Gritty, Natural, Realistic Movies of the 1970s

Tools    

These are mine, have you seen any of them? I think at least some of them might be interesting.

A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square 1979
Chilly Scenes of Winter 1979
Goin Down the Road 1970
The Great Santini 1979
Wise Blood 1979

Loved The Great Santini

Hardcore with George C. Scott is pretty damn gritty and it's also a movie that both Siskel and Ebert recommended.

I've heard nothing but great things about this movie for years and still haven't watched it. I think I need to, Scott is always worth watching.

Sometimes a Great Notion (1971)

Saw this the other night. Reasonable overall, can see it fitting into this genre.

Milano Calibro 9 1972 Fernando Di Leo
The Long Goodbye 1973 Robert Altman
Un Flic 1972 Jean-Pierre Melville
Lucky Luciano 1973 Francesco Rosi
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three 1974 Joseph Sargent
The Seven-Ups 1973 Philip D’Antoni
Across 110th Street 1972 Barry Shear
Straight Time 1978 Ulu Grosbard
The Silent Partner 1978 Daryl Duke
Dirty Little Billy 1972 Stan Dragoti
Midnight Express 1978 Alan Parker

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Would Deliverance (1972) fit this category (or is it too polished)?

It's been years since I've seen this. Maybe somewhere in between, but I could be wrong. I only seem to remember the conflicting scene.

Would Deliverance (1972) fit this category (or is it too polished)?
I don't remember much of anything in Deliverance feeling remotely polished (to the film's credit), so I'd say yes.

I don't remember much of anything in Deliverance feeling remotely polished (to the film's credit), so I'd say yes.
I asked because I once submitted it as a suggestion on this board for "neo-realism" movies of the 70's, but was told it was just too Hollywood & mainstream to qualify (perhaps it was the "star power" of the 4 main leads???)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I asked because I once submitted it as a suggestion on this board for "neo-realism" movies of the 70's, but was told it was just too Hollywood & mainstream to qualify (perhaps it was the "star power" of the 4 main leads???)

You know, sometimes I think when a movie makes a ton of money, people look at it like it isn't independent anymore, like the low-budget indie film, "Rocky" which fits perfectly here.