The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

It Happened One Night
So, Claudette... the one thing that bothered me were them eyebrows. Yeah, it silly but holy cow! They almost turned into sideburns. I got over that, eventually, and really liked her more as the film went on.
Ha Those ain't eyebrows, those be grease paint!

I know what you mean about the eyebrows. That was the fashion in the 1930s, just be glad women today aren't shaving off their eyebrows and drawing them on with a magic marker!

I love It Happened One Night, this is a 5/5 movie for me. It's one of the first classic films I seen and it got me hooked on old films and Claudette and her eyebrows too!

Heathers Is a great movie and I loved them in it, but I just don’t see them working in Ghost. Also, if they were in Ghost I think I would just keep picturing them as Veronica and J.D.
100% agree! I love Heathers and Ghost wouldn't work with them at all. Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze wouldn't be my first choice but they were HOT at the time.

The trick is not minding
It Happened One Night is indeed my nomination.
I love the movie. The dialogue is great and The chemistry is evident between Gable and Colbert.
One of my favorite lines is :
father: do you love her?!
Peter: yes! But don’t hold it against me, I’m a little screwy myself!

It Happened One Night is indeed my nomination.
I love the movie. The dialogue is great and The chemistry is evident between Gable and Colbert.
One of my favorite lines is :
father: do you love her?!
Peter: yes! But don’t hold it against me, I’m a little screwy myself!
That was a one of the many good lines in the movie. Gable is one of them actors whose expressions enhance the dialogue and I have to admit, I love the 30's slang: "if you call that piggybacking your old man don't know beans!" Just cracks me up. So I'm 2 fer 2 on guessing my noms.

The trick is not minding
That was a one of the many good lines in the movie. Gable is one of them actors whose expressions enhance the dialogue and I have to admit, I love the 30's slang: "if you call that piggybacking your old man don't know beans!" Just cracks me up. So I'm 2 fer 2 on guessing my noms.
Really glad you enjoyed it. I was 50-50 with you, as I hadn’t really gotten a great idea of your taste quite yet.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Ghost (1990)

Lots of topless beefcake going on here, but not my thing! And who knew they had Covid back in 1990 So put on those damn shirts AND mask!

I've never liked Demi Moore, don't know why I just don't. I read she was the highest paid actress in the world at the time this was made....why? She can't really act, though she can cry. In fact I also read she could cry on cue out of either eye....weird! I didn't particular care for Patrick Swayze either. I would've liked to seen Winona Ryder cast with Christian Slater.

I did however like Whoopi Goldberg scenes those were funny. But otherwise, not much chance of this finishing high on my list. On the other hand I haven't really liked anything so far, so who knows this still might do well.

I think Ghost might be the only movie that I've seen Demi Moore in, and I didn't think she was very likable in this movie, but I love the movie anyway. I think her role could have easily been recast with another actress, and this movie still would have been a great movie, but Patrick Swayze was great in this movie, and he was perfectly cast.

Having said that, I'm not surprised that you didn't like this movie. I'm not sure why, but when I saw it in your list, I didn't think it was your type of movie.

And as much as I loved Winona Ryder and Christian Slater in the movie Heathers, I don't think either of them would have been right for this movie.

...Damn CR, I haven't seen Ghost in a while but I thought you'd like it.
I think Ghost might be the only movie that I've seen Demi Moore in, and I didn't think she was very likable in this movie, but I love the movie anyway. I think her role could have easily been recast with another actress, and this movie still would have been a great movie, but Patrick Swayze was great in this movie, and he was perfectly cast.

Having said that, I'm not surprised that you didn't like this movie. I'm not sure why, but when I saw it in your list, I didn't think it was your type of movie.

And as much as I loved Winona Ryder and Christian Slater in the movie Heathers, I don't think either of them would have been right for this movie.
Winona Ryder and Christian Slater of course would've been too young for the roles at the time, that was just a off the top of my head thought. In 1990 I'm not sure who would be my choice for those roles? But I know I didn't care for either actor as they couldn't act.

I might have liked Patrick Swayze better if he wasn't done up as a pretty boy beefcake in the movie. I mean he's presented as being more sexy in the movie than Demi. That's one big reason why it didn't work for me as the emphasis is on hot guys and the director films them like most directors film beautiful women. So I could see women loving this movie, but not me. And I find Demi as charming & cute as a doorknob, so I wasn't into her character.

Also I didn't like the odd mix of glitzy, soap opera romance scenes, plus a homicidal stalking bad guy and also comedy with a zany Whoopi Goldberg.

Ghost
(1990) is a producers movie where they included all the popular elements and hottest stars to create prep-programed' box office demand. And it worked, Ghost was a big, money making movie...but I was bored by it. I probably should've said when I joined this Personal Rec II that I'm a guy not a girl!

