Rank the 2018 Best Picture Nominees

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I did the same thread for 2017, I'm very curious to see how others will rank these films. I looked to see if there was a thread like this, and I didn't find, sorry if it has.

1. Shape of Water - 100/100 - All around beautiful: Beautiful characters, beautiful cinematography, amazing sequences, aesthetically masterful, and very risky film making that payed off in all of its aspects.
2. Lady Bird - 98/100 - One of the best Coming of Age flicks I've ever seen, I was so invested in Lady Bird and her journey. Extremely well written and acted, not a single flaw in this film for me.
3. Get Out - 95/100 - One of the best Psychological thrillers I've seen in recent years. It is not often you see a genre filmed handled with so much care.
4. Call me by Your Name - 93/100 - This film feels extremely real, it is never over-dramatized. Beautifully shot and beautifully acted, also perfectly paced.
5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 88/100 - Definitely the best character work I've seen all year (2017) Best performance by lead actress as well, and a very human and affecting story. Ending was a problem though.
6. Darkest Hour - 80/100 - Gary Oldman absolutely makes this great, I don't know if I would feel the same with any other actor. It is also a very well realized character study film that engrossed me.
7. Dunkirk - 75/100 - Technically, this film doesn't have any overbearing flaws. Great directing, great cinematography, great sound design, just great in general. However, I like my films with character, so I was very dissapointed in that department.
8. The Post - 70/100 - All talent behind and in front of the camera was amazing to see. It was very hard to get into the first 40 minutes, however, once the main plot kicks in, the film kept me in its grip the whole time.

01. Phantom Thread
02. Call Me By Your Name
03. Lady Bird
04. The Shape of Water
05. Dunkirk
06. Get Out
07. The Post
08. Three Billboards
09. Darkest Hour

Don't think much of the bottom three, the other six are average up to pretty great.

I did the same thread for 2017, I'm very curious to see how others will rank these films. I looked to see if there was a thread like this, and I didn't find, sorry if it has.
Have you not seen Phantom Thread or did you forget about it?

Top 6 Personal Favorites:

1. Phantom Thread
2. Lady Bird
3. Dunkirk
4. Three Billboards
5. Call Me By Your Name
6. Get Out

Call Me By Your Name would be higher if this was a 'Top 6 Best films' list.

Did not see The Shape of Water, The Darkest Hour or The Post yet.

movies can be okay...
1 - Call Me by Your Name
2 - The Shape of Water
3 - Dunkirk
4 - Get Out
5 - Lady Bird
6 - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I haven't seen the rest, yet.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I haven't seen the post and call me by your name

1) Three Billboard
2) Dunkirk
3) Lady Bird
4) Get Out
5) Phantom Thread
6) Darkest Hour
7) The Shape of Water

1.) 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

2.) Phantom Thread

3.) The Shape of Water

4.) Call Me By Your Name

5.) Get Out

6.) Dunkirk

7.) Lady bird

8.) The Post

9.) Darkest Hour

shape of water
lady bird
call me by your name
phantom thread
3 billboards
get out
the post
darkest hour
dunkirk
criticker

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
1. Lady Bird
2. Phantom Thread
3. Shape of Water
4. Darkest Hour
5. Get Out
6. Dunkirk
7. 3 Billboards
8. The Post

Haven't seen Call Me By Your Name

1.) 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

2.) The Shape of Water

3.) Call Me By Your Name

4.) Phantom Thread

5.) Lady bird

6.) Get Out

7.) Dunkirk

Basically there is no movie that really stands out this year.

Seen

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  2. Dunkirk
  3. Get Out
  4. Darkest Hour
  5. Lady Bird
  6. The Shape of Water

Haven't
  • The Post
  • Phantom Thread
  • Call Me By Your Name
I'm waffling a lot on those top three spots, particularly Dunkirk and Get Out. Ask me tomorrow and I'd probably flip them, and then back on Wednesday.

Seen

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  2. Dunkirk
  3. Get Out
  4. Darkest Hour
  5. Lady Bird
  6. The Shape of Water

Haven't
  • The Post
  • Phantom Thread
  • Call Me By Your Name
I'm waffling a lot on those top three spots, particularly Dunkirk and Get Out. Ask me tomorrow and I'd probably flip them, and then back on Wednesday.
I have Lady Bird above Shape of Water, but other than that we are literally reversed.

That's the movies for ya'.

I also almost flipped Lady Bird and Darkest Hour. I figure that might stick out, to some. I was just really impressed by how brisk Darkest Hour felt.

Either way, it's the second year that we actually had good nominees as a whole, regardless of what ended up winning and all that.

seen:
Dunkirk - 7/10
The Shape of Water - 7/10
Get Out - 6/10
Three Billboards - 5/10

havent:
Phantom Thread

the rest:
dont care/10

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Either way, it's the second year that we actually had good nominees as a whole, regardless of what ended up winning and all that.
Agreed, there weren't any nominees that I disliked.