Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Unsane -

still holding out for a Soderbergh that I think is truly great, though it's not for lack of trying on this one's part

Dark Places (Gilles Paquet-Brenner, 2015)
+
Failed to light my fire

This might just do nobody any good.
Too Late (2015)

So, I’m not sure if I liked this movie or if it’s just that John Hawkes is really that good of an actor.

At the beginning, a character wonders what would happen if characters in other movies could just be handed copies of the movies they’re in as a way of getting out their narrative troubles*. It’s an eye-roller and the rest of this movie maintains that same kind of try-hard, post-Tarantino, meta noir vibe but with none of QT’s confidence in its structure (the movie is divided into 5 segments, all out of chronological order and each shot in one long take) or style (maybe it’s less Tarantino and more Altman...)

But there are also these beautiful moments of poignancy when it chooses to focus on the titular theme of regret and, my god, does Hawkes make those moments sing (literally at one point.) Characterization is not the strong suit here so it’s really all up to the actors to fill in the blanks, some succeed, other don’t (plenty of characters fill stilted.)

So, I don’t know. I suppose the first three out of the five segments are really good, though not without their clunky moments, and the last two are kind of disappointing, though not without their good ones. The reveals at the end of each do add up in a certain bitterness but not as much as it leads to believe. It merits a watch or two. I look forward to whatever director Dennis Hauck does next, if only to verify if this some kind of fluke.

*I think this makes it sound like there’s some 4th wall breaking but there isn’t any. It’s just very meta.

2.5 - 3/5

Escape From New York (John Carpenter, 1981)

All about not getting shafted really

“I was cured, all right!”
unlimited movie streaming, once register for the watch you can take many films.. follow here for a register.
Finally! I waited my entire life for this! Thank you Mr. Robot!

The Greatest Showman (2017)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Cobrai Kai (The Karate Kid series) - 8/10

I was surprised.. Main characters are there, and it's good. Very funny at times. Also pokes fun at The Karate Kid, of course... I saw all 10 episodes with no pausing, but I know a lot of it is nostalgia, but you I think the average viewer would like this even if they never saw the movie..

Way Down South (Leslie Goodwins & Bernard Vorhaus, 1939)
+
Ironically the darkest characters are white

Sauna aka Evil Rising (Antti-Jussi Annila, 2008)
+
Sadly runs out of steam in the closing stages

Stretch And Bobbito: Radio That Changed Lives (Bobbito Garcia, 2015)

Keeping it real

The Sessions (Ben Lewin, 2012)

Intimate yet distant

“I was cured, all right!”

An essay on what would become Bela Tárr's style. Incredible as in his first film he already knew how to lead the actors.
★★★★

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
And the title of King of Laziness goes to...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I hope your low scoring of House doesn't put you off watching House II: The Second Story which is a brilliantly camp and absurd movie and more entertaining than the first in every way

An essay on what would become Bela Tárr's style. Incredible as in his first film he already knew how to lead the actors.
What does it translate to? Wonder if I’ve seen this one.

Nihon bundan: Heru doraibâ [Helldriver] original vsn (Yoshihiro Nishimura, 2010)
+
Not much enjoyment on this ride really