Movie Rut/Fatigue?

Tools    

Hello,

I have been wondering if any of you have ever been in a movie fatigue or rut where you either feel bored of everything that you watch or you just can not think of what you want to watch.

I have been feeling it lately where I have watched so many movies that I am starting to compare them to other movies due to details in the movie, but at the same time am fascinated by them.
For example, I always feel fascinated when I am watching a French New Wave movie but then when I look back on them, I think they are boring. Examples included A Woman is A Woman, Hiroshima mon Amour, and Jules and Jim. The first two are actually some of my "favorite episodes" of the movement. Then I feel as though I have watched everything that mattered from the movement even though I watched about 2-3 movies from each director. I feel like I need to watch more Agnes Varda movies, because I think Cleo was the magnum opus of the FNW and therefore feel bad that I did not give her enough service. I even feel bad that I never watch CF5-7 again at it is only 90 minutes.

What would you do if you were stuck in a fatigue?

Join a Hall of Fame. Watch the movies. Submit a ballot. Wait for the results.

I'm in one right now. I find it sort of comes and goes, especially when I'm setting goals for myself or being too clinical about it.

What I usually do is just step away from movies for a bit, or let myself watch a few "guilty pleasure" type things. I just finished a miniseries on Netflix, I'm watching a docu-series on Hulu, been watching more sports, etc.

Watching movies isn't some sign of moral or intellectual superiority. If you aren't feeling it, no need to force anything. Maybe rewatch an old favorite (or part of an old favorite). Movies like Kung Fu Hustle, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or And Then There Were None usually get me back in the groove.

I check what's opening now. Jules and Jim....French New Wave, Hiroshima Mon Amour, etc, all that's been around for a long time. Generally I make a point of seeing at least one new movie in a theater each weekend. It's good to get out, do "dinner and a movie", go somewhere. Even when the movie sucks, you get out of the rut and out of the house. I think tomorrow will be Saltburn. Last time it was Napoleon, etc.

Why not go out to the movies? Seeing a movie in a theater will focus your mind and the movie's that are considered Oscar bait are being released now at least in the US.

Not yet. Since I still live with my parents, I'm trying to savor the amount of free time I get to watch as many movies as I do since I'll likely have less free time once I move out.

Victim of The Night
I'm also in that now.
Haven't watched a movie in weeks.
I thought after watching 27 movies in 20 days for October I was on a roll and was looking forward to knocking out a big chunk of my queue in November and I think I watched one movie all month.
I assume the bug will come back around. But right now I just can't get up for a movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Try movies you wouldn't normally watch. Or a movie you've had in mind - either too art-house, or too long. Or something out of your comfort zone. I'm going through it now (for many reasons), but TCM always shows something good and not too popular. YouTube as well. I found a great channel and figure I'd check out the movies I didn't see. I look on the "Last Movie" thread and have found some good movies, and then you realize who's taste you are more closely aligned.

Maybe type in your favorite movies, then see if they made it on others' Top 10. Then find movies on their Top 10 you don't know and look them up.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This happens from time to time. Usually, after I've seen 20+ movies in 3 days.

I usually end up browsing all films available to watch, which can take up to 2 hours, and then conclude I don't feel like watching any of them. Only to eventually watch one of them.

I haven't had a longer fatigue yet, meaning not watching films for a week or more. I always get back on it the next day.

Funnily enough, I'm in the opposite situation. So many exciting new films ready to watch, I have no idea which one to start with.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yeah this happens to me, and has generally happened to me over the last few years. I think it's sort of "supposed" to happen if you see enough movies, and is probably worse/happens sooner if you dissect movies, review them with any seriousness, et cetera. From that point it just becomes way too easy to see patterns, predict things, et cetera.

Just statistically, it makes sense that the more you absorb of anything, particularly any art form, the harder it will be for examples of it to really impress you. As I like to point out, if you see one film, it is definitionally your favorite film. It gets harder and harder for that to be true with each film you add to the list.

I don't want to overstate things, I still love movies, watch movies, and watch movies I end up loving every year, without fail. But my relationship to them has changed and my standards are certainly higher, in some ways. There is sort of a junkie's tolerance searching for that high of another transcendental cinematic experience thing, but when it does happen it's as special as ever.

Noir...Ya all should be watching a squad car full of noirs
Those are cool now and again, as long as they are black and white, but they're in that special genre world along with Big-Bug horror movies and westerns.