Movie Tab II

Tools    

Yeah, I must concur, it'll lose some impact now. Then again, I'm probably just trying to trick Sedai into erasing its mere existence from the site. Gah!

This may sound silly, since I'm not much of a horror guy, but that scene was the most scared I've ever been watching a movie; definitely in the theater, probably ever. I'm not exaggerating: the scariest. I thought about it before I went to bed every night for a solid two weeks afterwards. Don't ask me why, it just got to me.

I used to go to a theater back in my teens that had a horror movie marathon around Halloween ... one of the movies was about this woman and her son who owned a human hair wig shop... and there was a scene it pertaining to how they got the hair (I'm sure you can figure out how without me going into detail) that haunted me for months... I can't even remember the name of the movie or who was in it... but it still creeps me out to think about it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

This may sound silly, since I'm not much of a horror guy, but that scene was the most scared I've ever been watching a movie; definitely in the theater, probably ever. I'm not exaggerating: the scariest. I thought about it before I went to bed every night for a solid two weeks afterwards. Don't ask me why, it just got to me.
It's clear why: you're a big baby fraidy cat wuss.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I hadn't thought about spoiling it... I changed the image.

The avatar is staying, though!

And for those disturbed by The Ring, here is a pretty picture from:

The Happy Little Elves in Tinkley Winkley Land

I used to go to a theater back in my teens that had a horror movie marathon around Halloween ... one of the movies was about this woman and her son who owned a human hair wig shop... and there was a scene it pertaining to how they got the hair (I'm sure you can figure out how without me going into detail) that haunted me for months... I can't even remember the name of the movie or who was in it... but it still creeps me out to think about it...
Hoo Hoo.
Isn't that H.G. Lewis' "The Gruesome Twosome"?
Starts with an awful padding scene of two wigs having a chat!

Hoo Hoo.
Isn't that H.G. Lewis' "The Gruesome Twosome"?
Starts with an awful padding scene of two wigs having a chat!

That sounds like it... I'm not gonna watch it again to make sure though...

That sounds like it... I'm not gonna watch it again to make sure though...
Can't blame you for that! It is a bit of a stinker.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just watched Persepolis, the animated film based on Marjane's graphic novel based on her experiences growing up and living in Iran. I liked the style of the animation, it was largely in black and white, with good use made of shadows. I certainly learnt a lot about Iranian history (which I admit I was pretty hazy on up until now). It was chilling, some of it, it really was. And yet there were some lighter moments, such as Marjane buying an Iron Maiden casette on the black market. As it was a life story, it left something to be desired in terms of an entertaining story, it didn't feel as though it really went anywhere, wasn't quite complete. But then life, unlike fiction, is like that. I would recommend it.

"Pathology"

Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylorhe, the writer/director's of the "Crank" movies push the boundaries again, only with not a trace of humour (black or otherwise) or comic strip craziness to be found.

Here they are only the writers, so perhaps the utter darkness seen here is down to the director Marc Schölermann.

A group of pathology students create a game where each commits a murder and the others have to autopsy the body to work out how the death was carried out.
True the story has a few possible plausibility issues but as a wallow in nastiness, nihilism and body fluids it's a well crafted slice of modern horror.

The fact it does not have any real energy or kinetic set-pieces means there is not any real excitement here and when added to the utter darkness, grit and grim content you can see why this basically vanished onto DVD.
A fun night at the flicks this is not.

The FX are fantastically well done and the film clinically embraces the human corpse as a biological jigsaw, filled with foul stenches and stinking liquids.
And the attitude of the truly warped lead characters here (which means the film basically has no nice or sympathetic characters for most of its running time..another audience pleasing problem) is grotesque as far as any kind of sanctity or respect for human remains goes.

Brief flashes of violence and gore, or explicit sex romps on autopsy tables with the corpses lying a few feet away, are not the real uncomfortable aspects of the film...it's this attitude of someone's loved one being a macabre game where every part of them is a bloody playing piece.

There is no light here at all. It's a relentlessly grim wade through madness, callousness and pitch darkness.
That such a bleak and nihilistic, dour film got a few million dollars thrown at it (FX are top notch, the film looks glossy and chic and all is well crafted with solid, professional actors) is a miracle and shows that despite what many think there is a real upturn in extreme horror film making at the moment that's very welcome.

