What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Junebug (2005 - Phil Morrison)

The owner of a gallery specializing in outsider art, played by Embeth Davidtz, and her husband of six-months, played by Alessandro Nivola, journey to North Carolina where she hopes to sign a new discovery. It's also very near where he grew up and his family still lives, a family she has never met. They live in a middle class home, and they are Mom and Dad (Celia Weston & Scott Wilson), his younger brother (Ben McKenzie) and his brother's pregnant wife, Ashley (Amy Adams).

Good character piece, with very well realized details. This same plot set-up could have been turned into quirkiness for quirkiness' sake like Napoleon Dynamite or made into a gross-out would-be comedy from the Farrelly Brothers. Thankfully Junebug is an honest and introspective drama, one that treats its characters and world in a respectful and thoughtful way.

Embeth Davidtz was so memorable in Schindler's List over a decade ago now, but since then the only time I think she's been used effectively in a film was Mansfield Park (1999 - Patricia Rozema). Madeline, the well-traveled and sophisticated woman she plays here, is such a great role for her, thrown into a culture she doesn't know or understand and that she didn't even realize her husband was from. Nivola is good, and his character is the trickiest to play, leading to a great pay-off when we see who he really is underneath the conflict and contradictions near the end of the film. His brother is uncommunicative and short-tempered, working a non-challenging job, back living with his parents, with his wife about to give birth to a child he doesn't express much joy or emotion over. The real revelation of the movie is Amy Adams as Ashley. She talks a mile a minute, with responses and enthusiasms that seem better suited to an eleven-year-old girl in pigtails. But Ashley is not presented for mockery or easy laughs. Ultimately she is the best drawn of the five major characters, and the performance is amazing, endearing and layered, and her work alone makes this one to watch.

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

history *is* moralizing
like you can read in Movie Tab 2, The Big White (US/CAnada/Germany, 2005), wowowowoww, i think it's even my first World Premiere...
(Grade: AAAAAAAAAAAAAA! )

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Anygood jrs? Does he get laid?
I never laughed so hard in God knows how long. It literally is worth going to see. Trust me!

WARNING: "The 40 Year Old Virgin" spoilers below
Yes, he does get laid.

The Adventure Starts Here!
WARNING: "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" spoilers below
So that means plans for a sequel are ... well ... screwed then? *koff*

You ready? You look ready.
Valiant- Great family flick. Good for the kids.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005 - Judd Apatow)

Carell is terrific, Cathy Keener is sexy and loveable, and the entire supporting cast is hysterical. About four dozen laughs. Good times in this, now that we've truly arrived at the Age of Aquarius.

GRADE: B

The Descent - 7/10

Not bad but not as good as it could've been. It's based on the same book that, the soon to be released, The Cave is based on. The film really worked well for me, until the mutants reveal themselves. After that, although it still worked quite well as a jump/fright horror film all the tension and atmosphere that had been created in the first hour was lost. And with it, any chance of it becoming anything more than a pretty standard horror film.

WARNING: spoilers below
Also I hated the ending and thought that the last action of the main protagonist was totally out of character and couldn't be explained well enough just by what she'd been though.

THE OYSTER FARMER

Lovely shots of the Hawsbury River and Matt Day

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005 - Judd Apatow)

GRADE: B
It was way better than I even dared hope. Smart, sometimes crude, and utterly hysterical.

Carell is destined for great comedic things.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The 40 Year Old Virgin

One of the funniest movies I've seen.

Do you know my poetry?
Crash (Paul Haggis)

Paul Haggis' film Crash was a experience I will never forget in the cinema. The film's racial issues are nailed in tight, and it works just right, because with one wrong move, this screenplay could've turned terrible. But no, the movie works in every single element, and such a powerful experience it was.

Each character contributes something relevant to the film, and some interesting thoughts to the film. There was one certain moment that frightened, saddened, and angered me. The scene is so powerful, I'm still trying to comprehend what to think of the character's decision.

WARNING: "Crash" spoilers below
Officer Hanson's choice to pull the gun on Peter was just so very shocking, and made me think if his judgement of believing he had a gun was the right one. The character was so angered at people who were racist-filled that even he has contradicted himself. This was the most powerful moment in the film, for the sheer reason knowing that he'll never be what he intends to, and just pure sadness at the fact that Peter died, who was an interesting and charasmatic guy. Such a powerful image when we actually see the item in his hand.

Grade: A+

Bruce Campbell Groupie
The Dukes of Hazzard (8/10) very entertaining.

history *is* moralizing
Lost, 2005, slow like tumbleweeds, full of American myth, which makes it fascinating to me in some of its aspects, could've been better though...

Wheely cool bike girl
Girl with a Pearl Earing.
I had been to Delft last summer. And I really like Colin Firth.

Here to support the villians.......
Just got back from seeing The Island, not great but not bad either, Sean Bean and Steve Bucsemi kept me entertained.

Grade: B-