Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Phone Call from a Stranger (1952)

Talk about an eclectic cast! It includes Michael Rennie (of The Day the Earth Stood Still fame, and a nice --but small-- part from Bette Davis, who presumably agreed to the part because of her husband's participation (Gary Merrill).

It's a story-packed film that soon goes in a direction that the viewer doesn't foresee. Merrill's character is a tad too saintly, but yet has reason to be, under the circumstances.

Keenan Wynn plays an obnoxious oaf, who turns out to have a heart of gold. Shelly Winters shows a range that stretched her accustomed stereotypical parts.

It's a little schmaltzy, and we wouldn't miss about 15 minutes of the story, but an enjoyable film nevertheless.

~Doc

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Duck Soup (1933)

My 4th Marx Bros movie and the one I was most looking forward to, it turned out to be my least favorite. It's only about an hour long, and is fast paced and amusing with a handful of big laughs, but that's as far as I can go. The mirror gag, which seemed like it was supposed to be a highlight, did not work for me at all.
Always thought this was way overrated. Prefer Horse Feathers.

I remember I really liked this film when it first came out in the late 90s, so was looking forwards to watching the director's cut this time around, apparently Del Toro was not happy with the original cut released. The six or so extra minutes didn't add anything of interest or memorable from what I can remember of the original cut...

This time around I was actually quite bored during most of this film.

Watching his 2017 special Tamborine last week motivated me to return to Chris in his prime and it did not disappoint...it was 1999, but this one still holds up and had me on the floor...again.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I do think the storyline and especially the front cover might keep a male audience from picking it up. I wouldn't have been anywhere close to watching it had you not recommended it. Also, I needed something to watch with the other half so another reason I chose this. After watching it, I think I enjoyed it more than she did!

Good to hear this is being well-received. They ran this trailer at the indie-cine for months. Look forward to cramming this in this weekend.

@Gideon58

Do you have a top 5 or a couple of favorite standup specials?

Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010)

Uncovering history is a spiritual journey. Nothing says that better than looking at the oldest-known cave paintings while listening to Werner Herzog narrating about what is "human-ness" and how mutant albino crocodiles relate to humans looking into the past.

"Crocodiles have been introduced into this brooding jungle and warmed by the water to cool the reactor, man do they thrive. There are already hundreds of them. Not surprisingly, mutant albinos swim and breed in these waters. A thought is born of this surreal environment. Not long ago, just a few thousand years back, there were glaciers here 9,000 feet thick. And now a new climate is steaming and spreading. Fairly soon, these albinos might reach Chauvet caves. Looking at the paintings, what will they make of them? Nothing is real. Nothing is certain. It is hard to determine whether these creatures are dividing into their own doppelgangers and do they really meet or is it just their own imagining mirror reflection? Are we today the crocodiles who look back into the abyss of time when we see the paintings of Chauvet cave?"

Second time watching. First time I was disapointing there wasnt more brutal kills. This time I was able to apreciate it as one of the finest character studies put to film.

9/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
First time I was disapointing there wasnt more brutal kills.
That's the point!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Lady Bird

(Greta Gerwig)

Late to the party with this one...

The most moving scene to me involved Lucas Hedges crying uncontrollably into the arms of Saoirse Ronan due to the fear of his parents finding out his secret. It visualized the deep fear that so many kids have and speaks volumes about what a simple shot can bring to a scene. While it starts off a little confrontational, it ends it unwavering support and understanding. A small scene that doesn't push the narrative forward for Lady Bird, but adds more realism and depth to these characters. While the film is obviously more about Lady Bird navigating her adolescent life and dealing with an overbearing mother, this scene stood out to me as my favourite.

A film that showcases strong performances that doesn't necessarily feel like acting. My wife turned to me and said that "their relationship is so weird" referring to the mother-daughter fight/love struggle. Particularly the scene when they are arguing while dress shopping and both stop to admire the beauty of one dress in particular. I won't lie, my wife shed a few tears during the film, when I asked why she simply said it's a mother-daughter thing.

Well-written and directed by a voice that understands the material. You get the sense that she is pulling things from her own life experiences. Which is what people should do, you write what you know about. This is why the film felt realistic to me, the characters felt alive and the story genuine. While I've liked Ronan's previous performances, this one here makes me look forward to her future ones.

Glad I saw this before the Top 100 Movies Directed By Women thread began. But to be honest, I probably have a few more years to watch some more movies before we begin that.

Suspect's Reviews

@Gideon58

Wow, that's a really great question...of course, I love Eddie Murphy: Delirious and I loved everything George Carlin ever did. The man was a genius. I also loved Jamie Foxx:
I Might Need Security
, Bill Cosby Himself, and Richard Pryor: Live on Sunset Strip. Jim Norton: Monster Rain was also really funny.

movies can be okay...
Melancholia (2011) -

Oh, you know, just about the usual Von Trier, sad flicks about sad chicks.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

@Gideon58

Wow, that's a really great question...of course, I love Eddie Murphy: Delirious and I loved everything George Carlin ever did. The man was a genius. I also loved Jamie Foxx:
I Might Need Security
, Bill Cosby Himself, and Richard Pryor: Live on Sunset Strip. Jim Norton: Monster Rain was also really funny.
Loves it! Delirious and Bill Cosby: Himself are in my top five. Never found Raw to be that funny, in light of loving 80's Murphy.