Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Au Hasard Balthazar and Close-Up are two films I like a lot, but need to rewatch. I haven't seen Tokyo Drifter and Sword of Doom, but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Django -
Granted, I'm no expert on the genre since I haven't even seen that other Yojimbo riff, A Fistful of Dollars ...

Django -
Barring Torn Curtain, which I didn’t like, what a great year for movies, huh?
You're like the fourth or fifth person here that has voted thumbs down on TC. I'll still give it a shot strictly out of curiosity but I'll be sure to have my thumb on the FF button.

You're like the fourth or fifth person here that has voted thumbs down on TC. I'll still give it a shot strictly out of curiosity but I'll be sure to have my thumb on the FF button.
I hate to reduce your expectations even further, but it's the weakest Hitchcock movie I've seen. Granted, I haven't seen Topaz or Family Plot yet. I recommend following it with a Saboteur or Foreign Correspondent chaser.

I've watched Topaz 2 or 3 times now and I just find it a chore to sit through. There's one great shot, and I could honestly just watch a 3-second gif of that moment from now on, instead of sitting through the entire film.

I hate to reduce your expectations even further, but it's the weakest Hitchcock movie I've seen. Granted, I haven't seen Topaz or Family Plot yet. I recommend following it with a Saboteur or Foreign Correspondent chaser.
I really liked Family Plot. Either because of or despite it having a lot of humor. I think you'll like it too. It's certainly not boring. I've also seen and enjoyed Saboteur. Foreign Correspondent is on my Hitchcock need-to-watch list as is Topaz.

I've watched Topaz 2 or 3 times now and I just find it a chore to sit through.
D'oh!

Fantastic movie. Seen it a million times.

Re-watch. Made Dominic Cooper a star.

The Shop on Main Street

Dark & comedic. One of the many tragic events of WWII.

Not bad. Two leads very good. Did not buy Pitt as a wingman in the Royal Airforce (by way of Canada). Some silly scenes: RAF officer doing a line of cocaine at a party during WWII would never have happened.

Lordy, what made me finish this movie. Would like my 90 minutes returned.

I really liked Family Plot. Either because of or despite it having a lot of humor. I think you'll like it too. It's certainly not boring. I've also seen and enjoyed Saboteur. Foreign Correspondent is on my Hitchcock need-to-watch list as is Topaz.
I've never understood the issues with Family Plot. It's not top tier Hitchcock, but it's still a lot of fun.

Anyway, being the completist that I am, I'm sure I'll get to Topaz and Torn Curtain at some point. They're two of the 15 Hitchcock films I've yet to see.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've never understood the issues with Family Plot. It's not top tier Hitchcock, but it's still a lot of fun.

Anyway, being the completist that I am, I'm sure I'll get to Topaz and Torn Curtain at some point. They're two of the 15 Hitchcock films I've yet to see.
Only 15 left? Nice work.

The only Hitchcock film I dislike is Marnie due to all its sexism. I get that Hitchcock was attempting to create another psychological thriller with complex characters. And to some extent, he achieves this as Marnie's character is well-written. With Mark though, it backfires so much. I think I see what Hitchcock was going for (i.e., protagonist who wants to help his love interest in spite of having bad morals). Mark just didn't have the same development Marnie did and it felt like he was being praised as a hero in the end in spite of him being a control freak, abuser, and a rapist. And this is a real shame because it does seem like there's a great film in there somewhere. Its script needed a ton of editing though.

I would say that Marnie is his most problematic film, but without condoning the actions of the characters, I still find it interesting and well made.

The ones I find more tedious are some of his silent films, especially The Farmer's Wife and Champagne.

When people say they don't like XYZ Hitchcock I assume they are only starting with his talkies because his silents are terrible.
To be honest, those two I mentioned are the only ones I find a chore to get through. The Lodger is pretty darn good, I have a soft spot for Easy Virtue, and I really enjoyed The Manxman, even if it was a bit too long. The others are more spotty, but I wouldn't call them "terrible".

For what it's worth, here's something I wrote back when I first saw most of his silent films. Since then, I've seen Downhill and The Pleasure Garden, and I've also bumped The Lodger a notch or two in my ranking.

Young and Innocent my least favorite Hitch but I got 32 left.
I thought Young and Innocent was breezy and fun. I think it works better when you see it within the context of the films he was making in the late 30s, which were all very similar and formulaic (in a sorta good way) spy thrillers. I find that stretch of 4 or 5 films to be very enjoyable.

That poster invites all kinds of questions. I only saw the upper half of it at first so before I read who the stars were I thought it was a guy in drag. And then the exact nature of "the weapon" Ali MacGraw was about to use because I've seen those kinds of vids before. And last, props to that adductor muscle on MacGraw.