Superman: Legacy

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
James Gunn officially announced that David Corenswet (House of Cards, Pearl, We Own This City) will play Clark Kent/Superman and Rachel Brosnahan (The Fabulous Ms. Maisel) will play Lois Lane in the 1st official film for DC's upcoming new universe of films that is planning to be connected a la Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The new film will kick off the film projects of "Chapter 1: Gods and Monsters", the first chapter of the new DC Universe (DCU) after the animated series "Creature Commanders" and the TV series "Waller", which brings Viola Davis back. Other films will include James Mangold's "Swamp Thing", Andy Muschetti's "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", "The Authority" (to be introduced in Superman: Legacy), and "Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow".

Films such as "The Batman: Part II", "Joker: Folie a Deux", "The Flash", and "Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom" will fall in what will be known as the "Elseworlds" universe.

It's funny that you say "Corenswet (House of Cards)" when he was in just one episode, but I remember Brosnahan mostly for her role in the first seasons of House of Cards I don't think I've seen Corenswet in anything, but Brosnahan was great in House of Cards and Manhattan. I still haven't seen Ms. Maisel, but everything I've read about it is great.

James Gunn officially announced that David Corenswet (House of Cards) will play Clark Kent/Superman and Rachel Brosnahan (The Fabulous Ms. Maisel) will play Lois Lane in the 1st official film for DC's upcoming new universe of films that is planning to be connected a la Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The new film will kick off the film projects of "Chapter 1: Gods and Monsters", the first chapter of the new DC Universe (DCU) after the animated series "Creature Commanders" and the TV series "Waller", which brings Viola Davis back. Other films will include James Mangold's "Swamp Thing", Andy Muschetti's "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", "The Authority" (to be introduced in Superman: Legacy), and "Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow".

In 2023 the most surprising thing is that they cast a white dude. That's not snark or irony. That's a fact.

BKB
In 2023 the most surprising thing is that they cast a white dude. That's not snark or irony. That's a fact.
If they cast anyone else other than a white man for the role, it simply would bomb and it's bad enough they're announcing something like this after The FLASH just bombed spectacularly and I feel like comicbook movies are simply on the decline now and they need to take a much needed break from this for at the very minimum of 5 Years before trying this again.. Makes me wonder what WB would do without BATMAN??

If they cast anyone else other than a white man for the role, it simply would bomb and it's bad enough they're announcing something like this after The FLASH just bombed spectacularly and I feel like comicbook movies are simply on the decline now and they need to take a much needed break from this for at the very minimum of 5 Years before trying this again.. Makes me wonder what WB would do without BATMAN??
Considering how well Across the Spider-verse is doing, I think it's safe to say that The Flash didn't bomb because it was a comicbook movie. It bombed because it was part of an already failed "universe" that starred a problematic lead, and it just didn't have legs to stand on. Just compare its run with Elemental for an example of how a movie "with legs" behaves versus one without.

BKB
Considering how well Across the Spider-verse is doing, I think it's safe to say that The Flash didn't bomb because it was a comicbook movie. It bombed because it was part of an already failed "universe" that starred a problematic lead, and it just didn't have legs to stand on. Just compare its run with Elemental for an example of how a movie "with legs" behaves versus one without.
Across the Spider-Verse is doing well because it's not associated with the other SPIDER-MAN movies along with it being Meta Animated which is something incredibly popular with the younger generation and it's true.. As for the New SUPERMAN??? Comicbook movie fatigue really is real and making something like this is pretty risky given the character is not exactly as popular with the younger generation as BATMAN is and on top of The FLASH pretty much Bombing.. WB could make the worst BATMAN movie around and fans would still turn out for it and why?? Because he's BATMAN

There're not mutually exclusive ideas: fatigue from excessive comic book movies just means mediocre ones can't coast to $300 million. People still turn out for good ones, though, so putting everything down to the genre is just really simplistic analysis.

Very happy that Gunn has two jewish actors in the lead roles for this film. This is a return to the original intent of the character. The next step is hopefully not going down the Lex Luthor road rather coming up with a different type of story.

BKB
Do we have any information on whether or not this will once again be an origin story?? They should go the route they did with "The INCREDIBLE HULK" with Edward Norton from 2008 where they showed you the origin in the title credits of how Banner became The HULK and they could do a quick montage of this in the opening credits of this new movie?? As for villains?? I know people are tired of Lex Luthor, but he is Clark's #1 enemy.. They could reboot DOOMSDAY and do that storyline??

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Do we have any information on whether or not this will once again be an origin story?? They should go the route they did with "The INCREDIBLE HULK" with Edward Norton from 2008 where they showed you the origin in the title credits of how Banner became The HULK and they could do a quick montage of this in the opening credits of this new movie?? As for villains?? I know people are tired of Lex Luthor, but he is Clark's #1 enemy.. They could reboot DOOMSDAY and do that storyline??
From what I heard, it is not an origin story, but a story similar to the character "The Batman"...it will be about a young Superman. Corenswet said he wants to bring a "bright optimistic Superman" to the role as well.

Just in general - I like the Parasite as a Superman villain. Unlike most others he can quickly render Superman powerless without the use of Kryptonite (while gaining those powers). The Parasite is an actual threat in that he could kill Superman quite quickly if he gets the jump on him. But even if he feeds on half Superman's powers - you've finally got an even fight on your hands of one Superman against another.

Another suggestion is the Toyman... but with a different take. Imagine a heinous serial-killer of children via murderous toys. Imagine you can't buy your kid a toy for Christmas or their birthday because it may be one of the rigged ones the Toyman has tinkered with.

BKB
From what I heard, it is not an origin story, but a story similar to the character "The Batman"...it will be about a young Superman. Corenswet said he wants to bring a "bright optimistic Superman" to the role as well.
I read where Gunn wants this for a 2025 release.. Comicbook fatigue is in fact real and if he really wants this to do well and not suffer The FLASH treatment, he should wait til 2028 to release this.. Henry Cavill is still fresh in everyone's mind and this just doesn't feel right rebooting this so soon after a major DC Flop in The FLASH..

A system of cells interlinked
whos gonna play superman that henry cavill left?
Very first line in the thread in the OP...

"James Gunn officially announced that David Corenswet (House of Cards, Pearl, We Own This City) will play Clark Kent/Superman..."

Hoult has the built in advantage of not being Jesse Eisenberg.

"The red capes are coming. The red capes are coming."