JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

I was good in movie theaters when I was a kid. I remember going to see Gremlins 2 back when I was around 5 or 6 years old, and I SSSHHH'ed some other kids who were being too loud behind me.

I was only really ssshhh'ed once -- in 1993 during Jurassic Park because something my sister said made me start laughing uncontrollably during a serious scene -- and some old fart ssshhh'ed me and I had a total Sexy Celebrity moment at 9 years old where I got so angry and wanted to kill him right there in the movie theater.

or beat someone over the head with their high heels!
This sounds like something I would say.

I could see that. You could be Vita, Swayze's character from To Wong Foo. I'll be Noxeema, the Wesley Snipes character. We just need someone to be Chi Chi, the John Leguizamo character.

I could see that. You could be Vita, Swayze's character from To Wong Foo. I'll be Noxeema, the Wesley Snipes character. We just need someone to be Chi Chi, the John Leguizamo character.
All we need is a Latino boy with more legs then a bucket of chicken.

Yes, yes. Everyone always must correct me when I confuse those Portuguese with the Spanish people. Even though they're really not all that different.

I was a huge Turtles fan when I was younger too, although I haven't seen that actual film in aaaages. Awesome review though, very personal and it's clear you love it

+ repped for pics.

Frankly, I think people should be banned from cinemas... Or maybe just when I go.

I don't have to worry about young children at the cinema because I don't go and see the films they're allowed into.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
What the hell have you guys been up to? I came back and actually thought something had screwed up and my review hadn't been posted because it was nowhere in sight! You've managed to come up with nearly two full pages since then of children bashing and discussing Gunslinger's future as a drag queen!!!

Anyway....10 reps for a 5-star review of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I'm flabbergasted!!! I was complaining about 8 reps for Iron Man; I'd have been delighted to get that for the Turtles. Hell I'd have been happy with even half of that. I've posted reviews for such acclaimed films as Rashomon, There Will Be Blood, Rear Window, Dog Day Afternoon, Sullivan's Travels etc which haven't garnered anywhere close to the same response in terms of replies or rep. Some of the board's patrons will no doubt see that as a tragedy. I personally feel it's kind of awesome and why I love this board. You guys rock!!!

Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles? UGH.

I've never understood the appeal, even when I was a child. I don't even like Master Splinter.
Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything ay all?!

Why did you get two of Rafael? Give another turtle some love.
Ah yes I meant to address this. It's so long ago that we're not entirely sure anymore. My mum doesn't know if I actually wanted two Raphael puppets, or if two people got me it separately and I accidentally ended up with two the same. Raphael was and always has been my favourite by a considerable distance, and as a dumb kid I can imagine wanting two of him.

I had every gadget and toy from the original release of the toys and stuff.
And I mean every gadget and toy.
I had my fair share as well. Along with all the figures I remember having the Turtles van (or Party Wagon as I remember it being called), the Technodrome, those puppets in the picture, a pop-up book (which I still have) etc etc etc. I watched all 3 of the original films at the time actually and it really reminded me of so many figures and items I had at the time, particularly from the 3rd film. I remember having the figures in their samurai get-up with the scepter etc.

And I have to admit to having my fair share of collectibles on display right now. As a big geek I love my figures, busts, statues etc so I've got all 4 Turtles figures that were released a few years back based on the original comices as well as the Turtles, Splinter and Shredder in a series called Pop Vinyl figures. I also own a couple of cool Turtles shirts that I wear with pride!

a big metal tin that looked like a Mutagen Canister (that I used to store all my LEGO in)
Oh my god I want that so much!!! Off to ebay I go!

You review is a love letter to a franchise that has grown with you your entire life. Whether a new show, discovering the comics, or the movies as a kid, either way this is a very special movie and it shows in your review. Very nicely done!
Thanks GS. Glad to see people understanding what I was going for in terms of it being a rambling love letter rather than a proper review. For me the only other thing that really comes close in terms of something I loved and still hold pretty dear to my heart is Scooby Doo.

I was a huge Turtles fan when I was younger too, although I haven't seen that actual film in aaaages. Awesome review though, very personal and it's clear you love it
Thanks Daniel. It was actually the first time in quite a long while that I had watched it, and I was a little nervous about it, worrying that it wouldn't do it for me anymore. But it did that and more.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I only gave you rep for your TMNT Wiki piece because you would openly bitch about it if I didn't.

Yeah, and don't forget one of those reps is just for the pics at the end. I'm not reading a review of a bloody Turtles films. When you leave all this comic book bollocks behind, I might start reading again.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I only gave you rep for your TMNT Wiki piece because you would openly bitch about it if I didn't.
I am shocked sir! Shocked and hurt. You have pained me greatly.

I don't know what I've ever done to make you, or anyone, think that! Between this and calling me dumb the other day you and I are really on the outs just now buddy.

I even stated at the start of the review how I wasn't expecting many people to understand or get much rep for it. I have been surprised and greatly touched by the kindness of my fellow MoFo's, none of whom repped out of fear of my wrath.