Sci-Fi Recommendations

Tools    

I agree with that.

Last I heard Nope wanted to run it and he said Sci Fi. I don't remember anything about fantasy. Hopefully no fantasy otherwise let's just declare Star Wars, LOTR the top 10 winners.

That was why I named my thread "Futuristic-Fantasy" and discounted LOTR and stuff like Willow and Harry Potter.
I doubt anyone will vote for Potter or LOTR though with it being a sci-fi countdown.
But yeah, we gotta be sure the movies included are sci-fi rather than just a plethora of Star Wars movies.

Trek would definitely count.

Another thing, would superhero movies count?
Superman, Avengers, Guardians Of The Galaxy and the ilk?
I mean, they are set in the real world but with huge hits of sci-fi in them.

I agree with that.

Last I heard Nope wanted to run it and he said Sci Fi. I don't remember anything about fantasy. Hopefully no fantasy otherwise let's just declare Star Wars, LOTR the top 10 winners.
Obviously Nope is running it this is just for recs, we did a seperate thread for recs for Docs, 50s, 60s, etc as well. I only mentioned Fantasy because i saw someone mention it the other day as i said in the first post i'm not sure what has been decided.

...Another thing, would superhero movies count?
Superman, Avengers, Guardians Of The Galaxy and the ilk?
I mean, they are set in the real world but with huge hits of sci-fi in them.
Hopefully no! Besides there is already a Comic Book Movies Top 100 countdown.

It straddles the line a little bit, because it is primarily a drama/romance. But it definitely contains sci-fi elements to it, so it's certainly worthy to be called one, even though those aspects aren't featured all of the time!
Thanks. Really liked Chungking Express so i'm hoping this counts and i like it as much then.

Up and Gladiator count too
Ha. Ha.

Eternal Sunshine, Batteries Not Included, Meet the Robinsons, Wall E and Paprika are all not listed as Science Fiction on IMDb. The first two are listed as Fantasy. The third one (which is a time travel film) is listed as Adventure and Comedy. Wall E is listed as Adventure and Family. Paprika is listed as Adventure and Crime, even though The Cell - which has a similar premise - is listed as Science Fiction.

I think we're gonna have to use IMDb and Wiki, plus other sites, to sort this one out on what movies are defined as "Science Fiction".

I mean, technically, something like Star Wars 1-7 would count in the minds of a lot of people.

Ha. Ha.

Eternal Sunshine, Batteries Not Included, Meet the Robinsons, Wall E and Paprika are all not listed as Science Fiction on IMDb. The first two are listed as Fantasy. The third one (which is a time travel film) is listed as Adventure and Comedy. Wall E is listed as Adventure and Family. Paprika is listed as Adventure and Crime, even though The Cell - which has a similar premise - is listed as Science Fiction.
WALL-E and Paprika were two i took off that top 100 SCI-Fi list which i would vote for. I didn't even consider WALL-E not counting

Was just looking through that thread and here was Nopes answer:

I just sort of caught up to this. The reason that I did not include Horror in the poll is because there was already a Horror countdown, but I now understand that it was a different countdown, so sometime in the future I will probably make a poll of SciFi vs Horror. Also, regarding what is a Sci-Fi Movie, I would say that any movie that is tagged by IMDb as Sci-Fi should be allowed. There can also be some exceptions for example: Ghostbusters is not tagged as Sci-Fi by IMDb, but I think it should be considered for the countdown. If we were to do a Scif-Fi countdown, I would let people bring up a movie that is not tagged by IMDb, and then we can all decide if it should be allowed.

Sounds like Nope has a plan! I like this part:
If we were to do a Scif-Fi countdown, I would let people bring up a movie that is not tagged by IMDb, and then we can all decide if it should be allowed.
Sounds sensible and democratic to me.