Favorite Shots of All Time

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
The last scene from Mike Leigh's Naked where Johnny limps into the morning half-light and advances painfully up the street, leaving behind the promise of a cosy 'normal' life.....

Geez, I'm a happy little camper tonight eh?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by adidasss
it's silly to mention LOTR because every other scene is awsome and memorable...it's too easy...
No it isn't. Meanwhile you mention Gladiator, which is hands down Ridley Scott's worst film (And Scott is a favorite of mine). How about the shot where the digital bird flies over the digital sunset? I think people meant shots done through an actual camera, but I could be wrong. For a new member, you sure flame a lot. That's my job....

Pulp Fiction - Closeup of Jules' face towards the beginning, at the end of his "Ezekial 25:17" recital.

The Abyss - Shot of the giant wave at the end

2001: A Space Odyssey - First appearance of the black monolith (when the apes crowd around it)

Goodfellas - The overhead view of Tommy's (Joe Pesci) body.

Once Upon A Time in Mexico - The shot of Johnny Depp shooting the cook and the blood spraying on the camera

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I love the bit in Requiem for a Dream where one of the Wayans brothers is in his cell going cold turkey, the films looks like its going to come to the end of a real its difficult to explain, but it's one very cool effect. Anyone who hasn't seen this film, I highly recommend it, there are loads of cool shots, a visual masterpiece, not for the faint hearted though.

Welcome to the human race...
My favourite shots...

[b]The Terminator[/i] - after the truck has exploded, Kyle and Sarah hug each other saying "We did it, we got him" - then the Terminator endoskeleton just rises out of the wreckage. Brilliant.

Shaun of the Dead - the whole single-take where Shaun walks down the street without noticing the zombies. That is the golden moment of the movie.

Apocalypse Now - where Willard appears out of the river. Also the opening napalm shot.

I'll continue this later...

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Well... your username fits... the last part that is...
why this???...did you somehow find yourself insulted by my post? btw i think LOTR are the best movies in history...so i don't understand the need for the insult...

Originally Posted by Sedai
For a new member, you sure flame a lot.
i flame a lot?dude...i have like 20 posts, how could i possibly flame A LOT?! wow, that was such a random statement...and completly unbacked...
No it isn't. Meanwhile you mention Gladiator, which is hands down Ridley Scott's worst film (And Scott is a favorite of mine)..
movie tastes are subjective, what represents a bad movie for you is one of the best i've seen...
How about the shot where the digital bird flies over the digital sunset? I think people meant shots done through an actual camera, but I could be wrong
don't remember that shot of the digital bird, but that scene was very emotional for me,an amaizing visual and sound experience...if you didn't see it that way...

i flame a lot?dude...i have like 20 posts, how could i possibly flame A LOT?! wow, that was such a random statement...and completly unbacked...
Right, my statement is completely unfonded. That is why myself, and a Mod have commented on your conduct. Most of your posts are flames, just call them all up and read them, hence "you flame a alot for a new member".

As for Gladiator, I am well aware that films are subjective, and was just posting my opinion about the film, same as you. I think people get annoyed when a new member comes in to the forums attacking others, or in your case, a whole demographic (see: Subtitles or Dubbed English). Your posts are assumptive and sometimes derogatory, and people aren't going to sit by and not say anything to people who conduct themselves in such a way.

But, why don't we put a stop to this right now, so you can perhaps enjoy these forums as much as some others do. My comment was a bit out of line, and stemmed from some of the other posts of yours I had read. My bad, and I apologize. Just understand that coming down on a whole group of people about things that just aren't true (plenty of wenterners read subtitles and enjoy them, myself included) will almost always invoke negative responses. Perhaps stop my the introduction thread, introduce yourself, and tell people a bit about who you are, and about Croatia, as some of us may be interested in learning a a bit about the place.

Again, let's not get off on the wrong foot here, potentially ruining what could be a good experience for you.

Welcome to MoFo.

why this???...did you somehow find yourself insulted by my post? btw i think LOTR are the best movies in history...so i don't understand the need for the insult...

