Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gattaca (1997)

Very atmospheric film. Good human side and also dark humour. Check me out loving supposed Sci-fi

I deeply, deeply love Gattaca.

Another film in a similar vein that I really liked was Advantageous, and in a more action-y bent, Predestination

I deeply, deeply love Gattaca.
I知 now intrigued. Tell me, briefly, what it is about & maybe I値l put it in my Netflix Q.

I知 now intrigued. Tell me, briefly, what it is about & maybe I値l put it in my Netflix Q.
The film is set in an alternate future where babies can be genetically engineered for more desirable qualities. Companies not-so-secretly use DNA testing to decide if they will hire people or not, and there's basically a genetic social hierarchy.

Ethan Hawke plays a man who was "naturally born" (ie not genetically engineered) who is deemed inferior because of his genetics. His dream is to be an astronaut, but since they would never let him into the program, he buys the identity of a "superior" man (Jude Law).

The film is part thriller and part drama. There's pretty much constant suspense about whether or not he will be caught.

But there's also a really compelling dynamic between the main character and the man whose identity he is "borrowing". What does it actually mean to be superior? How much can you truly know about someone's worth or their potential?

There's also just some really amazing imagery, like a sequence where the main character watches a field of solar panels reorient themselves at sunrise. I think it's thrilling and powerful from beginning to end--it's got action and drama and romance, and it's all deeply rooted in empathy and a certain degree of optimism. I really dig it.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/735/1*Iaykgx2jcyhvuvAohd9t8Q.jpeg[/IMG]

Breaker Morant 1980 Bruce Beresford

Great military court case, War/Drama.
Top ten Australian movies ever. I've only seen six or seven (that I know of) so far .
Was unfamiliar with Jack Thompson but he unexpectedly stole the show with his performance here.

+

Dead of Night (1945, Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer)

A dream within a dream within a dream, and it's all the same dream?
Interesting script with an anthology-like narrative woven in - the stories themselves are hit and miss but overall I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Get Out (2017)

This movie grows a little bit more on me each time I see it, which is surprising since I thought it was pretty ordinary the first time I saw it. The creepiness factor still remains. Plus I'll pretty much stick to the screen every time I see Daniel Kaluuya at this point.

Get Out (2017)

This movie grows a little bit more on me each time I see it, which is surprising since I thought it was pretty ordinary the first time I saw it. The creepiness factor still remains. Plus I'll pretty much stick to the screen every time I see Daniel Kaluuya at this point.

I have to agree that this film was a lot better the second time I watched it and I have a feeling it will be even better the third time.

Dead of Night (1945, Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer)

A dream within a dream within a dream, and it's all the same dream?
Interesting script with an anthology-like narrative woven in - the stories themselves are hit and miss but overall I thought it was pretty entertaining.
I agree with you on the hit or miss part (that whole golfer segment is . . . really bad). But it's got some great scares and the
WARNING: spoilers below
wrap-around element of being trapped in the dream
feels like such a "modern" twist/element that it took me completely by surprise.

Get Out (2017)

It's a movie that really is rewarding on a rewatch. Both because you are able to notice more details (like background elements in the house), and because certain plot elements suddenly become clear in a different light (like the fact that
the girlfriend stands up to the police so that he won't officially write down her boyfriend's name/license
).

I will never forget when I first saw this movie in the theater and at the end
you think he's about to be killed by the police. The whole audience had been really pumped--especially as he was making his escape and fighting off the family--and we all just got really still. Just like that, you could feel this horrible dread settle over the whole audience. And I thought, "Of course. Of course he's going to get killed." When the friend appears there was this amazing like sigh of relief followed immediately by a cheer. It was one of the strongest surges of emotion that I've felt in a theater.

4th Re-watch...One of the greatest examples of cinematic storytelling ever, that just seems to improve with each re-watch. It's my favorite DiCaprio performance and probably my favorite Spielberg film as well. Spectacular movie.

The film is set in an alternate future where babies can be genetically engineered for more desirable qualities. Companies not-so-secretly use DNA testing to decide if they will hire people or not, and there's basically a genetic social hierarchy.

Ethan Hawke plays a man who was "naturally born" (ie not genetically engineered) who is deemed inferior because of his genetics. His dream is to be an astronaut, but since they would never let him into the program, he buys the identity of a "superior" man (Jude Law).

The film is part thriller and part drama. There's pretty much constant suspense about whether or not he will be caught.

But there's also a really compelling dynamic between the main character and the man whose identity he is "borrowing". What does it actually mean to be superior? How much can you truly know about someone's worth or their potential?

There's also just some really amazing imagery, like a sequence where the main character watches a field of solar panels reorient themselves at sunrise. I think it's thrilling and powerful from beginning to end--it's got action and drama and romance, and it's all deeply rooted in empathy and a certain degree of optimism. I really dig it.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/735/1*Iaykgx2jcyhvuvAohd9t8Q.jpeg[/IMG]

So well described Tacoma, it's a thoughtful film.

Mad Max
(1979)
3.75/5
I like all the Mad Max movies but this really stood up in it's own right.

I like all the Mad Max movies but this really stood up in it's own right.
Yeah great rewatch and its 41 years old.

At any price (2012)

Workaday drama with a great point. Dennis Quaid is impressive and I wish he had more roles like this....fleshed out. Man can act.

Fear, 1990

I saw this film on TV when I was in elementary school and it TERRIFIED me. I never knew the title of it, but always remembered it, and just happened to stumble across it while looking for another horror movie.

A woman named Cayce (Ally Sheedy) uses her psychic abilities to help the police catch killer, kidnappers, and other sleazy characters. When a serial killer begins committing horrible murders, Cayce works with the detectives on the case to track him down. But she soon discovers that the killer may have special abilities of his own . . .

The premise is very interesting (the killer uses his psychic powers to know his victims' greatest fears so that he can get as much terror out of them as possible), but I feel that it was slightly underused. There are two memorable kills (the scenes that I remembered from my youth), but I feel that the movie could have done more.

There's a double-edged sword to the film in terms of the fact that most of the characters (including the killer and the love interest) just look like real people. There's something kind of sweet about Cayce's tentative romance with the firefighter who lives next door. But the flip of this is that Cayce's final showdown with the killer is a bit underwhelming and almost bordering on comical.

There were two things that bothered me in the film. The first is a bit petty--namely that the way Cayce's psychic trances are shown mostly look like she really has to use the bathroom. The second problem I had, more seriously, is the number of times Cayce has a live vision of someone being stalked or killed and she does . . . nothing about it. At one point she's watching a woman get stalked and even identifies the specific location, yet neither she nor the person she communicates this to feels the need to, I don't know, call the police?

That said, the two sequences I remembered were still pretty scary. And the premise alone is enough to carry me through the film. Not the best film, but a decent made-for-TV thriller.