Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'Aniara' (2019)

Directed by Pella Kagerman and Hugo Lilja

Low budget sci fi. Extremely nihilistic, bleak and in places quite shocking. Some performances better than others. It could be seen as a analogy of how we are doing irreversible damage to our planet, or a piece that shows how humans would behave given impending doom.

The limited budget does show in places, with most of the action taking place in everyday locations that are supposedly on board this spaceship that is taking passengers to Mars. And there's a clever technique of putting the film into another world, even though the technology used in the movie is a bit dubious. But pound for pound it is a very entertaining, thought provoking film.

7.2/10

I liked Cargo (2009), and this sounds a bit similar.

Fighting With My Family 2019

A former wrestler and his family make a living performing at small venues around the UK while his kids dream of joining the WWE. Does a good job at feeling like a small working class British film and a "legit" American movie and turning stereotypes on their head.. with the likes of Dwayne Johnson (playing himself and producing) and Vince Vaughn. Based on the true story of WWE star Paige and written and directed by Stephen Merchant who has a minor comedic roll, I enjoyed it and had wet eyes by the end, quite a unique experience

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I watched Midsommar last night. It was good: 8/10. It has, of course, a very Wicker Tree (a bit of Wicker Man, but a good bit more of Wicker Tree) kind of vibe to it, but it is more interesting since you are able to follow and see drastic changes in the protagonist which does not happen in either of the Wicker movies. Also, the cinematography is fantastic. The director who also did Hereditary was a unique visual style and tone. His transitions are quite different and sometimes seamless, sometimes jarring and sometimes both. The visuals while the kids are on drugs are truly freaky and interesting. I will purchase this on Blu-Ray or 4k.

Weird is relative.

Us (2019)

Ultimately, this feels like one of those sci-fi movies that throw a bunch of wacky, far-fetched notions at you, and expect you to think, "Wow, that's so cool/unsettling!" but doesn't bother explaining them. It's like Jordan Peele decided, "We're gonna go the Christopher Nolan route on this one, guys!" thinking that "ambiguity" and "hidden possibilities" can make a film a masterpiece. No, it won't, not if the filmmaker can't coherently line up all the plot points.

Now, it was entertaining and I had fun watching it, but like many viewers I was left disappointed. I'm fine with ridiculous storylines if the world of the film itself can make them seem plausible, but this one didn't.

I'm tired of new films and shows about identical doubles, especially when one is "evil." It's been a very popular theme over the past few years.

I'm also weary of the trope where there are mutant zombie-like characters. They aren't quite brain-dead cannibals but they are demented, monster people who just want to kill, torture or injure others for fun. You aren't sure if they're really "human" anymore (if they ever were) and you can't reason with them, so all you can do is try to protect yourself from their compulsively savage behavior. Typing that out, I realize it sounds like the villains in a lot of classic horrors, but you would have to watch this to get what I mean by suggesting Peele was borrowing from the "zombie" train.

It feels like Peele also tried to recycle some of the ideas he presented in Get Out (which was far superior, in my opinion), but looked around at contemporary pop culture and said, "What can we say here that could appeal to all the fans of these various genres?" Well, he definitely failed at impressing the vegans/vegetarians, haha... Not sure what rabbits are supposed to symbolize, although I bet lots of people have theories on that too...

I'm not saying that watching it was a negative experience. It had potential, but the film simply didn't make much sense. If you read people's comments you think, "Okay, so that would connnect some dots," but there's still too much that falls apart under scrutiny.

If you're curious because of the hype, watch it; however, if you are on the fence I would say you're not missing much if you skip it, or wait until it ends up on Netflix.

Blinded by the light (2019)

Let me preface this by saying I generally try to see positives in any film i watch and not all posts will be so negative, having said that I really did not like this.
Set in 1980s Luton (England) and telling the story of Javed, a Pakistani immigrant struggling with family issues and racism, who is inspired by the music of Bruce Springsteen to change his life for the better. Early scenes stop suddenly almost as if cut mid-sentence with the lines not given any time to breathe before moving to the next and the dialogue itself is often as subtle as a sledgehammer tied to a bulldozer (I actually laughed out loud a couple of times at how cliche some of the lines were).
There are a few musical numbers where characters burst into song which are so toe-curlingly bad I worried I would never be able to listen to Bruce again and songs are repeated more than in other recent films (Rocketman, Yesterday, Bohemian Rhapsody). Javed earnestly quotes lyrics at people who react as if he is some wise sage rather than an annoying teenager, although as a former annoying teenager myself, obsessed with Kurt Cobain, this did partly ring true. After around 90 minutes I thought things did pick up slightly, a genuinely funny moment and some real drama, but then it just would NOT end, rivaling Return of the king for number of endings.

Apologies again for the negativity, I genuinely wanted to like this film, hopefully future reviews will be more positive and cheerful.

Rating 1/5

The Skin Horse (Nigel Evans & John Samson)

Putting the disabled in the saddle

Us (2019)

Ultimately, this feels like one of those sci-fi movies that throw a bunch of wacky, far-fetched notions at you, and expect you to think, "Wow, that's so cool/unsettling!" but doesn't bother explaining them. It's like Jordan Peele decided, "We're gonna go the Christopher Nolan route on this one, guys!" thinking that "ambiguity" and "hidden possibilities" can make a film a masterpiece. No, it won't, not if the filmmaker can't coherently line up all the plot points.

Now, it was entertaining and I had fun watching it, but like many viewers I was left disappointed. I'm fine with ridiculous storylines if the world of the film itself can make them seem plausible, but this one didn't.

I'm tired of new films and shows about identical doubles, especially when one is "evil." It's been a very popular theme over the past few years.

I'm also weary of the trope where there are mutant zombie-like characters. They aren't quite brain-dead cannibals but they are demented, monster people who just want to kill, torture or injure others for fun. You aren't sure if they're really "human" anymore (if they ever were) and you can't reason with them, so all you can do is try to protect yourself from their compulsively savage behavior. Typing that out, I realize it sounds like the villains in a lot of classic horrors, but you would have to watch this to get what I mean by suggesting Peele was borrowing from the "zombie" train.

It feels like Peele also tried to recycle some of the ideas he presented in Get Out (which was far superior, in my opinion), but looked around at contemporary pop culture and said, "What can we say here that could appeal to all the fans of these various genres?" Well, he definitely failed at impressing the vegans/vegetarians, haha... Not sure what rabbits are supposed to symbolize, although I bet lots of people have theories on that too...

I'm not saying that watching it was a negative experience. It had potential, but the film simply didn't make much sense. If you read people's comments you think, "Okay, so that would connnect some dots," but there's still too much that falls apart under scrutiny.

If you're curious because of the hype, watch it; however, if you are on the fence I would say you're not missing much if you skip it, or wait until it ends up on Netflix.

I feel you're taking it too literally. The film is all about the USA. The current political climate. The current undertones of empowerment, and the rise of the right. The rise of the classes - being given a voice (Red was literally given a voice). The duality of people's real side is done brilliantly. It's a way, way better film than Get Out in my opinion.

Snooze factor = Z

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

BANNED
Overboard 0/10