Movie Poster a Day with JayDee

Tools    

Let's just agree that's what it is and forget all the fanboys and that awful sight of her in her pants.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Oh! Android blood, thats what that was! Ok then
Let's just agree that's what it is and forget all the fanboys and that awful sight of her in her pants.

Do I need to ban you two from this thread? This isn't a place for your smut. It's a place for killing honkies, Japanese sadism, limbless martial artists and werewolves performing oral sex; it's a classy establishment!

October 7th

Today's film did not throw up any modern interpretations but there is this beautiful old poster from France by legendary artist Roger Soubie; renowned for his skill at capturing stars' likenesses and his bold, vivid use of colour

The Haunting

(1963, d. Robert Wise / Poster Origin - French / Artist - Roger Soubie)

October 8th

The number 24 spot on the MoFo Horror Films list belongs to The Descent so we have this rather freaky poster. I just hope I've not made a mistake and that this will actually conclude on the 31st with the no.1 movie.

The Descent
(2005, d. Neil Marshall / Artist - Chris Weston)

I mentioned in one of the other movie poster threads how the cartoonish artsy ones with lots of caricatures are my favorites.

I mentioned in one of the other movie poster threads how the cartoonish artsy ones with lots of caricatures are my favorites.
What kind exactly are you referring to? Got an example of one of your favourites?

Ah I see. I wasn't exactly sure what you meant but I've got you now. I think I maybe have one or day of that style kicking about iny my big library of posters

October 9th

We're off to the Scottish islands today as it's the turn of The Wicker Man. And today we have a little treat as it's another Doulbe Poster Day. The reason being is that I had a poster in mind but when I went to check the information for it in terms of who the artist was I discovered that his work has actually been utilised for the Blu Ray release so a number of you may already have seen it. Instead of replacing I decided to stick with it and just throw in a bonus poster as well.

I think this is a fantastically striking poster. The actual design work is great but what really makes it for me are the orange and blue hues which give it a very eerie vibe

The Wicker Man
(1973, d. Robin Hardy / Artist - Dan Mumford)

And in case that was too familiar for a number of you here is the bonus poster for Wicker Man. A completely different take on the film but one that fits the material just as well, if not more. It just feels such a perfect fit for the rural, folksy setting. It's like an old-fashioned sampler or woodcut print.

And as I've done before, if you'd like to examine the details in more detail here is a bigger image of it

http://411posters.com/wp-content/upl...wicker-man.jpg

The Wicker Man

(1973, d. Robin Hardy / Artist - Richard Wells)

October 10th

It's Rosemary's Baby that is on the menu today and I've decided to stick with the Double Poster approach for at least one more day. And I've decided on a mixture; one contemporary, one retro.

First up is the retro offering and we're once again off to Poland for this fun and delightfully evocative poster that promises much for the film to live up to.

Rosemary's Baby
(1968, d. Roman Polanski / Poster Origin - Poland / Artist - Andrzej Pagowski)

And then we have this contemporary offering from Greg Ruth which as well as being a beautiful bit of illustration, I find to be really quite unnerving and menacing. As well as the design details (knife, grasping hands, devil baby!) I think it's something to do with just how sparse it is in terms of colour; makes it feel very ominous

Rosemary's Baby
(1968, d. Roman Polanski / Artist - Greg Ruth)

October 11th

There were a few options for today, the majority of which were straight, serious designs. However I couldn't resist this homage to/spoof of the iconic Gone With the Wind poster just because it made me chuckle

Bride of Frankenstein
(1935, d. James Whale / Artist - Ted Hammond)

October 13th

After missing yesterday, today needs to be a double day to keep me on track. And on the back of Bride of Frankenstein it's a Universal triple bill. First up it's the great fanged one. When I first saw this poster I liked it well enough; it's very bold and dramatic, and I like the title font. What made me really fall for it though and decide to choose it for today was when I noticed Dracula's shadow and the way it falls across the girl's neck, just ready to sink his teeth into her. A very cool little touch I felt. I've also included a variant of the same design but with a different, coffiny layout

Dracula
(1931, d. Tod Browning / Artist - Martin Ansin)

October 13th (Part Two)

We've already had Bride of Frankenstein, but now we're going back to old bolt-head's single days, back when the big man was still going stag. After the contemporary poster for Dracula I was thinking about going retro, however I've ended up somewhere in between. Not a contemporary poster but also not all the way back to the film's original release. Instead here's a rather rare poster for a 1974 re-release of the film. It's got some great illustrated detail but what really caught my eye about this poster is just how colourful it is; a real break from the norm when it comes to posters for Frankenstein, or just about any of the Universal horror films in fact

Frankenstein
(1931, d. James Whale / Artist - John Melo)