The Stan Lee appreciation thread

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Stan Lee by some of the characters he co-created

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past twenty years, you probably know who Stan Lee is. He has co-created the likes of The Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-man, The Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Dr. Strange with the late Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko (who is alive, but has an ongoing feud with Stan.) He is also the former president and chairmen of Marvel comics. He has been credited with helping write over sixty TV shows and movies.

He was born on Dec. Twenty-eight, Nineteen twenty-two to Celia and Jack Lieber. His family was poor because the dad could barely find work as a dress cutter after the Great Depression. He didn't have much toys and played make believe a lot. When he was close to nine years old his only brother Larry Lieber was born. In Stan's teens his family bought a one bedroom apartment. Lee described it as "a third-floor apartment facing out back."

Young Stan Lee on a bike

At the age of 15 Stan decided to enter "The Biggest News of the Week Contest" held by the Harold Tribune. At the end of the contest Stan received a letter from the editor saying he should become a professional writer. He was now more inspired then ever. Stan still encourages young writers everywhere. After this Stan picked up many writing jobs such as, writing obituaries for a news service and press releases for the NTC (National Tuberculosis Center.)

Harold of the Harold Tribune

Stan's uncle, Robbie Soloman, a pulp magizine editor, and comic book publisher, scored him a job as an assistant at Tmely Comics, lated named Marvel. There he met Jack Kirby and Joe Simon. It turned out that the two were given too much work and could barely make the deadline, that's where Stan got his first break. He got to write a two page piece called "The Traitor's Revenge" appearing in Captain America #3. Instead of using the name Stan Lieber, he used the named Stan Lee, later becoming his legal name.

I grew up a Marvel zombie, reading the comics and watching the shows. It's actually how I got started in drawing. Jack Kirby was a great artist, he had a very distinctive style, and Stan Lee modeled very humanistic characters.

...uh the post is up there...

Movie Forums Member
Definetly use to collect Marvel comics. Got two boxes in the attic.

A system of cells interlinked
Same here. I have many boxes of comics in storage. I only read trades these days, as I have grown to dislike the marketing filled 22-pager...

Good stuff John

Is his date of birth right?
He was born on Dec. Twenty-eight, Nineteen ninty-two

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Is his date of birth right?
wait, hold up no, let me fix that, okay, source first sentance (I'm working on second post right now.)