I DO however thank whoever chose Ghost for me as I was always curious about watching it, so I'm glad I did

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It seems a lot of people hated The Shape of Water. I was surprised I loved it with it being fantasy.
I liked but found that it had too much going on. The Russian Spy side plot really didn’t do much for the film, for me. I felt it lost some steam once they freed fish man, and that happened an hour into it.
I liked the nod to ET as well.
Not a surprise but I enjoyed it as well. Have not had the opportunity to rewatch it but hopefully will

It Happened One Night one the second 30's HoF. Fun little romp. Loved the banter throughout. A Capra classic!

Sorry to hear Ghost was another that didn't work for you CR. Haven't seen that since it first came out so can't really remark on it. I do remember enjoying Whoppi though

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think there's definitely a Patrick Swayze factor, CR. A lot of people I know in real life love Ghost and Dirty Dancing and I don't really 'get' either...I think it's because they all fancied Patrick Swayze in the early 90s. I think the first film I saw him in was Donnie Darko which is definitely a different sort of role

It's been quite some time since I last watched Ghost, but I always liked it. I like Patrick Swayze but I think he's a bit too pretty in it. I prefer him in Point Break. I think Demi Moore looks gorgeous in it, but what do I know? I mostly liked it for the romance but also for the humor, particularly with Whoopi Goldberg and Vincent Schiavelli. The only thing I remember disliking from the last time I saw it was the very dated and poorly animated demons/whatever the hell they are that drag the dead bad guys away.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Fugitive

I remember not watching this some time in the 90s when my family rented the vhs but I was out somewhere. I also recall not having much desire to watch it because I thought I would find the whole false accusation thing a bit frustrating to watch. I think that is still something I have in the back of my mind somewhere, because I’ve never quite got round to watching The Hunt, even though it’s discussed positively on here quite a lot.

Anyway, I’m sort of glad I hadn’t watched it before because it was quite nice now to watch a good solid mainstream movie like this for the first time. It was entertaining, it was thrilling, it had just enough twists and near misses to keep you watching but it never got silly and you were never in any doubt of Harrison Ford’s innocence and general good-guy-ness, so you good root for him in an uncomplicated way which was quite fun.

No idea who nominated it for me.

I think there's definitely a Patrick Swayze factor, CR. A lot of people I know in real life love Ghost and Dirty Dancing and I don't really 'get' either...I think it's because they all fancied Patrick Swayze in the early 90s. I think the first film I saw him in was Donnie Darko which is definitely a different sort of role
Swayze was in Donnie Darko? I don't remember which character he was. I've only seen DD once and so long ago I can't really remember it. Good movie though.

It's been quite some time since I last watched Ghost, but I always liked it. I like Patrick Swayze but I think he's a bit too pretty in it. I prefer him in Point Break. I think Demi Moore looks gorgeous in it, but what do I know? I mostly liked it for the romance but also for the humor, particularly with Whoopi Goldberg and Vincent Schiavelli. The only thing I remember disliking from the last time I saw it was the very dated and poorly animated demons/whatever the hell they are that drag the dead bad guys away.
Yes Vincent Schiavelli was awesome! I forgot to mention that but I really liked that subway train part and his character. I wish he even had more time. You know Ghost is weird in that it feels like several different movie ideas stitched together. I'd like to have seen the entire movie from Swayze's viewpoint as he navigates the world of 'ghost' and learns what his new reality is an finally learns to accept it.

The Fugitive

I remember not watching this some time in the 90s when my family rented the vhs but I was out somewhere. I also recall not having much desire to watch it because I thought I would find the whole false accusation thing a bit frustrating to watch. I think that is still something I have in the back of my mind somewhere, because I’ve never quite got round to watching The Hunt, even though it’s discussed positively on here quite a lot.

Anyway, I’m sort of glad I hadn’t watched it before because it was quite nice now to watch a good solid mainstream movie like this for the first time. It was entertaining, it was thrilling, it had just enough twists and near misses to keep you watching but it never got silly and you were never in any doubt of Harrison Ford’s innocence and general good-guy-ness, so you good root for him in an uncomplicated way which was quite fun.

No idea who nominated it for me.

It's been a while but I do remember really enjoying both Jones and Ford as the hunter and hunted in this.

Swayze was in Donnie Darko? I don't remember which character he was. I've only seen DD once and so long ago I can't really remember it. Good movie though.
I haven’t seen The Fugitive in ages, but I vaguely remember liking it.
DD was a Miss Vicky consideration for me.

DD was a Miss Vicky consideration for me.
I tried watching Donnie Darko once, but shut it off pretty quickly. I've never had much desire to try again.