Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

The Hill (1965, Sidney Lumet)...good movie in that it was focused on it's message, well it's Sidney Lumet so you'd expect that. I'm not going to rewatch it as I didn't care much for it last time I seen it. I think it would've had more of a personal vibe with a deeper actor, say like Paul Newman. I like Sean Connery as Bond but he never struck me as diving into his inner self for his acting roles...and this film is all about the main character and his inner self. Like I said it seems to be a well made film and I'd guess alot of people would like it.

I had The Hill on my watchlist but I won't be getting to all of them. Hope to sneak in a few more still.
I think you might like The Hill and I wouldn't be surprised to see it make the countdown.

I watch The Hill yesterday, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It probably won't make my ballot, but the battle of wits between the prisoners and the commanders kept me on board and the various subjective placements of the camera helped to put me in the characters shoes (the gas mask perspective was a prime example of this).

Since this thread is rapidly slowing down, I figured I'd nominate the next film.
Where is everybody??? Not many of the HOFers checked this out, a very few did but where was everybody else? I mean it's not like you have to join something here. It's pop in and watch the selected war film when you want. Then your name goes into the hat for selecting the next war film. It's a helluva lot of fun and easier than a HoF too.

I'm glad for those who have tried this as I've seen many really good war films here...but we could use another person now and then to give it a go and help support it.

Where is everybody??? Not many of the HOFers checked this out, a very few did but where was everybody else? I mean it's not like you have to join something here. It's pop in and watch the selected war film when you want. Then your name goes into the hat for selecting the next war film. It's a helluva lot of fun and easier than a HoF too.

I'm glad for those who have tried this as I've seen many really good war films here...but we could use another person now and then to give it a go and help support it.
Forum wide list preparation has always been less popular than HOF participation..
And then when the countdown starts and the films are revealed a lot of mofos are like; 'haven't seen it' or 'never heard of it' or 'this countdown sucks'..

It looks like the deadinne to submit your ballots is July 26, so we just need this thread to survive for another month.

Nomination #32

This Land is Mine (1943, Jean Renoir)

Deadline to Watch It: June 29

Nominated By: SpelingError
Glad you chose one. I've not seen this but it looks pretty good...You got a renowned French director Jean Renoir, a great British actor Charles Laughton, another memorable British character actor George Sanders and one of my favorites, an Irish actress Maureen O'Hara...Una O'Connor is always a treat to see too.

Looking forward to watching this!

I might actually disband this thread for the remainder of the preliminary thread as I don't think activity on it will pick up. If someone else wants to take over though, go for it by all means.

I might actually disband this thread for the remainder of the preliminary thread as I don't think activity on it will pick up. If someone else wants to take over though, go for it by all means.
Bummer, hopefully somebody will join in for a round. I've really enjoyed this.

This Land Is Mine (1943)

I'm of two minds of thought: As a movie story it didn't do much for me. But as historical cinema being made during WWII I find the themes that the movie was driving home to be illuminating. When a resistance fighter kills a German solider the Nazis gather up 10 hostages to be executed unless the man who killed the solider turns himself in. I thought for sure the morality lesson was this resistance fighter would turn himself in and be executed rather than letting 10 innocent people be killed. But no! The film drives home the point that the 10 innocent people who are executed are glad to sacrifice their lives so that the resistance fighter can keep fighting. I was shocked by that.

I still have to re-watch some big essential war movies that I haven't seen in 30+ years before submitting my ballot. This groupwatch was great Speling! Very fruitful, my War top 100 is more diverse and complete because of it. To all the groupwatch soldiers thank you for your service.

I still have to re-watch some big essential war movies that I haven't seen in 30+ years before submitting my ballot. This groupwatch was great Speling! Very fruitful, my War top 100 is more diverse and complete because of it. To all the groupwatch soldiers thank you for your service.
So what are the big essential war movies that you're rewatching? You might motivate me to check them out or at least jog my old memory as I tend to forget movie titles.