Whats the best movie ending of all time?

Tools    

Seven, Silent Hill, The Great Escape, Open Water, Michael Clayton.. just a few I liked..

The worst one to me is The Mist.

WARNING: "The Mist" spoilers below
I would NEVER have gone out like that, killing my own child!

Wow, I'm sure we've never had this topic before. And the ironically named "king of movies" did such a great, thorough job of kicking it off. What a great discussion starter! Kudos, fella.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Seven, Silent Hill, The Great Escape, Open Water, Michael Clayton.. just a few I liked..

The worst one to me is The Mist.

WARNING: "The Mist" spoilers below
I would NEVER have gone out like that, killing my own child!
Agreed. I feel like Darabont pulled a fast one here, and I had trouble buying the conclusion. Too vast a swing in character for me to buy, really.

If they would have constructed the film a bit differently, for instance, showing the father at the beginning with a gun in his hand contemplating suicide, then show the film as it stands, with the current ending intact, then flash back to the father doing himself in, it would have added a layer of narrative that asked the viewer "What would drive this man to take his own life?", I MIGHT have bought the events of the last 5 minutes of the film a little easier.

Maybe.

And yes... This thread already exists...

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
I know you'll all kill me for this, but here goes:

My Favorite Movie Endings
Sin City
Scarface
The Return of the King
American Gangster
Little Shop of Horrors
(1986)
The Boondock Saints
Dark Days

David Lean's The Bridge OVer River Kwai.

"Madness, Madness"!

Classic cinematic poetry

Can we talk about television?

Because I think the series of Soprano definitely fits the category of best ending ever.

No one mentioned "The Game" (Michael Douglas, Sean Penn). Its ending is up there with the bests.

The sixth sense, I have to agree was excellent.

Only one person thought of "equilibrium". I it found very interesting (fun to see Christian Bale before Batman made him a superstar).

In myIn my humble opinion Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance has the best ending ever. I don’t think I have ever been as stunned as when I saw for the first time, and even though I knew it was coming the second time, I still was in disbelief.

Some of my other favorite endings is The Rules of the Game, Seven, Witness for the Prosecution, Ikiru, Roman Holliday, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ladri di biciclette, Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo and many more

twofifty.org

Pulp Fiction
Psycho
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
V For Vendetta
Se7en
The Shawshank Redemption
Memento
Kill Bill, Vol. 1 and 2
The Mist
Reservoir Dogs
Rear Window
Vertigo
The Punisher (2004)

The King of Movies
Wow, I'm sure we've never had this topic before. And the ironically named "king of movies" did such a great, thorough job of kicking it off. What a great discussion starter! Kudos, fella.
wtf i didn't start this thread.

I just love it when you are being supportive

"The Matrix Revolutions" and "Silence of The Lambs"--- WOW !!!!

both are the best for all time for me......

"The Matrix Revolutions" and "Silence of The Lambs"--- WOW !!!!

both are the best for all time for me......
matrix revolutions? seriously? biggest **** heap i think i've ever seen...what a terrible way to end a trilogy, the only good part was when neo got his eyes owned, there was a good bit of comic relief in that scene alone...
"Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." - Dante Hicks

Here's my top 10:

10. Bonnie and Clyde -
The ending brought the films seriousness to a whole new level. One of the most influential endings of all time in my opinion.

9. The Mist -
Many feel this ending is the equivalent to a smack in the face. Any ending that can effect me as much as this one has deserves a spot on this list.

The Thing (1982) -
[Creature Roars]
MacReady: Yeah, f*ck you too!

7. Diabolique (1955)
- Classic twist endings are often predictable since they have been done countless times after. Diabolique is an exception. The ending is great. Especially the last few seconds.

6. The Bridge on the River Kwai -
One of the saddest and depressing endings I've seen. It is also one of the greatest.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Classic Leone ending aided by a legendary score from Ennio Morricone that makes me want to cheer for the good guy every time I see it.

4. Jaws -
It gives me a similar feeling to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly's ending whenever I watch it. The music is used to perfection here among other things.
WARNING: "Jaws" spoilers below
The shark blowing up is one of the best scenes every put on film IMO.

3. Planet of the Apes - One of the greatest and classic tragic endings of all. The film itself is out to send a message with it.

2. The Vanishing (1988) -
I saw this movie a while back wondering for the first 100 or so minutes why it was labeled as horror. Probably the most chilling ending I've ever seen. A 20th century Edgar A. Poe tale.

1. The Usual Suspects
- I can still enjoy the ending immensely even though I know the "Surprise". It sends shivers down my spine every time.

Others I enjoyed were:
Citizen Kane
Fight Club

The Godfather
Fargo
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)(1956)
Se7en
The Searchers
Oldboy
Chinatown
Alien
The Game
North By Northwest
The Shining
Testament of Dr. Mabuse

The endings to The Others, The Sixth Sense, and Psycho were spoiled for me before I watched them so I didn't feel the initial shock that everyone else felt after watching them.