David Lynch

Tools    

There is SO much that suggests it. That's what got me at first, i always thought it was a straight forward story. For instance, think over the lyrics of the Candy Coloured Clown song when Frank sings it to Jeffrey. It's all about Freudian impulses in the subconscious, the Oedipal complex, voyeurism. Jeffrey's real story starts when he goes into the closet and ends when he leaves it, the mix of surrealism throughout, the doubles. That's why i love this film so much, there's so much in it that Lynch doesn't draw attention to like his later films, imo it's far more intelligent in that it can be both these films. It ties into the theme of surfaces throughout the film, on the surface it's a simple story but underneath there's a lot more, like the underbelly of the society.
That's a really interesting theory... I'd have to watch it again, but from what I remember it's definitely a possibility.

See the trailer here:

As i said, i'd NEVER seen it like that until it was suggested, after that it's a brand new film. Of course it's not a cement reading but there really are a lot of pointers towards it.

If you read the details of how Lynch worked to get it produced it's more than his other films, and as one of his fans Bobby, sure you can appreciate one of his personal films like this would be more than straight forward, plus it's a lot less self indulgent.

Wow, Lynch is making tunes now. This is pretty awesome.

&feature=player_embedded

I actually really like the first track above titled I Know. The second one, not so much.

Lynch has signed with British indie Sunday Best, a label run by DJ Rob da Bank. The songs were recorded with engineer Dean Hurley, who has worked with Lynch on many of his films. Lynch says the goal is to release a full-length album of original music.

[music-mix]

He's been doing that for a long time.. atleast that's what I know.
He co-writes his soundtracks, more specifically oversees their writing processes. I don't think he's ever made his own music though.

Wow, Lynch is making tunes now. This is pretty awesome.
It's finished!

He seems to be a big fan of that vocoder/autotune. Maybe he can't sing well on his own. Or maybe he just likes the effect. He's been the first one to make it creepy for me and not, well, hilarious.

He also did a few songs with Sparklehorse and Danger Mouse a while ago. He's a fantastic photographer/visual artist too as you can see in the first video. No surprise, of course.

And of course "Ghost of Love" for Inland Empire.

Lynch is the least favorite well-acclaimed director for me.I've seen only Eraserhead,but I just couldn't stand it's style,surrealism and symbolism.I don't like movies where it's impossible to understand what's it about. :/

A system of cells interlinked
But you've JUST seen Eraserhead, which is clearly his most nightmarish and dense flick?

Check out his Disney film, A Straight Story. Very touching and personal. Also, it's not impossible to understand at all...OK, maybe Eraserhead is.

Check out the pilot for Twin Peaks, also, which is brilliant.

LOVED the Twin Peaks pilot, the whole series is now occupying my Netflix queue. Mulholland Drive is the best movie of the 21st Century and Blue Velvet is great too.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Twin Peaks is the best television show I've ever watched, and Mulholland Drive is a true masterpiece, but I really didn't like Wild At Heart. The acting was much too forced (apart from Nicolas Cage) and the direction was clumsy.

But you've JUST seen Eraserhead, which is clearly his most nightmarish and dense flick?
well,yeah,maybe firstly I should have seen "easier" movies.But after I saw Eraserhead,I didn't bothered to watch any others.There are some directors which,at first,also doesn't look my taste,but I still see their other work,because I find at least one thing which I liked in the first movie which I saw.In Eraserhead,I didn't like anything. :/ Thanks for recommendations,I will keep them in mind.
Also, it's not impossible to understand at all...OK, maybe Eraserhead is.
I've read(can't recall where it was) that all Eraserhead analysis,according to director,were not even close to the real Eraserhead meaning.

well,yeah,maybe firstly I should have seen "easier" movies.But after I saw Eraserhead,I didn't bothered to watch any others.There are some directors which,at first,also doesn't look my taste,but I still see their other work,because I find at least one thing which I liked in the first movie which I saw.In Eraserhead,I didn't like anything. :/ Thanks for recommendations,I will keep them in mind.

I've read(can't recall where it was) that all Eraserhead analysis,according to director,were not even close to the real Eraserhead meaning.
The best way to approach Lynch's films, or any other abstract films for that matter, is to go in with an open mind. Let yourself be carried away and absorbed by the film... Don't ask too many "why?" but rather "how?"; how was the film crafted in such an enigmatic manner? Then you can appreciate Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. I never really cared for Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive is his masterpiece.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd definitely start with The Elephant Man and A Straight Story. "Twin Peaks" is very good because co-creator/director Mark Frost seems to counterbalance some of Lynch's bizarreness by keeping it lighter and more entertaining than Lynch would have.

Of Lynch's more outre films, I'd say Mulholland Dr is the best, and yes, you can discuss it every which way all you want, but I don't find it terribly edifying to do so. Inland Empire is close to scraping the bottom of the barrel, but Lynch fans lap it up without questioning.

Lynch is the least favorite well-acclaimed director for me.I've seen only Eraserhead
Wha?
The acting was much too forced (apart from Nicolas Cage)
Whaaa?
The director said his analysis isn't really relative to anyone else's anyway
Inland Empire is close to scraping the bottom of the barrel, but Lynch fans lap it up without questioning.
Not I sir