Critique Our Top 10

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Sean - I currently consider most of your top 10 to be
or higher, with the exceptions being Rushmore and Annie Hall. I generally like Wes Anderson but I've never really bought into the hype surrounding Rushmore, while Annie Hall does very little for me beyond the odd spot of cleverness.

Welcome to the human race...
Redwell - have seen The Master, Dogville, The Face of Another, Nashville, Days of Heaven, and Two-Lane Blacktop. I like them all quite a bit except for Two-Lane Blacktop, which I found very disappointing.

Redwell - have seen The Master, Dogville, The Face of Another, Nashville, Days of Heaven, and Two-Lane Blacktop. I like them all quite a bit except for Two-Lane Blacktop, which I found very disappointing.
Two-Lane Blacktop is definitely more fun to think about afterwards than to sit through.

Iro - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Apocalypse Now, Akira, Escape From New York, Blade Runner, Jaws, Taxi Driver, and TGTBTU are all fantastic; you got some good taste! Still haven't seen Holy Grail or Blues Brothers... I know that's bad I'll try to correct that soon!

Redwell - The only one I've seen from yours is Days of Heaven, which is a masterpiece!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Iro - You're an Apocalypse Now and Escape from New York guy. I'm a The Conversation and Halloween guy.

Matt - Brother from another mother.

Optimus - Probably has killer Fight Club fan theories.

Seanc - Universally beloved. Kind of safe.
Thanks brother! Do you have any 70's recommendations (or even before).. I like going chronologically, comparing, and we seem we have a liking to independent movies. I was told in other forums to avoid "Gummo" but I noticed you had it on your avatar, so I saw it right away

Now that Iro posted his top 10 again me looksee....

..good stuff actually. Obvious some personal favs like Blues Brothers and Escape From New York. Dang I was hoping for something to be disappointed in.

Teeter has a good list too, though I havent seen Divergent, Lone Survivor or Maze Runner yet.

Paul Thomas Anderson directed "Boogie Night" - so you might like "There Will Be Blood'?
Those two films have no relation at all. Boogie Nights is really good, whereas There Will Be Blood is deathly boring.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Those two films have no relation at all. Boogie Nights is really good, whereas There Will Be Blood is deathly boring.
Did you watch the entire thing? I know the beginning doesn't have a lot of dialogue (and EVERYONE knows I care for the writing) but it's the only masterpiece I've seen this (or last) decade.

Did you watch the entire thing? I know the beginning doesn't have a lot of dialogue (and EVERYONE knows I care for the writing) but it's the only masterpiece I've seen this (or last) decade.
Uhhhh LORD OF THE F'N RINGS???

Yep, I watched the whole thing. But I remember nothing about it. Awfully boring film.

They're both deathly boring.
Even if the film itself were boring (and the whole Wonderland bit is fairly boring) then the soundtrack would be enough to stop it being boring.

Uhhhh LORD OF THE F'N RINGS???
And while we're talking about boring. Jesus.

Well, he probably was. But if he was, he probably wasn't as boring as LOTR. Though, like those films, he did end more than once and seems to've gone on forever.

Well, he probably was. But if he was, he probably wasn't as boring as LOTR. Though, like that those films, he did end more than once and seems to've gone on forever.
You set it up, HK knocks it down.

hk

Charlie's Angels is awful. Don't care for Taxi Driver either. Haven't seen Death Race 2000, Enter the Dragon or The Straight Story, but the rest is pretty solid.

Thanks brother! Do you have any 70's recommendations (or even before).. I like going chronologically, comparing, and we seem we have a liking to independent movies. I was told in other forums to avoid "Gummo" but I noticed you had it on your avatar, so I saw it right away
Here's everything I have rated 4/5 or higher on my Letterboxd. I've only been rating for about a year, so it's not a definitive list.

Bertolucci's The Conformist (1970)
Bergman's Cries & Whispers (1972)
Zulawski's The Devil (1972)
Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
Friedkin's The Exorcist (1973)
Polanski's Chinatown (1974)
Coppola's The Conversation (1974)
Altman's Nashville (1975)
Zulawski's That Most Important Thing: Love (1975)
Fellini's Fellini's Casanova (1976) <= Not a typo lol
Romero's Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Malick's Days of Heaven (1978)
Oshima's Empire of Passion (1978)

In regards to independent stuff, I usually don't seek out that stuff purposefully. I think "independent" is a label slapped on any director making challenging, lower budget work.

I actually didn't think that much of Harmony Korine when I saw Spring Breakers (2012), but I decided to check out the infamous Gummo (1997) anyway and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then checked out Julien Donkey-Boy (1999) and find that to be one of the most unique visions that I've ever seen. He's a polarizing director for sure, but some people seem to generally hate him as a person. Here's what Vincent Gallo (a fellow 90s independent director) wrote about him out of nowhere in his King Crimson review:

When a mini-dwarf rich kid from Nashville like Harmony Korine flies first class and moves to New York City’s Soho in his ‘plush safe’ apartment, running around town quoting Godard with lines like, "**** the bourgeois", it’s insincere, it’s calculated, it’s unoriginal, and it’s the worst thing in the world, ‘trendy’. He already knows that he and his boring girlfriend Connecticut Chloe Sevigny are going to be on the cover of ‘The Face’. He knows he’ll get his run at The Angelica and be hip in Japan. But no one will ever make an important film because they saw ‘Gummo’ or ‘Donkey Boy’.

The only impact Harmony Korine will have will be on the lives of the girls he slipped drugs to, got stoned and raped while they were passed out. An autobiographical scenario he chose to include in his average screenplay ‘Kids.' I’ll **** your ass Cary Woods.

He would later cast Korine's ex-girlfriend Chloe Sevigny in one of his movies where she performs fellatio on him on camera for real, so you can tell it wasn't an objective opinion. Herzog for instance loves Korine and starred in Julien Donkey-Boy and Mister Lonely after watching Gummo and being blown away.

Anyway, that's kind of off topic. I'm a huge fan of Richard Linklater who I'm sure you've seen movies by. He's probably the biggest American "independent" filmmaker. I guess Lars von Trier, Steve McQueen, and Terrence Malick might qualify as well.

In regards to newer guys, I think Jeff Nichols is one of the best post-2000 Americans. Some of my friends would argue that honor belongs to James Gray (debuted in '94 but took off in the 2000s).

On your top 10 Redwell the only one I saw was Nashville, thought it was terribly overrated, but LOVE the Keith Carradine song, and that scene.
Never did see Days Of Heaven but have seen other Malick projects, not a fan! I think its safe to say we have nothing in common regarding film taste.