Well worth checking out if you are in the mood to wallow in the grimness of it all, just don't expect to be conventionally entertained or look forward to any fast paced thrills.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
For some reason, my computer keeps closing my window and I keep losing my post, and this has never happened before. If it does again, I'll have to quit trying to post another Tab. I have to stay up late anyway because I'm waiting for a call from Sarah when she returns to her USC room at school from a concert, but I refuse to keep typing long, personal reviews which I'm unable to retrieve from my history. So I'm going to try an experiment; every two films I type up, I'll post and then I'll try to combine them all up until I'm done. I hope that works because even I get bored typing the same thing three times in an hour.

21 (Robert Luketic, 2008)

This is an OK flick for teenagers who don't know much about gambling or gambling films. It's based on a true story and the lead strongly resembles a younger Ashton Kutcher, but the strong points are actually the inclusion in the cast of Kevin Spacey and Laurence Fishburne. The great gambling films include The Sting, The Hustler, The Cincinnati Kid, A Big Hand For the Little Lady and The Gambler. This is about par with Rounders if you like that one.

Woman of the Year (George Stevens, 1942)
-

The last time I tried to discuss this flick, I was double-teamed by Loner and Yoda who both seemed to imply that the film was sexist and that it was a fait accompli that America's second most-important woman (Kate Hepburn) would completely give up her much too complicated career to become Spencer Tracy's "slave" and housewife by cooking waffles and toast at the same time. The reality of the film is this: After Tracy separates from his wife because he cannot live in her apartment where she's on call 24 hours a day and he's a second-class citizen, Kate attends the marriage of her father to the aunt who basically raised her as her own. During the ceremony, Kate breaks down emotionally listening to the words in the marriage and she comes to a realization that she may now understand why her husband left her. She goes to his apartment, tries to make him (disastrously) his fave breakfast and proclaims that she will give up her career to become his housewife/slave. Spencer Tracy explains to her that she needs to stop going from one extreme to another. He doesn't want her to be "Miss Tess Harding" (all career, no family) any more than he wants her to be Mrs. Sam Craig (all family, no career); instead he thinks she should be Tess Harding Craig, which seems blatantly obvious to me that he wants her to have both a career and a family. Go ahead and watch the ending again if you don't believe me.

The Americanization of Emily (Arthur Hiller, 1964)

Paddy Chayefsky's terrific anti-war script is played out by a great cast, including James Garner as the premier aide-de-camp/procurer (nicknamed "dog robber" in the flick) of an American Admiral (Melvyn Douglas) who "just goes a little funny in the head" at about the same time that D-Day is about to be launched. Garner has just fallen in love with English "prig" Julie Andrews when he finds out the Admiral wants the first American to die on Omaha Beach to be a sailor and Charlie's superior (James Coburn) decides that Charlie has to be there to authenticate the happening. The film is a wonderful satire of war and sex, as well as a romantic comedy, but its main flaw is that it has just so much to say about these subjects that it should be quiet for a few minutes. Even so, the "Tomb of the Unknown Sailor" is actually damned hilarious the more I think of it.

"It's Alive!" (Larry Buchanan, 1969)

That rating is correct, and I believe that Buchanan probably deserves the Mantle of Worst Director of All-Time because I've probably seen at least four of his movies which I give the same rating. This is an alleged TV movie, but all that means is that it was a theatrical feature which ended up on TV because they were so cheap that that was the easiest way to make any money off of them. This film is par for the Buchanan course: it's utterly-ridiculous, horribly-acted, incompetently-directed, incredibly-cheap and I've already used far more words than the thing deserves. The only thing of any value in this film is that it does give one a brief look inside Onyx Cave, Arkansas, but since my intelligent father-in-law is from Arkansas, I'll be the first to say that it taints that state big-time. I don't know why I bother, but this film is so stupid that the bad guy throws the good guys into a cave where "It's Alive!". Meanwhile, his housekeeper moseys on in and provides them with food (with no bars between them) and then she walks away, and the prisoners can't seem to figure out to just follow her out the cave!!

