Microsoft's 'Halo' Could Go to the Movies

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
and I dare you to show me a perfect video game.
Oh boy, you just did it now. I tell you there are several perfect games, but I will only tell you the one that had no downs the entire time you played it. Final Fantasy VII. Unless you played it, don't say there isn't a perfect game.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by John McClane
Oh boy, you just did it now. I tell you there are several perfect games, but I will only tell you the one that had no downs the entire time you played it. Final Fantasy VII. Unless you played it, don't say there isn't a perfect game.
No Johnny, there is no perfect game, or everyone would be playing it, and only it. FF VII wasn't even close to perfect. It had MANY problems, but was so revolutionary it just didn't matter.

Consider these things about FF VII:

Pre-rendered backgrounds you couldn't interact with much

A steep learning curve for the materia system that turned a lot of gamers off
(I loved it myself, but it did take some time to get the hang of things)

A ridiculously confusing storyline. I loved the story, but it certainly wasn't a clear narrative. I have seen many, many complaints about the story being to vague/convoluted. I don't really agree, but I spent a lot of time with the game and really got into it. If I had just sort of casually played the game, I would have been lost with the story. There are sites dedicated to explaining the plot, and they have pages and pages of random story threads, unfinished parts of the story, and stuff that still isn't explained. I enjoy a complex plot, but this was ridiculous. Jenova, Safer Sepharoth, Lucretia and Vincent, Bugehagen, Cloud's personality disorder, and on and on and on... I comend the writers for compiing so many ideas into one game, but you really need to play through it multiple times to get everything. And No way was I sitting through the whole thing more than twice. I must say I did really get into the story the second time through, and it is one of the best RPG stories, if not THE best ever. It just could be executed better.

Random battles - This facet of RPG games is now finally being phased out by game developers, and it's about time. Random battles = useless and annoying. I enjoyed the combat system in FFVII big time, but not enough to fight every five seconds while trying to explore. After I had completed the game, A frind of mine and I started it over and ran from exactly 4 out of 5 random battles, and our characters ended up just as powerful at the end, because you got such minimum experience from all the random battles for the first 3/4 of the game. I guess we just got sick of the battle music.

Summons - Although the summons were one of the cooler facets of the game, they got OLD. How many times could you watch Bahamut? Knights of the Round? I could make lunch while Knights of the Round was going off, and don't get me started on that spell Sepheroth used at the end. I think it took about 40 second for the animation to go off...40 seconds!! Every time he would do the spell, which was a lot, I would groan and fly to Zimbabwe and back. The final battle was SO monotonous. Square/Enix now has a "short mode" for the summons in the newer FF games, which is a good thing, and shows that clearly, there was a problem.

Ruby/Emerald Weapon - I hated these guys. But they weren't required to win so it isn't that big of a complaint. Still, more endless summon spells while I took naps in between. Yawn.

I feel that FFVII is one of the best RPGs ever made, but it by no stretch of the imagination, perfect. One of my favorites of all time though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
FFVII was a great game, in fact it was the only reason I owned a Playstation. I enjoyed FFVIII more though. Then Championship Manager came along.....

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by John McClane
I haven't played it, but I'm sure it's impressive. I'd play it to defend my argument, but then I'd be unconsciously comparing an older game to newer standards (which wouldn't be fair). Instead, I'll concede that it may yet be perfect. (On a side note, I'd be curious to know which other games you consider "perfect.")

Getting back to the topic, I've read that Bungie is supposedly very pleased with the current draft of this Halo screenplay. What, then, does that indicate about the story? Will Master Chief be the protagonist, or will they focus on a separate story operating in the Halo/Halo2 timeline?

Yes, I know. It is great.
Originally Posted by Sedai
No Johnny, there is no perfect game, or everyone would be playing it, and only it. FF VII wasn't even close to perfect. It had MANY problems, but was so revolutionary it just didn't matter.

Consider these things about FF VII:

Pre-rendered backgrounds you couldn't interact with much

A steep learning curve for the materia system that turned a lot of gamers off
(I loved it myself, but it did take some time to get the hang of things)

A ridiculously confusing storyline. I loved the story, but it certainly wasn't a clear narrative. I have seen many, many complaints about the story being to vague/convoluted. I don't really agree, but I spent a lot of time with the game and really got into it. If I had just sort of casually played the game, I would have been lost with the story. There are sites dedicated to explaining the plot, and they have pages and pages of random story threads, unfinished parts of the story, and stuff that still isn't explained. I enjoy a complex plot, but this was ridiculous. Jenova, Safer Sepharoth, Lucretia and Vincent, Bugehagen, Cloud's personality disorder, and on and on and on... I comend the writers for compiing so many ideas into one game, but you really need to play through it multiple times to get everything. And No way was I sitting through the whole thing more than twice. I must say I did really get into the story the second time through, and it is one of the best RPG stories, if not THE best ever. It just could be executed better.

