American Horror Story on FX

Tools    

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I'll keep it short and sweet: I checked out the premiere of "American Horror Story" last night on FX - and I'm totally diggin' it!

Did anyone else watch it? What do you think so far?

A system of cells interlinked
Totally ripped off, but they executed it pretty well. I will watch a couple more!

It's something different than all the other shows I watch, and I liked it. I guess I'll probably stick with it for now.

Catching up on them today, first two I've just watched have been genuinely creepy. Definitely best Fall show i've seen so far. Don't see it having legs to go past one season mind.

Yeah, i've enjoyed it but seem to assume every character is a ghost, not that that's a criticism. Dennis O'Hare's character could be either, the character that left at the end of ep3, I thought she was one, though turns out not. Suppose Lange isn't either. Yet they all seem to inhabit the same 'other'world that it's got quite an unsettling tone where there's no certainty. One question is, though, who's paying Taint's therapy fees?

You mean, 'Tate?' LOL!

I think that kid is a ghost...
Oh! Thought he wrote 'taint' on the wall and it that was his name.

Yeah, I thought he was a ghost, that's my point! Who pays his bills??

Yeah, I thought he was a ghost, that's my point! Who pays his bills??
Yeah, I haven't quite figured out the whole ghost thing yet. Because each character - ghost or not - reacts with the environment as if they were alive. There's no real distinguishable separation between the real world and the ghost world (which is part of the reason why this show is so interesting). I think that the house itself makes these entities 'come alive,' which is why Ben, Vivien, & Violet interact with them.

With that said, here's my guesses in regards to who's alive and who's dead:

- The maid, Moira: Dead.
- Tate: Dead.
- Larry, muderous burned-face man: Dead.
- Constance, the bitchy neighbor: Alive.
- Adelaide, daughter of Constance: Alive.

See, I think Larry is alive. For one, he's only one who's been seen outside the house. Two, he's physically interacted with another character, of course, assuming she's alive to start. I agree on last two only because they seem to have aged since flashbacks. Moira is obvious as we saw her die, however the personalities of the two seem very disparate as older Moira seems to only want to serve the house, whereas younger slutty Moira seems to thrive on causing trouble- mixed motives.

Tate, could be either until we see more. His interactions seem to cover a lot more of the family, plus was he mentioned in the statement to police after the home invasion? Would have thought they'd want to check on that.

Moira is obvious as we saw her die, however the personalities of the two seem very disparate as older Moira seems to only want to serve the house, whereas younger slutty Moira seems to thrive on causing trouble- mixed motives.
See, I don't think that Moira has a split personality. I think that Ben sees her the way he does because of his past history of infidelity. He's projected his own personal flaws onto her, which is why he sees the slutty house maid. And in the flashback, it was obvious that Moira was an innocent victim, rather than a come-hither seductress.

See, I don't think that Moira has a split personality. I think that Ben sees her the way he does because of his past history of infidelity. He's projected his own personal flaws onto her, which is why he sees the slutty house maid. And in the flashback, it was obvious that Moira was an innocent victim, rather than a come-hither seductress.
That was in a roundabout way what I was trying to get at, the old Moira seems like the actual character and fits with her past glimpse and the younger one doesn't fit that character type. It was quite specifically spelled out when she said 'men see what they want to see' but it was more the logistics of it, is Moira encouraging this apparition of herself or is it entirely in Ben's mind? I can't work out how aware she is of this, there was the sub-plot of her drugging him which somehow led him to attempt to dig up her bones (which would somehow 'release' her).

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Tate, could be either until we see more. His interactions seem to cover a lot more of the family, plus was he mentioned in the statement to police after the home invasion? Would have thought they'd want to check on that.
I don't think he was mentioned. I seem to remember Violet thanking her Dad for not mentioning him to the police.

I think Tate is the ghost of Constance's son. I thought that when she was telling Vivian about her children. But then that begs the question, who was Ben talking to on the phone when he called Tate's mother?

I'm liking it so far. I just hope it plays out as well as it has the potential to. I also don't know how they can keep this up for more than two seasons, which makes me apprehensive. I hate getting into a series only to have it canceled.

I don't think he was mentioned. I seem to remember Violet thanking her Dad for not mentioning him to the police.

I think Tate is the ghost of Constance's son. I thought that when she was telling Vivian about her children. But then that begs the question, who was Ben talking to on the phone when he called Tate's mother?

I'm liking it so far. I just hope it plays out as well as it has the potential to. I also don't know how they can keep this up for more than two seasons, which makes me apprehensive. I hate getting into a series only to have it canceled.
Yeah, I hope they don't get into a hole with Tate, I don't get the impression when he was introduced he was always intended to be part of the ghost story.

I don't mind if it gets cancelled, I'd be happy with a solid single season. There's only so many plausible plots they get spin with it, hopefully there won't be a new murder-back-story every week

Last episode was a bit of a mess. Like they're expanding the focus and enjoyed Tate's storyline but there was a lot inconsistencies and awkward moments. Would like to see them develop some form of antagonist arc, that beast in the basement for one or the lore of the house. I'll stick with it and hope that was a blip of an episode but it needs to pick it's game up

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I still can't make up my mind whether or not I am going to like this. Tate is an interesting character and I do like his story arc, if they slow down and let it happen. There are elements in any given episode that should be entire episodes unto themselves so that we can really get involved and care what happens. Every time I start to get interested in something it's on to the next. Too many ingredients in this stew.

On another note I thought Taissa Farmiga (Violet) was Vera's daughter, but is her sister. Huge age difference though. They look very much alike.