Disney buys LucasFilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015

Tools    

Also, seriously Disney... first order of business is to release the REMASTERED ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASE TRILOGY on DVD and Blu-Ray. Give it to us. Please.
It won't happen. I almost feel like saying I can guarantee that it won't happen -- but I can't, because I could be wrong. But I do feel like saying I can almost guarantee it won't happen in case I happen to be right. In any case, I guarantee it won't happen.

Why? Because the new versions are already in wide release and I do believe that Lucas thinks he is perfecting his movies by all the changes he makes.

I think the original versions are gonna be highly sought collector's items from the past, along with versions people will make themselves by transferring VHS tapes to DVD (if this isn't already being done and it wouldn't surprise me if it is.)

Maybe YEARS -- DECADES -- from now -- they will officially re-release them, but soon? I doubt it.

I could be wrong, but I can almost guarantee that I'm right.

Ok, just a little info on the news... I've heard a rumour that it may also lead to the TV series.
It was all written by Lucas ages ago, he just never put it into production...

So... Episodes 7, 8 and 9 and the development hell that is the TV series... all under Disney's watchful eye...

... I'd be interested to see it...

hopefully we will get a good/great writer and Director to finally make the more ADULT Star Wars movies that fans have been hoping for since Return of The Jedi.

Learn the lessons of the Prequels! Try to tone down the CGI and silly slapstick Jar Jar humour.
That's an oxymoron. Put the original series aside for a second, we're all aware of their cultural impact and their potency as cross-generational entertainment. The sequels are clearly kids movies with the (intentional or not) half-hearted, ultimately very boring trade... route... tax... thingy and dark ending to Sith thrown in to try to keep the adults entertained. I can't see the tone or target audience of the movies changing now Disney has got a hold of it.

The disgusted response to Jar Jar and everything else seems to me to just be a product of fans of the original trilogy pinning their adult expectations on something that was never going to meet them. They were there to get new, younger fans who would buy the DVDs and the merchandise and ultimately make a s**tload more money for George Lucas. I distinctly remember loving all that Jar Jar and CGI crap when I saw them as a kid (I was 6/7 in 1999).

Saying the Star Wars prequels were too childish is like saying you're disappointed Transformers wasn't more thought-provoking.

I find the Star Wars movies very fascinating and yet also very boring. Even the originals. There are things about them that I love, but if Star Wars didn't exist, I think I'd be fine. I'm more fascinated by Star Wars: The Phenomenon than the Star Wars movies. When I read a Carrie Fisher autobiography -- when I get knee deep into some good bipolar/electro-shock therapy stories -- I appreciate Princess Leia and Star Wars more. Without those things, and without Drop Dead Fred, I wouldn't give a ***** about Carrie Fisher.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That's an oxymoron. Put the original series aside for a second, we're all aware of their cultural impact and their potency as cross-generational entertainment. The sequels are clearly kids movies with the (intentional or not) half-hearted, ultimately very boring trade... route... tax... thingy and dark ending to Sith thrown in to try to keep the adults entertained. I can't see the tone or target audience of the movies changing now Disney has got a hold of it.

The disgusted response to Jar Jar and everything else seems to me to just be a product of fans of the original trilogy pinning their adult expectations on something that was never going to meet them. They were there to get new, younger fans who would buy the DVDs and the merchandise and ultimately make a s**tload more money for George Lucas. I distinctly remember loving all that Jar Jar and CGI crap when I saw them as a kid (I was 6/7 in 1999).

Saying the Star Wars prequels were too childish is like saying you're disappointed Transformers wasn't more thought-provoking.
One would hope that the Disney execs sit down and discuss what went wrong with the Prequels and look to learn from that.

I don't think I could take another bad Star Wars trilogy. It would probably finish me off.

I actually think it would be a good step to return to the original characters, with new actors obv. There are plenty of good stories in the books. The Timothy Zahn trilogy or the Jedi Academy trilogy would be a good step following on quite closely from the end of Return of the Jedi. Plus we don't really know how it's going to end (unless you have read books), whereas a prequel you basically know how everything will slot into place in the end.

This certainly worked for "Star Trek" in 2009. Great movie!

Scary stuff on Halloween.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think Yoda fighting Shrek might be an interesting bit of business in one of the next sequels...
A long time ago, in Far Far Away...

Yoda, Shrek and Hulk in a three way green-dude fight against Lord Vaderquaad and Darth Charming... with Donkey, Jar Jar, a flying R2D2 and Puss In Boots playing comic relief.

And Princess Fiona Organa as the love interest.

I'm sure there's room in there somewhere for Iron Man as C3PO and Captain Solo America too...