This thread originally asked what film shots were members own personal 'all time favorites' … which RadeTagean listed… and you, in turn, belittled by stating his/her choice was silly… now, in light of your last post, I feel you did not realize how what you posted sounded and am willing to apologize for calling you an a$$…. that is if you will concede that you really don't know how the some odd 295,734,134 Americans you spoke for in THIS post really feel about subtitles ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
This thread originally asked what film shots were members own personal 'all time favorites' … which RadeTagean listed… and you, in turn, belittled by stating his/her choice was silly… now, in light of your last post, I feel you did not realize how what you posted sounded and am willing to apologize for calling you an a$$…. that is if you will concede that you really don't know how the some odd 295,734,134 Americans you spoke for in THIS post really feel about subtitles ...

i really don't know how the some odd 295,734,134 Americans i spoke for in THIS post really feel about subtitles ..
sorry, i get my info from the movies and tv...although i did say that REAL movie fans don't care about subtitles...maybe, if i was born in america i would feel the same way about subtitles, maybe they would tire me and maybe i would be put off by them if i wasn't raised with subtitles and in contact with them on a day to day basis....

although i did say that REAL movie fans don't care about subtitles...maybe, if i was born in america i would feel the same way about subtitles, maybe they would tire me and maybe i would be put off by them if i wasn't raised with subtitles and in contact with them on a day to day basis....
I always found subtitles to be rather annoying. You can somewhat loose out on the total imagery of the picture when your busy reading the words at the bottom of the screen. One can say your not a movie fan if you don't appreciate the total scenic picture involved in each frame. But of course that is false too. Then you have to deal with some movies who rather seem to be made only for speed readers.

We all watch movies for our own personal reasons. There is not an official rulebook put out there to tell us if we are a "True" movie fan or not. And if there were, i think it would be unfair to do so.

i really don't know how the some odd 295,734,134 Americans i spoke for in THIS post really feel about subtitles ..
sorry, i get my info from the movies and tv...although i did say that REAL movie fans don't care about subtitles...maybe, if i was born in america i would feel the same way about subtitles, maybe they would tire me and maybe i would be put off by them if i wasn't raised with subtitles and in contact with them on a day to day basis....
You have missed the point. Many Americans like, and even prefer subtitles. You do realize that movies and TV present an incredibly skewed view of things, don't you? Man, I am getting Deja Vu here, explaining how actual life is not like TV or film...

Would you think it was a fair assumption if I said all croatians stereotype Americans without a solid referent? I don't believe you would think that was fair, and it wouldn't be. Yes, our country has our fair share of narrow-minded, foolish people who don't like to try new things or won't give foreign cultures a second glance, but there are just as many people who don't think that way. I would think every country is that way...

Meanwhile: Se7en - The shot where Pitt is taken down in the alley by John Doe, and he looks up and you get a POV shot up at John, all shadows and rain...

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
oooooooch Round 2 ding ding!

City of Angels --- Maggie is riding her bike with no hands and as she looks ahead at the road a shadow covers her face and.......watch the film, that bit really got me

The Graduate ---- ELaine! Elaine! glass banging scene is great

'Hello darkness my old friend...' when this song comes on in the film, the pool shots

Originally Posted by Escape
I always found subtitles to be rather annoying. You can somewhat loose out on the total imagery of the picture when your busy reading the words at the bottom of the screen. One can say your not a movie fan if you don't appreciate the total scenic picture involved in each frame. But of course that is false too. Then you have to deal with some movies who rather seem to be made only for speed readers.

We all watch movies for our own personal reasons. There is not an official rulebook put out there to tell us if we are a "True" movie fan or not. And if there were, i think it would be unfair to do so.
i guess if you're not used to it that is true, but reading subtitles whilst watching the movie or show comes very naturaly for me, and even though i could watch the entire movie without reading them, i find myself glancing at them all the time, it's just become second nature to me, i can't not look...and when 99.9% of the stuff you watch on tv or in the cinema you become a speed reader...

