The MoFo Top Neo-noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Generally I am just following the tagging rules, but I am going to ask for an appeal on Victoria (2015).
I haven't seen the film, but I don't see anything on all three websites. I do have it on my Watchlist, but I will deliberate in the back room and come back to you.

The answers for my 32 pics are...

High & Low, Point Blank, In the Heat of the Night, The Naked Kiss, The Driver, The Conformist, Chinatown, The Long Goodbye, Night Moves, Straight Time, Blow Out, Body Heat, Angel Heart, To Live and Die in L.A., Thief, Blade Runner, L.A. Confidential, SE7EN, Romeo is Bleeding, The Hot Spot, Shallow Grave, One Flase Move, The Grifters, Dead Again, Memento, SIN CITY, Zodiac, No Country for Old Men, Blue Ruin, Inherent Vice, Driver, and Nightcrawler
Dammit! The Blue Ruin was nagging at the back of my brain I knew I had seen it. Just couldn't place it. Good game.

@Thief

What about You Were Never Really Here?

Wikipedia calls it Neo-Noir, but the other sites don't seem to agree.
IMDB does list neo-noir as one of the keywords, so it should count.

IMDB does list neo-noir as one of the keywords, so it should count.
Sweet. I looked at the keywords, but missed it. It's way down on the list but still counts.

Thanks for helping clarify. I can't believe I missed that it says "at the bottom of the page: for wiki in the eligibility rules. I think I'm losing it.

All of the ones I listed were eligible except Sonatine and Sexy Beast.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
All of the ones I listed were eligible except Sonatine and Sexy Beast.

Sonatine is on the Wikipedia list of neo-noir linked in the third post. But doesn't appear to be eligible based on tags/keywords as per the first post.

The people who add the IMDb keywords are of course the experts in this field. It's ok though because if we ever do a countdown of "existential loneliness", "fight in an elevator"* or "nipples visible through clothing", it will be right up there.

*(May lose this particular countdown to Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Drive)

Apologies, but as I go through my list of possibilities, I'm probably going to question quite a few. Even after watching various videos explaining neo-noir, I'm not at all sure I totally grasp the definition.

Anyway, what about American Gangster? Wikipedia lists "American neo-noir films" at the bottom of the page, but IMDb and TMDb don't seem to agree.

It's been awhile since I last watched it and I don't actually know if I'd vote for it, but I'm also not going to bother with a rewatch right now until I know if it's eligible.

Apologies, but as I go through my list of possibilities, I'm probably going to question quite a few. Even after watching various videos explaining neo-noir, I'm not at all sure I totally grasp the definition.

Anyway, what about American Gangster? Wikipedia lists "American neo-noir films" at the bottom of the page, but IMDb and TMDb don't seem to agree.

It's been awhile since I last watched it and I don't actually know if I'd vote for it, but I'm also not going to bother with a rewatch right now until I know if it's eligible.
I haven't seen American Gangster, but it seems Wikipedia is the only one that has it in a neo-noir category, but that's it. There's not even a single mention of noir in its whole article, and none of the other sites back up the "neo-noir" label, so it wouldn't be eligible. As far as I can see, it seems to be more like a crime biopic.

The answers for my 32 pics are...

High & Low, Point Blank, In the Heat of the Night, The Naked Kiss, The Driver, The Conformist, Chinatown, The Long Goodbye, Night Moves, Straight Time, Blow Out, Body Heat, Angel Heart, To Live and Die in L.A., Thief, Blade Runner, L.A. Confidential, SE7EN, Romeo is Bleeding, The Hot Spot, Shallow Grave, One Flase Move, The Grifters, Dead Again, Memento, SIN CITY, Zodiac, No Country for Old Men, Blue Ruin, Inherent Vice, Driver, and Nightcrawler
Ok, the ones in bold are the ones I hadn't thought of as neo-noir, so Id love to get your (or anyone's) insights. Thanks in advance!

Question: is The Killer (2023) neo noir?
I still haven't seen The Killer (might watch it tonight or tomorrow), but it has a "neo-noir" tag on IMDb. As far as Wikipedia or Letterboxd, nothing yet, and it needs at least two. Considering that it's a film that just premiered on Netflix today, let's give this one some time before we decide.
I watched the film last night. It was nicely done, but apart from some of the photography, and it's title being reminiscent of two classic noirs, I don't know what would qualify The Killer as being neo-noir. To me it's just another hit man movie with a happy ending.
I just saw it yesterday and I partially agree with Gulfport. Regardless, at this point, it's not eligible based on the criteria.

Interesting. I'll submit a list for this. I have about 30 already. Need to cut a few out. I think this will throw up an interesting final list as Neo-Noir is quite broad.

BTW, are we gonna get a neo noir recommendations thread or group watch or something?
I'm preparing something for today that might be fun. Stay tuned.

I'm preparing something for today that might be fun. Stay tuned.
As promised, I just put up a thread for a Neo-noir Scavenger Hunt. So if anybody is interested, click the link and follow the instructions.

Tech Noir is really an offshoot or subgenre of Neo Noir. Some are both, like Blade Runner, but to me stretching that far to include Brazil isn't really necessary. There are so many things that fall under Neo Noir, just stick to that. It's already a huge umbrella.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ok, so to answer John's question, or anybody else that was wondering... the ballot tool is ready.

Vote here

The link is also available in the OP, so feel free to send in your ballots whenever you want.