Random battles - This facet of RPG games is now finally being phased out by game developers, and it's about time. Random battles = useless and annoying. I enjoyed the combat system in FFVII big time, but not enough to fight every five seconds while trying to explore. After I had completed the game, A frind of mine and I started it over and ran from exactly 4 out of 5 random battles, and our characters ended up just as powerful at the end, because you got such minimum experience from all the random battles for the first 3/4 of the game. I guess we just got sick of the battle music.

Summons - Although the summons were one of the cooler facets of the game, they got OLD. How many times could you watch Bahamut? Knights of the Round? I could make lunch while Knights of the Round was going off, and don't get me started on that spell Sepheroth used at the end. I think it took about 40 second for the animation to go off...40 seconds!! Every time he would do the spell, which was a lot, I would groan and fly to Zimbabwe and back. The final battle was SO monotonous. Square/Enix now has a "short mode" for the summons in the newer FF games, which is a good thing, and shows that clearly, there was a problem.

Ruby/Emerald Weapon - I hated these guys. But they weren't required to win so it isn't that big of a complaint. Still, more endless summon spells while I took naps in between. Yawn.

I feel that FFVII is one of the best RPGs ever made, but it by no stretch of the imagination, perfect. One of my favorites of all time though.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *takes a breath* ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Please no more game to movie adaptations! If this sees the light of day then I can sense Uwe Boll trying to direct a Half-Life movie.

I don't really see how Halo 2 was "the exact same game" as Halo. Sure, they are similar (as you pointed out), but look at the last three Grand Theft Auto games. GTA III refreshed the series, but the following two installments are no more "new" or "refreshing" than Halo 2 is of its predecessor (and they're still fantastic games).
Off topic but GTA VC and GTA SA are definitely refreshers in a series. Vice City brought in a new 80's theme and classic style cars and motorcycles not to mention a different type of plot, also letting you go to clubs and such. While San Andreas brought the theme of the 90's area and brought new featues like going to the gym, tons of mini features and a whole new flavor of GTA gaming. They brought the ghetto type plot in and it was jsut a whole different feel of gaming for me.
Halo on the other hand tends to be boring and the scenery seems similiar. It kinda makes you feel like your playing Halo 1 all over again except for duel wields and a few different features.

Originally Posted by dillskies88
Off topic but GTA VC and GTA SA are definitely refreshers in a series. Vice City brought in a new 80's theme and classic style cars and motorcycles not to mention a different type of plot, also letting you go to clubs and such. While San Andreas brought the theme of the 90's area and brought new featues like going to the gym, tons of mini features and a whole new flavor of GTA gaming. They brought the ghetto type plot in and it was jsut a whole different feel of gaming for me.
Halo on the other hand tends to be boring and the scenery seems similiar. It kinda makes you feel like your playing Halo 1 all over again except for duel wields and a few different features.
Speaking about GTA SA it's got a AO rating now. They are taking it out of a lot of places.

Too bad I got my copy awhile ago.

Because of that sex mini game?

Haha thats pretty funny stuff. I actually think I heard on the local news the other day, while i was in the other room that a game had sex games and was to be given adult rating. Didn't kick in that it was GTA SA for the PC haha.

Is this a howhalosucksandgtaisbetter thread or is it a halomovie thread?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
It can be anything you want it to be through the magic of imagination. But don't take my word for it, see for yourself!

Who would cast? Hope fully not old Vin Diesal as anyone...

As who again?

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Yes this is just a big rumor but I think Spielberg could do a good job of this. They have been talking about this movie for a long time it's about time something happens.

Spielberg to direct a live-action Halo?

Oct 6, 2011

Take this with a huge grain of salt for now, but a French press release for the upcoming novel Halo: Cryptum has been released (via Digital Spy) that Steven Spielberg is attached to direct a live-action adaptation of Halo for Dreamworks. This is just a rumor for right now, and we shouldn’t get too excited even if it turns out to be true. Spielberg is already set to direct Robocalypse for release in 2013, and it’s unknown if this film is in he long slate of directing duties.