The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Will one of the Marvel films make the top 100? If so, which, and how high?
What will be the highest-ranked comic book film, if any?
What will be the oldest film on the countdown?
What will be the newest film on the countdown?
What's the highest-ranked film from the last list that won't make the cut at all this time?
Which film will make the biggest jump from the previous list?
What will be the top horror film?
1. None
2. Dark Knight (maybe Joker)
3. Either the Birth of a Nation or Gold Rush. Or maybe the Kid or Gone with the Wind. Definitely something before Vertigo.
4. Birdman or Parasite (thought might be a 2020 movie too)
5. A Kevin Spacey movie
6. Back to the future probably
7. Jaws (though I could see Psycho or Shining. Babadook might make its entry into the list but it is a little too obscure so I doubt it’s knocking off Jaws)

Not a big fan of black and white or foreign films (unless the first language is English) thanks for the recommendation though.
It's only about 28 minutes long. A really unique and interesting film. Well worth checking out even if it's not in your typical wheelhouse.

It's only about 28 minutes long. A really unique and interesting film. Well worth checking out even if it's not in your typical wheelhouse.
Which film ?

That's understandable. I highly recommend getting into black and white and foreign films though. Not only is it a great way to immerse yourself in other cultures, but you're also missing out on some really great stuff. As for some films which would make for great starting points, I'll recommend The Night of the Hunter (1955), To Be or Not to Be (1942), Some Like it Hot (1959), The Wages of Fear (1953), 12 Angry Men (1957), Touch of Evil (1958), Out of the Past (1947), and Psycho (1960). Also, anything from Charlie Chaplin would be ideal.
I saw 12 Angry Men before, I thought it was ok, I wouldn't say it's a favorite movie of mines.

What will be the top horror film?

7. Jaws (though I could see Psycho or Shining. Babadook might make its entry into the list but it is a little too obscure so I doubt it’s knocking off Jaws)
You won't believe this, but Jaws isn't actually classed as a horror movie.
This was a discussion that took place in the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies about a year or two ago.
Crazy stuff

I saw 12 Angry Men before, I thought it was ok, I wouldn't say it's a favorite movie of mines.
That's fine. Once you have free time though, I recommend checking out the other films I listed to see what you think of them.

This was a discussion that took place in the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies about a year or two ago.
Crazy stuff
Really ?

I have always considered creature flicks a sub-genre of horror.

Well then I guess it’ll probably be Psycho or The shining. With an outside chance of it being Alien or Babadook.

Would love to see Babadook do well in the list tbh as well ^^

I reviewed it a while back, called it the Exorcist of today.
Great movie.

I wonder what Movies that launched after the old list will find their way onto the new one ?

I think Inception is to be expected.

Maybe Carol ?

There were a lot of movies that I loved in the last 10 years but most were either Indy fare (such as Winter’s Bone), Foreign stuff (Portrait of a Lady) or not very well received by the public in general (Blade Runner 2049) or just too weird (Hardcore Henry) so I don’t see any of them making the list.

I wonder if anyone nominated cats out of pure comedy.

Crazy stuff
If its not a horror movie, what do u call a shark attacking ppl. If its not a horror movie then I guess Jaws just wanted be this friendly shark and didn't mean to bite anyone. I'm assuming they say it's not a horror movie because it's PG and back in the day with a little violence and swearing gets caught in the act a few times when it's PG.

I wonder if any 2020 movies will make the list.

The 2 best new films I’ve probably watched this year are Cuties and Borat (really want to Watch Ammonite)

I doubt cuties will make the list but Borat... hmmm maybe.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If its not a horror movie, what do u call a shark attacking ppl. If its not a horror movie then I guess Jaws just wanted be this friendly shark and didn't mean to bite anyone. I'm assuming they say it's not a horror movie because it's PG and back in the day with a little violence and swearing gets caught in the act a few times when it's PG.
We had a huge debate as to what is classified as horror. Ultimately we went with what is tagged on IMDB. Jaws is only tagged as Adventure Thriller. The Silence of the Lambs is listed as Crime, Drama, Thriller.

Then we had films like Take Shelter listed as Drama, Horror, Thriller.

It was madness...

Suspect's Reviews

We had a huge debate as to what is classified as horror. Ultimately we went with what is tagged on IMDB. Jaws is only tagged as Adventure Thriller. The Silence of the Lambs is listed as Crime, Drama, Thriller.

It was madness...
Oh... the horror !

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The House on Haunted Hill (1959) I remember being a little disappointed with this one.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) I remember really liking this one. It should have been Val Kilmer's comeback movie.

Dead Poets Society (1989) I thought it was okay. Not something that I expect to revisit anytime soon.

Donnie Brasco (1997) I like this one, Johnny Depp is not playing a wild character and it always feels like it hides in the shadows of the "great" gangster movies. I'd consider it an underrated movie.

Coraline (2009) A great kids flick that would be an entryway for horror movies.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) This movie gets a lot of hate, but I was a fan.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) John Hughes best movie.

Army of Darkness (1992) Love this movie. Love it to death. Knew that no one else would vote for it so I threw it in the 25th spot.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991) Hilarious. What do you do when you've travelled through time? You go to heaven and hell of course. A great ending too that I've watched a dozen times.

Step Brothers (2008) It was funny.

Lolita Torture Vibrator (1987) Gonna watch this alone, in my room, in the dark.

It was madness...

We could try Letterboxd. It's my favorite movie database and it's very consistent with genres.

Rotten Tomatoes is pretty consistent with this. They sometimes pair things like "mystery and thriller" but they don't change their genres like imdb does, because their data comes from a "third party."

Rate Your Music is EXTREMELY specific. Their genre tagging is built on a community upvote / downvote system, but they go deep into themes and obscure subgenres like "French new wave." But still, they have a very good film database.

We could try Letterboxd. It's my favorite movie database and it's very consistent with genres.

Rotten Tomatoes is pretty consistent with this. They sometimes pair things like "mystery and thriller" but they don't change their genres like imdb does, because their data comes from a "third party."

Rate Your Music is EXTREMELY specific. Their genre tagging is built on a community upvote / downvote system, but they go deep into themes and obscure subgenres like "French new wave." But still, they have a very good film database.
Rotten Tomatoes says Jaws is an Adventure, Mystery, Thriller and Horror
Letterboxd says it's a Thriller, Horror and Adventure

I feel I need to expand a little on Jaws not being classed as horror
MoFo goes by IMDb, considering it's the largest and most profound when it comes to classifications and information.
It classes Jaws as a thriller, adventure.

We did however overrule IMDb with Jaws. We've overruled it with maybe 5 or 6 movies over the years tbh.