Phone Call from a Stranger
(Jean Negulesco, 1952)

This is a surprisingly-mature film where a lawyer (Gary Merrill) leaves his family when he learns that his wife had an affair. He just takes off on the first plane he can, and on-board he meets and befriends three other people who seem to be suffering from similar domestic problems, a singer-actress (Shelley Winters), a formerly-drunken doctor (Michael Rennie) and a buffoonish traveling salesman (Keenan Wynn). When a tragedy strikes, the lawyer goes out of his way to try to repair any damage he feels for the three people and their families, and while doing so, he learns something about his own family situation. Sure, the film is a bit dated in its details but it's amazing how much people's emotions never change, so in that regard, the film hits home very truthfully even if it's mostly-superficial. However, old-school superficial seems more mature than modern superficial. Sorry.

Whatever Works (Woody Allen, 2009)

I was giggling and semi-guffawing during much of this film. First of all, I don't know Larry David from Adam, but he did maybe the second or third best impression of Woody Allen in a Woody Allen movie (after Kenneth Branagh and maybe John Cusack). Besides that, I'm starting to thing that Evan Rachel Wood is the best actress of her generation, and even if her generation is a bit nebulous, she's wonderful in this flick. Most of the other actors are quite good too but I can understand that some viewers might feel that Woody is trying to push just every PC button there is in what turns out to be a case of overkill. Anyway, I, for one, am glad that the Woodman could return to NYC and make a pretty entertaining flick, even though the critics still seem to hate him. Am I just so out of touch or are most critics on auto-pilot?

Youth of the Beast (Seijun Suzuki, 1963)

To me, Suzuki is one of the great camp directors in Japanese history. When I call him a camp director, I don't mean that he makes silly monster movies with guys jumping around in monster suits. I mean that he carved out his own niche in police/gangster flicks and then went out of his way to make his films far-out, crazy and unlike those of his contemporaries. Suzuki films tend to be known for how far they can push the envelope, but in a weird or funny way as opposed to anything highly-dramatic or classic. Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill border on camp classics, and Youth of the Beast doesn't seem that far off to me, although I'll be the first to admit that it's better in just about any way a film can be better than another. Even so, where else will you see such things as the personalized mini-flame thrower, the upside-down swinging shooting contest and the scene where you call a razor-slicing dude the "Son of a Whore" when the last time he heard those words he carved up a face into what looked like Venetian Blinds? I've added several more Suzuki films to my queue since my brother loves him, and I'll report back after we watch those available on DVD.

City Girl (F.W. Murnau, 1930)

This Murnau film is neither a classic nor a bomb, but it does have many things which make it clear that it's the work of Murnau. First of all, the sets in the city are quite spectacular, especially the cafe where Mary Duncan works and the Chicago Grain Exchange. Second, the film is supposed to have inspired Days of Heaven, and although I saw it in a few superficial ways, it's mostly quite original although it wouldn't surprise me if Malick had access to the film, but if he did, I'd say he was a lucky bastard. The closest comparison is probably the fact that there's a night-time hail storm on the wheat farm which corresponds to the night-time locust attack, but it's still not all that similar if you ask me. As far as City Girl itself, it's a stronger than normal silent flick, but nowhere near the heights of Sunrise or 7th Heaven. The DVD does contain a fascinating description and discussion of Murnau's The Four Devils which was released as both a silent and a talkie but which now no longer exists in any form. It looks incredible with mind-boggling direction instructions, but since it's no longer viewable, I wish some silly person would check out their vaults and produce it ASAP.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

That rating is correct, and I believe that Buchanan probably deserves the Mantle of Worst Director of All-Time because I've probably seen at least four of his movies which I give the same rating. This is an alleged TV movie, but all that means is that it was a theatrical feature which ended up on TV because they were so cheap that that was the easiest way to make any money off of them. This film is par for the Buchanan course: it's utterly-ridiculous, horribly-acted, incompetently-directed, incredibly-cheap and I've already used far more words than the thing deserves. The only thing of any value in this film is that it does give one a brief look inside Onyx Cave, Arkansas, but since my intelligent father-in-law is from Arkansas, I'll be the first to say that it taints that state big-time. I don't know why I bother, but this film is so stupid that the bad guy throws the good guys into a cave where "It's Alive!". Meanwhile, his housekeeper moseys on in and provides them with food (with no bars between them) and then she walks away, and the prisoners can't seem to figure out to just follow her out the cave!

