Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Towering Inferno 1974

A 70's star filled disaster movie that still holds up.
(Unlike The Poseidon Adventure'72, that didn't age well imo)
Features a great McQueen|Newman alpha male actor face off. Although Newman is one of my all time fav actors, McQueen's machismo level is just way higher, what a baws!

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Balibo (2009)

Starring Anthony LaPaglia and Oscar Isaac, directed by Robert Connolly, this is a gripping docu-drama revealing the invasion of East Timor by Indonesia in 1975. It is a little known story in the west, but the invasion resulted in upwards of 200,000 deaths.

The narrative focuses on the missing Australian film crew, and the subsequent search by another newsman along with an eventual president of East Timor, who went to try to find out information about the journalists' disappearance.

It watches as a documentary, which adds to the tension and viewer involvement. One is left to wonder if the newsmen were stupid or just possessed.

Available on Amazon and streaming services.

Doc's rating 7/10

They're Creeping Up on You....What the world needs is a new and improved cockroach. In an effort to control cockroaches "naturally" a company creates a roach that feeds on other roaches but only survives for one life cycle. What could go wrong? As it turns out life...finds a way. The roaches don't die after one cycle and they do what roaches do - develop a taste for everything - pets, people, crappy diner food, etc. and some of the roaches, especially the Queen, get pretty big. Like people size. Surprisingly, there were some decent practical gore effects reminiscent of the Fly (not quite THAT good) or Society (on par). Not a very good film but solid B-movie fare.

I miss my Mr Pancake (Minio) :(

The Silence

(2019)
3.5/5

Drive Angry
(2011)
3/5

After all, horror is usually concerned in some way with death, and romance is concerned with love, but love and death and how one is bound up in the other is the very essence of gothic.

Pimpin' ain't easy
The Wailing (2016)

This was on my watchlist and I finally decided to get to it after it showed up on the top 100 horror countdown. I had some issues at the beginning, specifically with the tone and the brightness. These are personal issues rather than actual issues with the movie, but the movie was good enough so that I was able to eventually overlook them. It's just over 2 1/2 hours long but I was never bored and it never felt drawn out. The little girl was tremendous and I have no complaint with this making the countdown.

Silence (2016)

Re-watch and every bit as worthy (in the correct way) as my previous watch. A genuine simplicity to this film...a straight tale. Heartbreaking and inspiring and non-judgemental. Scorsese at his best. As a side-note, I read that Benicio Del Toro was originally lined up for the Sebastião Rodrigues role. that would have been interesting...not saying that Andrew Garfield was a bad choice but maybe lacks the gravitas that the part needs.

8/10

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
I don't care about a hype, but this movie just don't stick, even if Pegg and Frost doing their best.
I'm with you on this one Nestorio_Miklos, as likeble as Pegg and Frost are the whole thing is chucklesome but weak.

I miss my Mr Pancake (Minio) :(
Shazam!
(2019)
3.5/5

I'm not really a DC fan but I remember watching Shazam when I was a child.

currently editing a post...
Highlander (1986)
aside from Lambert's cheesy accent, I think this movie should get more consideration than it does.

The sequel is the best one, but this is still a great movie.

Glass

Wow what an absolute load of ****, weird and pathetic... what you do when all your movies get succesivly worse and panned by critics and moviegoers alike.. try to latch on to an old success and the current jazz ie superheros ... there is so much meaningless froth in this movie about superheros that is just so ****ing puddled... yes I will cocnced that McAvoy and the hoard was the best thing about this movie and saved it from being an absolute discrace.. M. Night Shyamalan is his own Sycophant, a total and utter pleb. Ha!

for the hoard, **** all else

Aquaman

I don't really know what to say about Aquaman, a terrifically formulaic movie that gives us the most condensed origin stories ever given and spoon feeds us sentiment that doesn't resonate because is bereft of any originality, heart or soul, alright.