Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I’m not sure why intention matters. The final result is it was released in a foreign language, so that shouldn’t make it debatable.
It was the word that popped in earlier discussions about Leone.

To clarify, I do think Vampyr should be eligible. By debatable, I meant that there exists an argument against it (it may not be strong as it seems to be far from certain if the English version was actually released, but it does exist). Most importantly, I'm not arguing against its eligibility.

The trick is not minding
It was the word that popped in earlier discussions about Leone.

To clarify, I do think Vampyr should be eligible. By debatable, I meant that there exists an argument against it (it may not be strong as it seems to be far from certain if the English version was actually released, but it does exist). Most importantly, I'm not arguing against its eligibility.
Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Might want to move this out of the "General" category...
Why?

It isn't a review, a question or about an upcoming movie so general movie discussion seemed to fit best.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Why?

It isn't a review, a question or about an upcoming movie so general movie discussion seemed to fit best.
It was just moved to "Reviews"?

I thought "Upcoming Tournaments" would have been the place.

We've always put these in Movie Reviews, probably because most of the discussion ends up feeling like that, but it might have been initially arbitrary and just unexamined custom after that. I'm open to changing that. I suppose it makes slightly more sense in General?

Lemme know if you guys have strong thoughts either way.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just an FYI, make sure you select the correct versions.. I saw "The Battle of Algiers" from 1969 (but it's not THE Battle of Algiers, which is 1966)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Thursday Next, @Takoma11 recommended this movie to me in my recommendations request thread.

Polytechnique--a fictionalized account of a massacre that took place in Montreal in 1989 in which a student, angry at women in general, went after several of his female classmates. While some of the film does show the actual event, much of the focus is on what came before and after, and it is a very empathetic look at the impact on all of the students, including one male student who is a witness to the events.
I found the movie on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?

The ballot link isnt working for me for some reason. Clicking the link opens a new tab with a "/ballot" at the end of movieforums address, but the page is totally blank (like it never loads anything)

The ballot link isnt working for me for some reason. Clicking the link opens a new tab with a "/ballot" at the end of movieforums address, but the page is totally blank (like it never loads anything)
Are you using an Adblocker? I just checked the link and it worked for me. This is what I see when I click the link.

@WorkersPeasants I assume you're on a mobile device. You'll need to fill out the ballot on a desktop computer; it's a brand new feature and quasi-experimental, so a mobile version is forthcoming the next time we do this, if this one goes well. Sorry for the confusion.

@Thursday Next, @Takoma11 recommended this movie to me in my recommendations request thread.

Polytechnique--a fictionalized account of a massacre that took place in Montreal in 1989 in which a student, angry at women in general, went after several of his female classmates. While some of the film does show the actual event, much of the focus is on what came before and after, and it is a very empathetic look at the impact on all of the students, including one male student who is a witness to the events.

I found the movie Polytechnique (2009) on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?

Also, I have the same question for the movie Kon-Tiki (2012). Is the English version eligible, or do I have to find the Norwegian version?

bye bye ken loach.

I found the movie on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?
I'm not familiar with the movie but imdb has the language listed as French, which would make it eligible.

I can't (and wouldn't want to) police whether people are watching dubbed versions (same goes for anime films, for example), so that would be entirely up to you.

We now have 10 lists submitted with just under 2 months to go. There have been 198 films nominated in total so far. The current top 3 films are all on 4 ballots each. There are 30 films which have 25 points or more and are on more than one list.

@Thursday Next,

Originally Posted by Takoma11
I'm not familiar with the movie but imdb has the language listed as French, which would make it eligible.

I can't (and wouldn't want to) police whether people are watching dubbed versions (same goes for anime films, for example), so that would be entirely up to you.

According to the Trivia page on IMDB for Polytechnique, the movie was "Filmed simultaneously in English and French.".

Also, I have the same question for the movie Kon-Tiki (2012). Is the English version eligible, or do I have to find the Norwegian version?

And according to the Trivia page for Kon-Tiki (2012), "Large parts of the film were filmed in two versions at the same time, one in Norwegian, the other in English, in order to secure international funding.".

If it's not a problem, I'll just watch the English versions, but I just want to make sure that these facts don't change your answer because these movies were NOT dubbed. Both movies were filmed in English, at the same time as a foreign language.