The possibilities are endless. Consider:
Beauty and the Bantha
The Absent-Minded Jedi Master
C3PO Wore Tennis Shoes
Leia and the Tramp
The Light Saber in the Stone

C'mon, folks! Add your favorite ideas!

The Aristodarths

Aladdin: The Return Of Jabba

All Darths Go To Heaven

(Space) Pirates Of The Coruscant

Escape from The Dark... Side

Bedknobs And Lightsabres

My personal favourite: Snow White And The Seven Ewoks

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
"Star Wars" Episode 7 coming in 2015

In a development that even Yoda couldn't have foreseen, the Walt Disney Co. has agreed to purchase Lucasfilm, the production studio behind the "Star Wars," movies for $4.05 billion in cash and stock.

The studio immediately announced that it would release a "Star Wars" Episode 7 in 2015, the first of what is expected to be a new trilogy.

George Lucas, the franchise's creator, had long said he originally envisioned having nine "Star Wars" movies - but recently announced his retirement from big budget movie making after only two trilogies. (Including his much maligned prequel trilogy that started with 1999's "The Phantom Menace.")

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” Lucas said in a statement. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

That *transition will be supervised by Kathleen Kennedy, the long time producer of Lucas pal Steven Spielberg, who was recently tapped to head up Lucasfilm before the announcement of the sale. Kennedy got the job with an eye towards shepherding three new "Star Wars" movies, a source close to the negotiations told the Hollywood Reporter.

The blockbuster acquisition of Lucasfilm is just the latest front on Disney's all out conquest of geek culture, having already bought Pixar in 2006 and Marvel Studios - which gave them the No. 3 grossing film of all time with "The Avengers" earlier this year - in 2009.

"This is another jewel in the crown of the Disney empire," says Paul Dergarabedian, box office analyst for Hollywood.com, who added that the studio could have a stranglehold on the multiplex in 2015 with a new "Star Wars" movie and an "Avengers" sequel both scheduled. "It seems like they own all the toys in the toybox."

Earlier this year, Lucas sparked ire among his former disciples after he vowed to never make another "Star Wars" movie — and put the blame squarely on fanboys who complained about his newer movies and his regularly tweaking of the original trilogy.(There was a time when Han Solo shot first and when Sebastian Shaw played the ghost of Annakin Skywalker.)

"On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie," Lucas told The New York Times magazine, "I’m saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'

"Why would I make any when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Realllllyyyy .

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
No. Just. No.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Some more from B3ta

---

And some bonus ones:

I honestly don't believe the originals will be coming out anytime soon. I'm sure FOX owns, Star Wars: A New Hope outright.
Taken from Collider...

Well, it turns out that further Star Wars home video releases are tied up in a tricky bit of legal shambles, as 20th Century Fox still owns Episode IV: A New Hope. Hit the jump for more.
With the release of a new Star Wars in 2015, it’s safe to assume that there’s some money to be made in also releasing some sort of box set of the films around that time. Though Disney is now in control of the Star Wars empire, Fox will still release Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith in 3D next year. Per THR, Fox owns the distribution rights to Star Wars: A New Hope in perpetuity in all media worldwide. They also hold theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights to the other Star Wars films through May 2020, but their ownership of A New Hope is without an end date.
As such, quite a bit of legal wrangling will need to take place before we see another complete box set home video release of Star Wars. A collection of all the films cannot be released until Disney and Fox strike some sort of deal, given that the latter company wholly owns A New Hope. Fox likely feels a bit burned that Lucas didn’t sell his company to the longtime partner studio, but hopefully some sort of deal can be arranged for future home video releases. It’d be a shame to see Star Wars Blu-ray sets without the film that started it all.
With Disney and Kathleen Kennedy holding the keys to the castle, one hopes that they would be interested in eventually releasing the unedited version of the original trilogy. This is a case that fans have been arguing for many, many years now, and I imagine those releases would sell like crazy. But alas, it appears we’ll have to wait for all the complicated legal dealing to conclude before we can start looking forward to this sort of box set.

Ok, am I the only person who bought the original films on DVD? Everyone talks about how they want the original trilogy without all the mucking about, but I have a copy of those. Granted it's not on Bluray, but I do have at least one or two of the original films (I think I couldn't find either Jedi or Empire, but I know have at least 2 of them).

Thing is, is that those DVDs that were labelled as Originals aren't actually the original version of the movie, they're close to being the original version but there's still a couple of scenes in each one that are different from the cinematic release.

One scene that has always stuck in my mind is Aunt Beru talking to Uncle Owen, her voice has been dubbed over at some point since the film was made and the apparent DVD of the cinematic version still has the dubbed voice instead of the original actress' voice.

It was all a swindle basically.