Cloverfield 2 On The Way!

Tools    

There has been a lot of talk going around about possible (and inevitable) sequel to the blockbuster phenomenom Cloverfield. Well, it happened..... Variety has confirmed it and here is what they had to say.....

Matt Reeves is in early talks with Paramount to direct a "Cloverfield" sequel, and he has also made a deal with GreeneStreet Films to direct "The Invisible Woman."

Timing of the projects will depend on how quickly Paramount can complete discussions with Reeves, producer J.J. Abrams and scribe Drew Goddard to scare up another monster tale for the "Cloverfield" sequel. There's a good chance the sequel will be Reeves' next film, in which case he will direct "The Invisible Woman" afterward.

"Woman" is a Hitchcock-style thriller that probes the mind of a former beauty queen who turns to a life of crime to protect her family.

Reeves wrote the script and will produce with Abrams and GreeneStreet's John Penotti, Fisher Stevens and Tim Williams.

"Matt has created a truly original and compelling character and story," said GreeneStreet's Penotti.

GreeneStreet will finance "The Invisible Woman," and GreeneStreet Intl. will sell overseas territories.

With a $25 million budget, a strong concept and cast of unknowns, "Cloverfield" scored a $46 million opening frame, which was a record for a Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. Paramount gave away almost no first-dollar gross, making the film a bargain for the studio.

What does your super secret decoder ring tell you about plot direction for the Cloverfield 2 good sir? I'm hoping a bit less shaky cam but that's just me I'm sure.

Lost in never never land
I hope that it isn't a sequel like another monster attacking NY. It would probably work out best if it was either a completely separate location with a similar monster, or if it was NY being attacked by the same monster at the same time, but taken by a different person, either done professionally or unprofessionally (ie. shaky cam or no) so that it starts to fill in some of the missing details. It doesn't have to fill in all, just some because that way it will keep people interested moreso.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

I hope that it isn't a sequel like another monster attacking NY. It would probably work out best if it was either a completely separate location with a similar monster, or if it was NY being attacked by the same monster at the same time, but taken by a different person, either done professionally or unprofessionally (ie. shaky cam or no) so that it starts to fill in some of the missing details. It doesn't have to fill in all, just some because that way it will keep people interested moreso.
I like the idea of keeping it in New York, not necessarily from another person's perspective but how about from the monster's POV? I know there's always this need to have people in the film but why not for once, now that they have somewhat broken some new ground here, do an almost entirely silent version of the film from the monster's perspective. We could see his origin and how he came to the destruction of an entire city. Now of course we could still have plenty of sound effects and a musical score and there's certainly plenty of side trips we could take to keep the inevitable people storyline in there as well. But I think that would be cool.

Prediction:

Box office take will be roughly half of the first one.

I personally like the idea of not knowing what it (it being the monster) is, why it is etc. A sequel can do nothing but give that type of information. I liked the first one a lot. I don't care about the sequel at all.

I heard for the sequel they wanted to make it on the same night just from another person's camera. Which sounds pretty dumb to me. I really don't see a sequel here at all - unless it's a complete departure from the characters point of view camera idea.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I doubt they will go shaky cam considering the second week drop was so gigantic.

Suspect's Reviews

I doubt they will go shaky cam considering the second week drop was so gigantic.
That's most likely because everyone hyped up to see this saw it right away.

25 million budget and it's made 66 million so far already - then the DVD will go on to sell a ton.

you think they should do the part 2?

I haven't seen the Cloverfield but planning to watch it by next week. They just need to make sure that its not a crop sequel just like other films.

I enjoyed the first but I no a sequel is going to happen but I think it will work better in the wrong one if left alone. All the possible directions the sequel could go just don't sound very good. This was a monster movie done a little differently and seeing the same thing again is just pointless.

Idea for a possible sequel: incorporating something of a conspiracy-theory documentary (like Loose Change for example) in it. Something like students trying to find out what actually happened, what the monster is, and then have things develop from there. It'd tie in with the whole modern-media thing that was part of the 1st movie. Also, it would not have to give any conclusiveness to the monster, plenty of room for ambiguity and conjecture (like Loose Change ). The material for it is out there already as well with all the viral websites.
Just conjuring this up from the top of my head though, might very well be a bad idea :P

I hope they include more insight and tie ins to the viral marketting, and take a different direction altogether with the monster only being part of the film's context, not focus.

It's most likely that the sequel will be the same attact but from a different camera. Either the military cams or another person (you see another person filming on the bridge scene). I just hope that they leave that gay viral marketing out of it. If they try to explain where the monster came from it will kill the movie.

If they try to explain where the monster came from it will kill the movie.

I disagree about the "trying" part, however, if they do explain it totally it ruins much. I think it would be cool to see different theories, but never letting the viewer which one...that would be cool.

I haven't even seen the first one yet
Me neither.
But I'm psyched.
I will rent the movie and watch it.
Could Godzilla kick the Cloverfield Monster's bootie?

I disagree about the "trying" part, however, if they do explain it totally it ruins much. I think it would be cool to see different theories, but never letting the viewer which one...that would be cool.
I agree. Leaving it up for us to decide on our own would be good.