A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

My memory of it is it feels like it has a tonne of promise at the beginning,and then slowly chipped away at my expectations as it went along.

But at no point was it anything less than decent, which is way more than I can say for the similarly well received The Sadness, which I thought was shit.

That sounds like my general summary of most of the IFC Midnight movies I can name off of the top of my head (The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Hunter Hunter, The Innocents (2021), Watcher).

ETA: I guess I haven't seen Skinamarink nor Relic, which are the two that people generally speak well of. Though now that I know Relic is IFC Midnight, I have a weird feeling I know what I'm going to expect from it in terms of quality (which isn't bad, but it's that proverbial "good, but not great" range).

I forgot the opening line.

RELIC - (2020)

I've rarely seen a film completely abandon itself to it's metaphorical and analogous intentions in the way Relic does during it's final act - the only other that immediately comes to mind is 2001 : A Space Odyssey, although I'm sure that's more because of how unforgettable that one is. Anyway, yeah - this movie - liking it depends on how willing you are to abandon any sense you have of this happening in the real world. The best way I can describe it is thus - you know how dementia and diseases like Alzheimer's can only be perceived directly by the sufferer? Well, imagine a world in which these mental afflictions had supernatural effects on the home you share with the afflicted, with the attendant confusion, decay, change and fear. The elderly Edna (Robyn Nevin) has her daughter Kay (Emily Mortimer) and granddaughter Sam (Bella Heathcote) visit her, whereupon the two latter discover that Edna is starting to lose her grip - and that this decline is working in tandem with a kind of rotting, haunting effect in the house itself. Call them what you will - these gremlins that rob you of your capacity for coherent thought are stealing into the house and eating away at Edna's personality, peace of mind and even physical body. Relic's final moments provide a sad but somehow very satisfying conclusion to a movie that isn't at all concerned with providing a normal narrative close to proceedings, and instead does something pleasingly different.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 3/10
Discomfort : 6/10
Art : 8/10
Weird : 7/10
Fun : 6/10
Interesting : 7/10
Enjoyable : 8/10
Exciting : 6/10

Overall : 7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I also enjoyed Relic. Like you say, it gives itself over completely to horror-as-allegory, but I didn't mind at all. It's a drama hiding inside of a horror framework.

ALSO!!!!!!

I just finished The Night Walker and would highly recommend it. The first 5 minutes are excellent. The ending actually managed to surprise me in multiple ways.

I forgot the opening line.
ALSO!!!!!!

I just finished The Night Walker and would highly recommend it. The first 5 minutes are excellent. The ending actually managed to surprise me in multiple ways.
Watchlisted! You know, it'd be funny if after all my efforts my watchlist still ended up being longer than when I started going through it this year.

Watchlisted! You know, it'd be funny if after all my efforts my watchlist still ended up being longer than when I started going through it this year.
I'd say that currently, for every film I watch from my watchlist, I add at least 3-4 more. Though apparently The Night Walker was on my IMDb watchlist, so PROGRESS!

ALSO!!!!!!

I've got a William Castle deep dive coming up. Looking forward to it

Victim of The Night

RELIC - (2020)

I've rarely seen a film completely abandon itself to it's metaphorical and analogous intentions in the way Relic does during it's final act - the only other that immediately comes to mind is 2001 : A Space Odyssey, although I'm sure that's more because of how unforgettable that one is. Anyway, yeah - this movie - liking it depends on how willing you are to abandon any sense you have of this happening in the real world. The best way I can describe it is thus - you know how dementia and diseases like Alzheimer's can only be perceived directly by the sufferer? Well, imagine a world in which these mental afflictions had supernatural effects on the home you share with the afflicted, with the attendant confusion, decay, change and fear. The elderly Edna (Robyn Nevin) has her daughter Kay (Emily Mortimer) and granddaughter Sam (Bella Heathcote) visit her, whereupon the two latter discover that Edna is starting to lose her grip - and that this decline is working in tandem with a kind of rotting, haunting effect in the house itself. Call them what you will - these gremlins that rob you of your capacity for coherent thought are stealing into the house and eating away at Edna's personality, peace of mind and even physical body. Relic's final moments provide a sad but somehow very satisfying conclusion to a movie that isn't at all concerned with providing a normal narrative close to proceedings, and instead does something pleasingly different.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 3/10
Discomfort : 6/10
Art : 8/10
Weird : 7/10
Fun : 6/10
Interesting : 7/10
Enjoyable : 8/10
Exciting : 6/10

Overall : 7/10
Yeah, my group appreciated the acting and stuff (heh) that went into the movie but I think we all just felt
WARNING: "All the spoilers" spoilers below
the veer from Horror to pure drama was too harsh and unfair on the audience. We watched it as an October movie and it just isn't. Not remotely. So we were just left sitting there double-bummed out, once because the movie is a ****ing bummer and once because we spent an October night on a drama about Alzheimer's (which happens to be a particularly close subject to me).
So... bummer.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I've got a William Castle deep dive coming up. Looking forward to it

Make sure you strap a Percepto under your seat.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

ALSO!!!!!!

