What Inspired Your Love of Cinema?

Tools    

You read the title, so tell me.
The first thing that came into my head was mythology, because when I was little it was something that fascinated me from the outset. There was also a period that coincided with that where many productions – not just in the cinema – used especially Greek Mythology as their source, so maybe that was the catalyst?

I have to return some videotapes...
Birdman. Brilliant film.

I can't really put my finger on what initially sparked it... it's been there in some form since the beginning. I loved to watch a lot of movies and TV even as a kid, though back then I didn't have much of a critical consciousness yet. And I mostly just watched kids movies, so I didn't grow up with many cult classics that others have.

I think it was when I was 15 I really got into movies and began to consider it an interest. Before that, I mostly just played video games in lack of other things to do, I was never that good at it, and I would often become bored after a couple of hours or a couple of failed attempts.

But movies quickly surpassed my gaming, I became a frequent IMDB-user, watched a lot of bigger movies that I'd missed and my knowledge grew.

Hitchcock has become one of my personal favorites of all time. Something about the suspense, drama and wit really interested me.

Boldly going.
The first movie I remember loving was Star Wars: A New Hope (Though in those days, we just referred to it as "Star Wars".) It probably had a lot to do with the marketing (it was everywhere), but it was a great movie too.

Watching films has always been a form of escapism for me. No matter how ****** things got around me, I'd always be able to hide in my room and watch a good film or two and forget about things (for a while at least). It started out just with watching television in general but then I got more and more interested in cinema.

Watching films has always been a form of escapism for me. No matter how ****** things got around me, I'd always be able to hide in my room and watch a good film or two and forget about things (for a while at least). It started out just with watching television in general but then I got more and more interested in cinema.
Yeah, escapism is a good portion of why I watch things – literally to escape for a bit.

My dad and I would take trips to one of the local video rental places and I'd wander around forever just looking at the box art. For one of my birthdays I got a dedicated VHS rewinder like the ones I'd seen at those rental shops. I guess I'm from the generation where the television was kind of like a baby sitter, but my dad and I also bonded over action movies. Jean-Claude Van Damme and Jackie Chan were my heroes. Heck, the first time I realized what death was I was watching Chicken Run and a character got their head cut off. I started dry heaving I was so panicked even though I was only around 8 at the time. That's an eye opening life experience through cinema. I was also a big reader and movies were just another form of story telling, another source of information.

I like the storyworlds.. I have a huuuge fantasy and I like to be transported to storyworlds

I like the storyworlds.. I have a huuuge fantasy and I like to be transported to storyworlds
Dune always fascinated me because of the amount of fictional detail Frank Herbert put into it. It's no wonder it's called the Lord of the Rings of sci-fi.

Watching films, especially those that really captivate my curiosity and/or interest in a subject, and seeing them loom up larger than life-sized on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, have always inspired my love for cinema. I must admit, however, that I'm a tad more old-fashioned than this present coming-of-age generation(s) in that respect, because I'm none too crazy about the constant exploding on the screen, and the overly-graphic and overly sexual scenes that all too often occur in movies that are being made today.

What's worrisome to me, however, is the fact that so many movies, both old and new, have come out on DVD and Blu-Ray, that I fear that a strong dent in the cinema business now exists that may never go away. So, for a number of years, I've held annual memberships to two independent, non-profit repertory movie theatres in my area, which not only enable to gain admission to those theatres on a considerable discount, but provide support to those two cinemas in question, in the hopes of keeping them open and being used.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
When I was a kid, my parents used to take me to the more mature movies with them. Depending on the theatre manager's opinion, they sometimes even had to sneak me in. Some of my most vivid and youngest movie memories include seeing Escape from Alcatraz, The Empire Strikes Back and Poltergeist. I loved it, and if sneaking me in was required, I got to keep the money that didn't go towards my ticket. Cha-ching!