Where are Johnny and Scott?

It looks so horrible, I think I'll watch it.

Available on Netflix!

Queued to No. 1!

Coraline 2009

Extensive effort has clearly gone into the animation of this clay fantasy, but the story itself lacks the personality and expressiveness of the visuals.

The Exorcist 1973

After years and years of avoiding this movie for fear of being able to sleep ever again, I was actually almost put to sleep by it. Expecting something real and terrible, the only thing truly scary was the makeup job for the girl (which I kind of applaud, because she's pretty adorable).

Doesn't the devil have anything better to do ?

Paranormal Activity 2009

Actually now that I think about, The Exorcist is a masterpiece.

Michael Clayton 2007

The acting holds up every time I see this, some very superb writing and the final scene is just completly hillarious and awesome every time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, of course The Exorcist is real and terrible, but since you have no clue what it's about, why would it have any effect on you? By the way, the Devil is nowhere to be found in the film. When Pazuzu says he's the Devil, he's lying, but he did learn from the Devil. You know, the Guy who told Adam and Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge because it was no biggie.

The Exorcist is about how the two priests duel the demon possession. I'm sure now that you've watched it, you can recall a few psychological touches here and there... unless you actually fell asleep. The Exorcist is probably the most spiritual film I've ever seen, but as I said, if you don't get it... [ask me what it means.]

I had to do a double take when I saw this because I thought you were panning the (overrated) Larry Cohen film.

With regards to losing your post; I know how you feel. I copy everything into my email drafts as I'm going now.

I still think that you have to be (or at least have some kind of respect for it) religious to really get shocked at "The Exorcist".
The film seems to be a Catholic baiting fest to me.
If you don't believe, or don't give a damn about any of this stuff, the suffocating religious aspects, that are important to much of the film, mean little and has even less effect on a horror level.

Whereas "The Omen" simply uses the Bible etc as a set-up and a setting...it is not an actual religious film and works the thrills, shocks and excitement to perfection for anyone, not just religiously devout or knowledgeable.

Saying that, I do like the film and appreciate the craft in it and wallow in the nasty horror stuff. All good fare.
And any perversion of a young girl carries with it a genuine horrific power...whether possession or not is to blame.
But all the 'weighty', 'deep' and critically lauded religious stuff seems to mean very little to anyone else but Christian/Catholic sorts who find literally everything in this film horrific purely from their religious mindset.

If you don't give an evolutionary monkey about such things...I think much of the impact of the film is lost. It still works as a straight horror film for everyone, but only the religious sorts will truly get value for money from the shocks in the film.

Basically much of the film's shock and horror are it's blasphemous aspects...but that only really works AS shock and horror if the blasphemy means anything to you.
But, that's just my view.

Welcome to the human race...
That actually makes a lot of sense as to why I never really took The Exorcist too seriously. I actually saw a theatrical screening of it earlier this year and while I never felt genuinely shocked or horrified by it (save perhaps for the scenes where Regan gets operated on, although that's just a simple unease over hospital stuff) but I still found it unsettling enough to stop me "enjoying" it as I would with a horror film such as, say, The Evil Dead. I'm not exactly sure how to best sum up my feelings towards The Exorcist - it's a very decent horror but I don't quite find it that great for whatever reason. I don't know, it's weird.

The Boondock Saints

Been trying to get a hold of this for ages in the UK it is no longer available on region 2 dvd, it came out and was discontinued I'm sure it will come out again very soon. However right now it is hard to get hold of. Anyway I managed to get a copy at a reasonable price £7, for a 3 DVD pack with Money Kings and Made Men. Considering most copies of Boondock Saints go on Ebay for between £10-£15 I'm guessing these other films will be masterpieces.

Anyway on to the film. Simply brilliant and darkly humourous. It contains the best kill I have ever seen on film, there by beating the previous number 1 Jason X. The acting is really good I doff my hat to Willem Defoe who channels Gary Oldman's spirit from Leon very well. I simply adored this film and I know eagerly await the upcoming sequel and ruin the first film.