Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee

I liked this.. There was another rich guy who was allowed to murder who was eventually busted for drugs I think. I wish Netflix would recommend things you liked.

I couldn't agree more and I have a story I tell people about come and see.. it's the only film that ever gave me a nightmare and I woke up literally shouting my head off.. I honestly felt depressed for about a week.
Well, I have liked that but obviously not in a "reveling in your discomfort" way FromBeyond. More that the film is *so* powerful that it manifested itself like that in your psyche.

The scene (unexpected) when Florya returns to his home village will stay with me forever,

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Gray State

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
I've met a few people who are easily impressionable and delusional.. I think this guy got a chance, and discovered he might not be able to deliver the goods (his movie).. He volunteered for war, that's one.. He marries a Muslim woman who seems to throw it behind (notice there is none of her family interviewed or mentioned except one line), maybe his way of apologizing? I think he became more and more susceptible with every step.. He reminds me of many libertarians who seem to be overly paranoid, and who seem to emphasize most of their time on things that are irrelevant or have already passed.. Guns, religion, etc... And that "Allah Akbar" was probably a dig at his wife, and probably his desire for people to make a big issue out of it, a documentary perhaps. I also think making a movie, and then having access to Alex Jones, his audience, while also seeming to take advantage, might have also seemed to throw him closer to the edge, as well as any negative attention from strangers on social media... Add that with someone who talks libertarian, even though the family has to depend on the wife's paycheck. Another criticism would be the "Why?" question, and it didn't seem like anyone wanted to answer it.. David's father always seemed to lighten the situation, and insert his daughter-in-laws name any time David did something wrong, which seems normal for parents.

What a story! I'm curious what you all think about it...

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee

I liked this.. There was another rich guy who was allowed to murder who was eventually busted for drugs I think. I wish Netflix would recommend things you liked.

I have given up on the main page stuff. I just go to search, type a random letter and start scrolling. There is so much stuff that is buried.

Nothing much to say. Just 4/10.

Thoroughbreds

If you saw Sleuth(1972) or Deathtrap(1982) you know what you are getting here. This is sort of a cat and mouse game of two girls with borderline personality disorders in wealthy Connecticut. Anne Taylor-Joy is sort of becoming a bit of a horror icon between this, Morgan, The Witch, and Split she's portrayed 4 very different yet well defined characters.

I, Daniel Blake

When I could understand what he was fookin sayin' I liked it. I don't know if this was a classic that I heard it was going to be but for what it was it was great.

Hurricane Heist

Okay really it's 2.5 stars but I needed a pick me up after I, Daniel Blake. Hurricane Heist is in essence a Fast and Furious B plot treated like a real movie. It would not shock me if it was written as a 12 year olds fantasy of what an action film is supposed to be.
Siddon, thanks for you thoughts on Thoroughbreds and The Hurricane Heist. I've wondered about both movies. I know I'm going to see Thoroughbreds because I'm a huge Anya Taylor-Joy fan and I'll see The Hurricane Heist (eventually) because I love Maggie Grace. A woman being beautiful is perhaps a shallow reason for seeing a movie but then I'm weak when it comes to beautiful women. Thanks also for the pics of the two fine ladies!

Mugamoodi = Wing Chun + Superhero Movie = Pretty good, but the romantic angle was crap and the biggest flaw of the film. Lead actors Jiiva and Pooja Hegde have virtually zero chemistry and it seemed more forced. However, the savior comes in the action by Hong Kong's Tony Leung Siu-Hung, who utilized Wing Chun in the martial arts choroegraphy.

Final Rating: 2.5 out of 5

I think that I have seen that one. Is there a dance scene where some Indian midgets are sitting on a bar or table singing along? That was some campy greatness.

Tonight I saw Hereditary (2018) in the theater.

