Johnny Depp - better as he gets older?

Tools    

Is Johnny Depp's acting getting better with age?
97.37%
37 votes
Absolutely. He's just getting better and better.
0%
0 votes
Bring back Jump Street - Depps washed up and past it.
2.63%
1 votes
Who cares if he can act...he is HOT!
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Strongest Girl Alive
I loved pirates and sleepy hollow and actually probably everything I've seen him in, even cry baby... I thought it was cute. but I have to say I don't think they gave him a big enough roll in Chocolat.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Johnny Depp was named sexiest man of the year by People Magazine

but we all already knew this didn’t we…
of course we did. he is very sexy.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

My three favorite Depp films are
1) Pirates of the Caribbean
2) Edward Scissorhands
3) Sleepy Hollow

He is doing good so far! So why are we worry about the future? I don't think that he would ever get too old for the parts he plays!He is too much of a great actor to do that!
As for Harrison Ford I think he is too old now to play in the movie he is playing in right now. The movie "Air Force one" Should had been his last action movie!
But Johnny I hope he stays he is so great and cute and handsome!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

In my opinion, Johnny Depp is one of the top ten actors working in Hollywood today. Who would have thought that the pretty boy from 21 Jump Street was so full of talent that he would be considered one of the most diverse actors of his, or any, generation in just a few years after his leaving the show. I have been a great admirer of his since the release of Ed Wood, and now that more time has passed, many others have recognized what an enormous talent he really is. He has been a part of my top ten living actors for a number of years now, and I always pay to see his movies in the theater. However, I’m not too terribly excited about his newest film, Secret Window (I’ve read the story twice), I will still pay to see it because it always helps to support your favorite actors endeavors. Here are my favorite Johnny Depp performances in order:

1. Ed Wood

1994. Director: Tim Burton. Starring: Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Bill Murray.
"This is Depp's first chance at playing somebody over the top and he excels admirably. It doesn't hurt that I have always loved Landau, and that this is the film where he gets the credit he has always deserved."

2. Dead Man

1995. Director: Jim Jarmusch. Starring: Johhny Depp, Gary Farmer, Lance Henriksen, Michael Wincott, Mili Avital, and Robert Mitchum.
"This is one of the more obscure and strange movies in Depp's career, and though it might not be the best movie on his resume, it is one of his finest performances."

3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

1998. Director: Terry Gilliam. Starring: Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro.
"Depp gets to prove, once again, that he is one of the most diverse actors alive today. Del Toro is spectacular as his dangerous sidekick, and Gilliam's vision can be the only vision to give a story like this justice. Hilarious and crude!"

4. Donnie Brasco

1997. Director: Mike Newell. Starring: Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, and Michael Madsen.
"The first real, hard core, seriously adult role for Depp. He proves more than worthy and pulls his weight admirably with the likes of Al Pacino."

5. Blow

2001. Director: Ted Demme. Starring: Johnny Depp, Penélope Cruz, Franka Potente, Paul Reubens, and Ray Liotta.
"Depp plays a character that is cool, smart, and heartbreaking. One of the saddest endings in any movie that I've seen."

6. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

2003. Director: Gore Verbinski. Starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush, and Keira Knightley.
"Depp is the most fun character to grace the screen in 2003. It's amazing that Disney/Bruckheimer are the first to use Depp in a way that finally gets him recognition by the horde."

7. Sleepy Hollow

1999. Director: Tim Burton. Starring: Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon, and Christopher Walken.
"Dark, moody, and slightly funny. Depp plays a character so resoundingly weak that we never suspect an ounce of strength in him, but he delivers in a satisfactory way. I laughed every time he fainted."

8. Edward Scissorhands

1990. Director: Tim Burton. Starring: Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Alan Arkin, Dianne Wiest, Kathy Baker, Anthony Michael Hall, and Vincent Price.
"The beginning of the Burton/Depp franchise and also of, "Hey, who's this Depp character?" No dialogue for Depp, but very expressive nonetheless."

9. What's Eating Gilbert Grape

1993. Director: Lasse Hallström. Starring: Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis, Mary Steenburgen, and Darlene Cates.
"Though more well known for DiCaprio's Oscar nominated performance, Depp still proves to be one of the better dramatic leading men in this quietly powerful movie."

10. Once Upon a Time in Mexico

2003. Director: Robert Rodriguez. Starring: Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Johnny Depp, and Mickey Rourke.
"Though not one of the best movies, it's still cool to see a bleeding out the eyes, in black leather and shades, Depp, kick some major ass."
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Great break-down on the best in Depp's career Slay. Now I have a whole bunch of movies I must rent.

Heh I watched 'Pirates of the Caribbean' again last night while babysitting...looked at the way he acted and I was just blown away by the amount of detail he has, even for an actor it's unbelievable. His body posture, how he walks and makes it seem as if it was part of him and not just something he slapped on for his character (i.e the Elle Wood's walk Reese Witherspoon did). He was just so real and wasn't some fabricated pirate he was this unbelievable Captain Jack Sparrow. Must rent teh others I saw edward Sisscorhands when I was really tiny, so I don't really remember it.

It's not nescarily a matter of weather or not he is getting better as he gets older I think, but it's more of what a public figuire he is- younger girls like me are starting to get to know who he is which has led to the belief that he has gotten "better with age" (though he does remind me of wine) but in reality it was just he picked a stupendous role that got him noticed.

Ok, why is it that I always miss the best threads???? I loved Johnny's performance in POTC, I agree that there were many facets to his charcter that made it stand out.....plus his inspiration for the character was genious

wheres the option for, he's always been pretty good, I don't really think he's getting better, he has always had talent

Johhny's next movie is Secret Window

Check out the trailer here

Thanks James... looks interesting...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by bloodraveness
Is Johnny Depp's acting getting better with age?
Well, according to the Screen Actors Guild, obviously so: Depp just won Best Actor at the SAG Awards for his work in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

So, there you go. Follow the link.

Who cares what they think? Depp may have gotten a degree better, but he's always been brilliant.

I must say though,that i feel sorry for the other actors in Depp's films.He is always the center of attention and always steals the show.Even when he isn't the main character he is always the one everyone is paying attention to.But thats what you get for being soo damn good. He has acted next to some of the top names in the biz like Marlon Brando and Benicio Del Toro and has totally out acted them.

Originally Posted by Nitro_69
I must say though,that i feel sorry for the other actors in Depp's films.He is always the center of attention and always steals the show.
Most of the time he is the headlining actor, so they know what they're signing up for.

A system of cells interlinked
On occasion he ends up sharing the limelight with someone like Turturro, who mangages to equal or surpass him in performance, but it's not too often.

Johnny Depp, i think, has always been a good actor and he was just always underrated, well, he does have a very strange choice of roles in movies.

Depp in Elm Street = pinnacle of his career

i have yet to see a Movie with Johnny Depp and say that he sucked in it. every movie i saw with him was awesome. A nightmare on elm street, pirates of the carribean, blow, edward sissorhand(i cant spell) and sleepy hollow. i havent seen secret window yet but i bet he was good in that.