Would you think it was a fair assumption if I said all croatians stereotype Americans without a solid referent? I don't believe you would think that was fair, and it wouldn't be. Yes, our country has our fair share of narrow-minded, foolish people who don't like to try new things or won't give foreign cultures a second glance, but there are just as many people who don't think that way. I would think every country is that way...
just a quick rebuttle to this and then we'll call this matter closed...
first of all i would not consider it unfair if you said that all croatians stereotype americans without a solid referent because it is simply true, as does the rest of the world
second, i know the narrow-minded, foolish people who don't like to try new things and won't give foreign cultures a second glance are not a minority but a majority in the USA...it's just a fact...and don't try to convince me of othervise...i would call those other people you are talking about intelectuals, and intelectuals are a minority in every country, including coratia..i don't drain my knowledge of the american culture just from tv series and movies but also from a fare share of documentaries on the american lifestyle...

just a quick rebuttle to this and then we'll call this matter closed...
first of all i would not consider it unfair if you said that all croatians stereotype americans without a solid referent because it is simply true, as does the rest of the world
second, i know the narrow-minded, foolish people who don't like to try new things and won't give foreign cultures a second glance are not a minority but a majority in the USA...it's just a fact...and don't try to convince me of othervise...i would call those other people you are talking about intelectuals, and intelectuals are a minority in every country, including coratia..i don't drain my knowledge of the american culture just from tv series and movies but also from a fare share of documentaries on the american lifestyle...
the matter is almost closed...

Sorry, but you are stating some things that just aren't true, while some of your other statements, unfortunately, are true. First of all, you yourself stated you got your knowledge from TV and film, just scroll up a few posts.

sorry, i get my info from the movies and tv.
Sorry if I misunderstood. You previously stated Americans and other westerners didn't like subtitles in post number fifty HERE, am I not correct?

I also want to make sure I understand what this post I have quoted above states:

-You claim the people I call "other people" are intellectuals, simply based on the fact that they read and enjoy subtitles.

-You now claim every country has a minority of Intellectuals.

So... wouldn't think the whole world doesn't watch films with subtitles, and not just folks in the USA and the west?

Arresting your development
I like watching Croatia television shows. I just love the Croatia version of Bob Barker in that one game show. I think they give him Jersey style subtitles.

So... wouldn't think the whole world doesn't watch films with subtitles, and not just folks in the USA and the west?
actually, i am referring to people in rich western countries,those countries have enough money to produce quality tv programs and films, therefore since the people in those countries watch 99.9% of the programs in their native language they in my opinion have a problem with watching shows or movies that are not in their native language and are subtitled.
smaller and poorer countries don't produce many quality tv programs so they are forced to buy foreign programs ( not only in english ) and the people are therefore used to subtitles...and those kind of countries are a majority in the world...

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
I like watching Croatia television shows. I just love the Croatia version of Bob Barker in that one game show. I think they give him Jersey style subtitles.
i have no idea who bob barker is...
anyway back to favourite scenes :
american beauty - the dancing plastic bag scene
pulp fiction - the "what does marcelus wallace look like" scene - legendary

Arresting your development
i have no idea who bob barker is...
anyway back to favourite scenes :

The price is wrong bnaughty wordTCh.

Announcer: We haven't seen Happy Gilmore play this badly since his first day on tour. He and Bob Barker are now dead last.
Bob Barker: I can't believe you're a professional golfer. I think you should be working at the snack bar.
Happy Gilmore: You better relax, Bob.
Bob Barker: There is no way that you could have been as bad at hockey as you are at golf.
Happy Gilmore: All right, let's go.
[Happy punches Bob in the face. Bob grunts as he stumbles to the ground]
Happy Gilmore: [after punching Bob Barker to the ground] You like THAT old man? You want a piece of ME?
Bob Barker: [shakes his head as he get up from the ground] I don't want a PIECE of you, I want the whole THING!
[Bob punches Happy in the stomach once then punches him in the face ten times. His tenth blow causes happy to fall into a small pond]