Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sing (2016)

I had average expectations for this movie, thinking that it would be a swift moneymaker for the studio to capitalize on all the reality singing competitions on actual television. It still captured those moments, with many quick scenes that show some animal singing a funny part of a popular song. Yet once the movie gets going, the stories are actually very compelling. You feel for each of the main characters and what they are going through. You start pulling for each one of them to figure it out and succeed, and the final act executes everything well to pull everything together without letting anyone down. I did rate this the same as Moana. That movie's shortcoming in my eyes was Dwayne Johnson's voice, and I think this one will be the shorter time relevance of some of the songs being used. I don't think it will truly mean much, but there is probably a limit to how many times I can hear Katy Perry or Taylor Swift in a given time period.

This might just do nobody any good.
I really wish Sam Rockwell would get more prominent roles. The guy can act and make you laugh that's a great combo. I loved this movie back when I first saw it. I don't really watch many coming of age movies but this one had a great cast so I had to check it out. I thought it was interesting to get Steve Carell for this movie only to have him be the one character that isn't played funny.
If you haven't seen Moon or Better Living Through Chemistry you should check them out...Rockwell has the lead in both films, not to mention his Oscar winning performance in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.
Hey, he’s making another bid for best supporting actor this year as George W. Bush.

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
Hereditary (2018)

Yikes!

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. I personally thought it was brilliant.
+.

Also, My Friend Dahmer (toolazytolookitup, 2017)
-

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Suspiria (1997)

A young American female ballot dancer moves overseas to a German dance academy/boarding house. Strange things start happening upon arrival.

I won't rate it as not to be disrespectful. Many posters here have it on their favourite horror lists and its regarded as a horror classic in terms of its critical reception. Safe to say I didn't get it. I didn't find it scary, just strange. Feel like it really shows it's age as the music and visuals are very jarring. Rosemary's baby, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, Halloween. They all hold up in my opinion. Suspiria was just too different. However the general theme -Spoilers - Witches, a coven and devil worship are frightening subjects for which I'd like to see more horror/thriller films explore and yes I'm aware I mentioned Rosemarys baby and I have seen The Witch which was decent.

Welcome to the human race...
The jarring strangeness is what makes Suspiria great, though. I'd compare it to Texas Chain Saw Massacre in that regard since they both strive to be relentless audio-visual experiences that more than overcome their rudimentary narratives and characters.

Last movie watched...

Ocean Waves -

ghibli no

Death Wish (2018)

+

This is the type of movie that comes easy to me so I enjoyed it quite a bit. As much as I love Eli Roth though, I hope he sticks to horror. This is a movie that any competent director could make in their sleep. I thought this was more comedic than edgy, so we get a revenge movie that's more fun than it is disturbing. That's not my preference but I'll take it. I thought Bruce Willis looked better after looking aged in other recent movies. It looks a little too new, but adding the modern touch of social media and events being captured on video was a good choice. I am overrating it because I liked it.

Suspiria (1997)

Safe to say I didn't get it. I didn't find it scary, just strange. Feel like it really shows it's age as the music and visuals are very jarring.
That is exactly what I loved about it. I was totally drawn into that unusual atmosphere, I need to watch it again as I absolutely loved it.

also do you mean (1977) or was there a later remake as well?

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Death Wish (2018)

+

Roth shared a good bit about the first time filming Willis firing a gun. Apparently he went all McClane!!! and Roth had to tell him, "you're not that guy in this movie."

Suspiria (1997)

Safe to say I didn't get it. I didn't find it scary, just strange. Feel like it really shows it's age as the music and visuals are very jarring.
That is exactly what I loved about it. I was totally drawn into that unusual atmosphere, I need to watch it again as I absolutely loved it.

also do you mean (1977) or was there a later remake as well?
Oh whoops yea I meant 77. They’re making a remake though I’d still he keen to see it.

Death Wish (2018)

+

This is the type of movie that comes easy to me so I enjoyed it quite a bit. As much as I love Eli Roth though, I hope he sticks to horror. This is a movie that any competent director could make in their sleep. I thought this was more comedic than edgy, so we get a revenge movie that's more fun than it is disturbing. That's not my preference but I'll take it. I thought Bruce Willis looked better after looking aged in other recent movies. It looks a little too new, but adding the modern touch of social media and events being captured on video was a good choice. I am overrating it because I liked it.
I saw it the other night. I wanted a main who was a little more crazy a little more fiery. Nicholas cage kind of crazy.Willis was too cool and calm. Not sure how bronson did it....haven’t seen them have you? How Was bronson on a scale of Willis and cage?

I saw it the other night. I wanted a main who was a little more crazy a little more fiery. Nicholas cage kind of crazy.Willis was too cool and calm. Not sure how bronson did it....haven’t seen them have you? How Was bronson on a scale of Willis and cage?
Bronson played it very cool and was perfect for the role. The sequels got more ridiculous as they went on. They're all better than Suspiria though!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Voyeur

Could have been a lot better. Instead of one or two things mentioned, what about other idiosyncrasies? If people talked to themselves, what would they say? Too much time was devoted to the circus part, and both guys look like crooks, pretending to be innocent.

This might just do nobody any good.
Incredibles 2

Lots of fun and it’s unlikely we’ll get something more exhilarating and innovative in animation state side this year. The 14 years of waiting (if you waited) melt right off as this picks up the second the last one left off. Continuing on from there, it feels more like a sitcom than the superhero or all-around adventure flick that one might have expected. Its a very light entry in the Pixar canon. Themes are only ever circled but never tackled and when it comes to Elastigirl’s story, this circling can feel like a bit of a disservice. The story is really nothing special. It’s very much a re-affirmation that first movie was great. Characters don’t arc and the villain is a pretty big let-down.

All that said, I really can’t overstate how joyous this still is and, really, that’s the minimal expectation most of us have for Pixar’s output anyways. Even tough they stand still, the characters do become more realized, just without any meaningful change. You do have a better idea of who the kids are then and who they might grow into later, Violet in particular. Jack-Jack runs away with this thing and a fight scene involving a raccoon may be the winner for the first half of the year, the closest completion also being from this movie as a character chases after a runaway train.

Most of you will love this I think, it’s just that I was hoping for something more challenging.

P.S. the short film that plays before this, Bao, will raise some eyebrows and outright turn people away but I thought it was very sweet and cute.

If you haven't seen Moon or Better Living Through Chemistry you should check them out...Rockwell has the lead in both films, not to mention his Oscar winning performance in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.
Hey, he’s making another bid for best supporting actor this year as George W. Bush.
I have seen Moon and thought he was fantastic. I have not seen those other ones so i'll have to check them out.

Sing (2016)

I had average expectations for this movie, thinking that it would be a swift moneymaker for the studio to capitalize on all the reality singing competitions on actual television. It still captured those moments, with many quick scenes that show some animal singing a funny part of a popular song. Yet once the movie gets going, the stories are actually very compelling. You feel for each of the main characters and what they are going through. You start pulling for each one of them to figure it out and succeed, and the final act executes everything well to pull everything together without letting anyone down. I did rate this the same as Moana. That movie's shortcoming in my eyes was Dwayne Johnson's voice, and I think this one will be the shorter time relevance of some of the songs being used. I don't think it will truly mean much, but there is probably a limit to how many times I can hear Katy Perry or Taylor Swift in a given time period.
I agree with everything you said about Sing and gave it the same rating you did.

A Bad Moms Christmas (2017)