On a scale of 1-10, how accurately does the poster portray the events of the film?

Evil Dead Rise -

The Evil Dead franchise is very much alive - sorry, couldn't resist - in this long-time coming follow-up to the 2013 remake. Trading a cabin for a different yet just as dilapidated dwelling, a soon to be demolished high-rise, a minor earthquake makes the end even more inevitable and reveals the vault of the bank that used to stand on the property. Exploring it are the children of Ellie, who's reconciling with sister Beth, a guitar tech who just learned she'll be a mom soon as well. The kids' curiosity pays off when they find a certain flesh-bound book, but if you've seen at least one of these movies, you'll know that it really doesn't pay off once they read it.

On a high level, the movie's story is not that different from its predecessor's, but it's still an improvement in nearly every way. Besides being more mature all around, the acting is better, the characters are more memorable, and the motherhood drama is pleasantly substantive. I also like that it capitalizes on one of the franchise's qualities it does not seem to get enough credit for: claustrophobia. As much as I miss the cabin, the close-quartered, inescapable tenement makes the scarier parts all the scarier. Also, from the "flying camera" shot to the appearance of certain weapons, it never forgets what franchise it belongs to, and on top of that, there's a loving homage to yet another horror classic (here's a hint: lots of fake blood is involved). I would have liked more of the franchise's humor, however, and for a high-rise, there is a noticeable lack of residents. It remains a must-see movie from 2023 if you're a horror fan. Hopefully, if the cold open is of any indication, we won't have to wait another ten years for another sequel.

Thought some of you would be entertained by this story.

So at a recent holiday get-together I found myself in the dreaded scenario known as "Discussing Horror Films With Randos". I bonded with a young man who seemed to have some taste, so that was cool, but then his 50-something dad showed up and ruined everything. Everything we mentioned was "stupid" and he even blessed us with that old chestnut of quality film criticism, "That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back." Blair Witch Project and The Witch were two of the targets of his scorn, among others. Imagine the strained smile I attempted as I pretended to not hate every fiber of his being. (And to be clear, I wasn't annoyed that he didn't like the films, but rather his Neanderthal dismissal of anything that isn't Top Gun.)

But his pièce de résistance was when the Youngster brought up Skinamarink. Youngster and I are both fans (the Youngster even more than I). But Dad's opinion was, of course, that it was a fraud and he can't believe people pretend to like it, etc. Then he hit us with my favorite quote of the evening, "It's just like that ballerina movie you like". After some confused glances, Youngster figures out that he's referring to Argento's Suspiria. In this guy's world, Skinamarink is "just like" Suspiria.

In summary, I will now resume my practice of never engaging anyone ever. I don't know what I was thinking.

In summary, I will now resume my practice of never engaging anyone ever. I don't know what I was thinking.

I welcome you back to The Society with open arms.

Edit: There is no such thing as The Society. Do not worry about The Society. I never mentioned any such thing.

But his pièce de résistance was when the Youngster brought up Skinamarink. Youngster and I are both fans (the Youngster even more than I). But Dad's opinion was, of course, that it was a fraud and he can't believe people pretend to like it, etc. Then he hit us with my favorite quote of the evening, "It's just like that ballerina movie you like". After some confused glances, Youngster figures out that he's referring to Argento's Suspiria. In this guy's world, Skinamarink is "just like" Suspiria.
Oh, I don't know. I think the inspiring thing here is that Youngster turned out with decent taste despite proximity to someone who would call Suspiria "that ballerina movie".

Life finds a way!

Lol “that ballerina movie.” I try to remind people that everyone likes different things and not all tastes are the same. But my dad can get like that too. If I mention an R-rated movie he’s like “That’s too violent.” But if I say I watched Ninja Turtles he’s like, “Isn’t that for kids?”

Thought some of you would be entertained by this story.

So at a recent holiday get-together I found myself in the dreaded scenario known as "Discussing Horror Films With Randos". I bonded with a young man who seemed to have some taste, so that was cool, but then his 50-something dad showed up and ruined everything. Everything we mentioned was "stupid" and he even blessed us with that old chestnut of quality film criticism, "That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back." Blair Witch Project and The Witch were two of the targets of his scorn, among others. Imagine the strained smile I attempted as I pretended to not hate every fiber of his being. (And to be clear, I wasn't annoyed that he didn't like the films, but rather his Neanderthal dismissal of anything that isn't Top Gun.)

Top Gun? I've not seen it, but refresh my memory, that's the beach volleyball movie targeted at teen girls, right?

ETA: I am wondering, but comparative ages, you're probably closer in age to the father, I'm guessing, right?