means there was no expense spared bringing Bastogne to us. There's no blood and guts or swearing - war films were so sanitized during this era in Hollywood, but we do get a sense of a group of soldiers being worn down by scarcity during the battle. This was nominated for a whole heap of Oscars, including Best Picture - winning Best Cinematography (Black and White) and Best Screenplay. Lots of digging fox holes, ducking for cover and running around - but because it was made so soon after the war it lacks the objectivity some later war films have. Still a fine movie though.

7/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=23239901

The Proposal - (2009)

Editor-in-chief boss Margaret Tate (Sandra Bullock) demands that her put-upon, beleaguered personal assistant, Andrew Paxton (Ryan Reynolds) marry her when she's told she can no longer stay in the United States and must return to Canada. There's a good odd-couple dynamic in this film, but the screenplay isn't so hot. Why did they have to make Paxton's family exceedingly wealthy? It changes the power dynamic a lot - but I'd like to see films about ordinary people, instead of a constant flow of Hollywood films with characters that have stupendously large mansions and servants. I'm never rooting for people who already have it all. Reynolds and Bullock actually have wonderful chemistry together - so it's a shame they weren't in a funnier, more involving film. I loved that Betty White was in this - but I think she was ultimately wasted by filmmakers who lacked inspiration.

5/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4985495

The Beat That My Heart Skipped - (2005)

Thomas Seyr (Romain Duris) is a seedy, nasty and criminal real estate developer who decides to go for his dream - to become an accomplished pianist. In his way is his past, his best friend's wife, and his wayward father - whom together create a crescendo of drama and violence in this French neo-noir film by A Prophet's Jacques Audiard. My review is here, on my watchlist thread.

7/10

By "Copyright 1953 RKO Radio Pictures Inc." - Scan via Heritage Auctions., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=86897176

The Hitch-Hiker - (1953)

Two average schmoes pick up a deadly hitch-hiker who orders them at gunpoint to take him to Santa Rosalía - thus beginning a road trip full of tension and fear in this taut Ida Lupino film noir classic. My review is here, on my watchlist thread.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

SF = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it