Make Your Picks

Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I’m not sure why intention matters. The final result is it was released in a foreign language, so that shouldn’t make it debatable.
It was the word that popped in earlier discussions about Leone.

To clarify, I do think Vampyr should be eligible. By debatable, I meant that there exists an argument against it (it may not be strong as it seems to be far from certain if the English version was actually released, but it does exist). Most importantly, I'm not arguing against its eligibility.

The trick is not minding
It was the word that popped in earlier discussions about Leone.

To clarify, I do think Vampyr should be eligible. By debatable, I meant that there exists an argument against it (it may not be strong as it seems to be far from certain if the English version was actually released, but it does exist). Most importantly, I'm not arguing against its eligibility.
Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Might want to move this out of the "General" category...
Why?

It isn't a review, a question or about an upcoming movie so general movie discussion seemed to fit best.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Why?

It isn't a review, a question or about an upcoming movie so general movie discussion seemed to fit best.
It was just moved to "Reviews"?

I thought "Upcoming Tournaments" would have been the place.

We've always put these in Movie Reviews, probably because most of the discussion ends up feeling like that, but it might have been initially arbitrary and just unexamined custom after that. I'm open to changing that. I suppose it makes slightly more sense in General?

Lemme know if you guys have strong thoughts either way.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just an FYI, make sure you select the correct versions.. I saw "The Battle of Algiers" from 1969 (but it's not THE Battle of Algiers, which is 1966)

@Thursday Next, @Takoma11 recommended this movie to me in my recommendations request thread.

Polytechnique--a fictionalized account of a massacre that took place in Montreal in 1989 in which a student, angry at women in general, went after several of his female classmates. While some of the film does show the actual event, much of the focus is on what came before and after, and it is a very empathetic look at the impact on all of the students, including one male student who is a witness to the events.
I found the movie on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?

The ballot link isnt working for me for some reason. Clicking the link opens a new tab with a "/ballot" at the end of movieforums address, but the page is totally blank (like it never loads anything)

The ballot link isnt working for me for some reason. Clicking the link opens a new tab with a "/ballot" at the end of movieforums address, but the page is totally blank (like it never loads anything)
Are you using an Adblocker? I just checked the link and it worked for me. This is what I see when I click the link.

@WorkersPeasants I assume you're on a mobile device. You'll need to fill out the ballot on a desktop computer; it's a brand new feature and quasi-experimental, so a mobile version is forthcoming the next time we do this, if this one goes well. Sorry for the confusion.

@Thursday Next, @Takoma11 recommended this movie to me in my recommendations request thread.

Polytechnique--a fictionalized account of a massacre that took place in Montreal in 1989 in which a student, angry at women in general, went after several of his female classmates. While some of the film does show the actual event, much of the focus is on what came before and after, and it is a very empathetic look at the impact on all of the students, including one male student who is a witness to the events.

I found the movie Polytechnique (2009) on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?

Also, I have the same question for the movie Kon-Tiki (2012). Is the English version eligible, or do I have to find the Norwegian version?

bye bye ken loach.