My friend and I were in the car on the way home debating how good this movie was. We both agreed that it was better than The Shining, but we couldn't agree if it was better than The Exorcist. You know how the hairs on the back of your next stand up when you are creepily frightened? Well, the hairs on the back of my neck, arms and legs were all standing up during certain parts of this movie. It is brutal, it is tense, it is stark and it is unforgiving.

Most stories follow the three Acts of a play:
Act I: Put your hero in a tree.
Act II: Set the tree on fire.
Act III: Get the hero out of the tree.

This movie plays out like this:
Act II Set the tree on fire.
Act III: Set the rest of reality on fire and watch it all burn.

Note: If Toni Collette does not receive at least an Oscar nod (and very possibly the Oscar) for her role here, then she will have been robbed at gunpoint.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. 4.5/5 stars.

Unregistered User
A Gray State

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
I've met a few people who are easily impressionable and delusional.. I think this guy got a chance, and discovered he might not be able to deliver the goods (his movie).. He volunteered for war, that's one.. He marries a Muslim woman who seems to throw it behind (notice there is none of her family interviewed or mentioned except one line), maybe his way of apologizing? I think he became more and more susceptible with every step.. He reminds me of many libertarians who seem to be overly paranoid, and who seem to emphasize most of their time on things that are irrelevant or have already passed.. Guns, religion, etc... And that "Allah Akbar" was probably a dig at his wife, and probably his desire for people to make a big issue out of it, a documentary perhaps. I also think making a movie, and then having access to Alex Jones, his audience, while also seeming to take advantage, might have also seemed to throw him closer to the edge, as well as any negative attention from strangers on social media... Add that with someone who talks libertarian, even though the family has to depend on the wife's paycheck. Another criticism would be the "Why?" question, and it didn't seem like anyone wanted to answer it.. David's father always seemed to lighten the situation, and insert his daughter-in-laws name any time David did something wrong, which seems normal for parents.

What a story! I'm curious what you all think about it...

WARNING: "A Gray State" spoilers below
I don't have any time to go into it much. I thought it was an interesting story but I really didn't like the doc. It really didn't delve deep enough and just ended up feeling quite pointless, aside from the tragic incident. I found it really odd about his father and couldn't understand why he seemed so happy to talk about it?! I had never heard of this case so had no idea what was going to happen. Probably one of the most depressing endings I've experienced because of the kid.

Unregistered User

The Life of Oharu (1952)

Had no idea this was going to be so depressing. Brilliant but so heart-breaking for Oharu, who was played breathtakingly by Tanaka. It is a long film and although its a rather cruel tale, it packs an emotional punch that still feels rewarding.

Tonight I saw Hereditary (2018) in the theater.

My friend and I were in the car on the way home debating how good this movie was. We both agreed that it was better than The Shining, but we couldn't agree if it was better than The Exorcist. You know how the hairs on the back of your next stand up when you are creepily frightened? Well, the hairs on the back of my neck, arms and legs were all standing up during certain parts of this movie. It is brutal, it is tense, it is stark and it is unforgiving.

Most stories follow the three Acts of a play:
Act II: Set the tree on fire.
Act III: Get the hero out of the tree.

This movie plays out like this:
Act II Set the tree on fire.
Act III: Set the rest of reality on fire and watch it all burn.

Note: If Toni Collette does not receive at least an Oscar nod (and very possibly the Oscar) for her role here, then she will have been robbed at gunpoint.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. 4.5/5 stars.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=54406

I created a thread because this is a film where I think we need to talk about it.

Note: If Toni Collette does not receive at least an Oscar nod (and very possibly the Oscar) for her role here, then she will have been robbed at gunpoint
She'll do well to get a nod for a horror film released in the summer. Anyone would.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I don't get the hype of Magic Mike. Not enough interest to keep me awake.

This might just do nobody any good.
Because it’s about, like, the economy and stuff. Like that other movie Soderbergh made with Sasha Grey*. I don’t know. I haven’t seen it but that’s all I hear about.

Other than stripper Tatum (which is the real draw, duh.)

*the show version of The Girlfriend Experience is actually pretty good tho.