What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Thank goodness you blind bought L.A. Confidential, bro. It's a brilliant piece of modern-noir.

They didn't even have Gosford Park? That's amazing.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Thank goodness you blind bought L.A. Confidential, bro. It's a brilliant piece of modern-noir.

They didn't even have Gosford Park? That's amazing.
Ahh, I forgot about that one. I was just pulling the names of the films I remembered you folks throwing around while talking about the genius of Altman. Holden had also recommended McCabe and Mrs. Miller to me in a PM a while back. He hit me with a nice list of seminal westerns to check out, many of which I have. I also looked for The Long Goodbye, which I know you love, but they didn't have that either. The Long Goodbye is in my Netflix list and will come to me in the next week or so, so I will get a chance to watch it.

I have seen LA Confidential, but just don't remember a damn thing about it. Of course, I watched it back when Tales From the Cryptemon Knight was one of my favorite films, so I don't think I would have appreciated it properly...

Damn I am glad I found MoFo....

Demon Knight?? Yup, still a guilty pleasure, but man, it's not very good.

Sheesh....

McCabe and Mrs. Miller is certainly one of his very best, all right. Not many films bring the opression from hard living back in the old days as perfectly. I could almost feel the damp coldness in my living room...plus Ms. Christie is at her very best...plus Beatty is at his very best...plus Altman is at his very best...plus...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
LA Confidential for 9 friggin' BUCKS?! God smiled on you, Sabu! That is an excellent noir and a battle of archetypes in the classical vein.

I am about to launch into an Altman phase. His intro to Rashomon grabbed me, big time, and now I'm all curious to see how he does his thing. What would you guys recommend as essential? (I have seen only a couple of his, and long ago, so the field is wide open.)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I am about to launch into an Altman phase. His intro to Rashomon grabbed me, big time, and now I'm all curious to see how he does his thing. What would you guys recommend as essential? (I have seen only a couple of his, and long ago, so the field is wide open.)
Nashville
Short Cuts
M*A*S*H
McCabe & Mrs Miller

and maybe The Player for starters.

Altman's a wonderful director.

I am about to launch into an Altman phase. His intro to Rashomon grabbed me, big time, and now I'm all curious to see how he does his thing. What would you guys recommend as essential? (I have seen only a couple of his, and long ago, so the field is wide open)
M*A*S*H and The Player are probably his most accessible among his great works. The Long Goodbye too, and it's a must. Nashville and Short Cuts are both great masterpieces, but you might not want to jump right into them until you're more familiar with his style. McCabe & Mrs. Miller definitely, just genius stuff. Cookie's Fortune isn't one of his most singular works, but it is so damn enjoyable. I really love California Split, but now we're starting to get into the territory of either loving or hating his films. Images is frippin' brilliant, but I'm sure there are many who would give up on it half-way through.

THIS thread is a few years old now, but the info there is still valid, and I can't find any better Bob Altman threads in the MoFo archives.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

a spanish movie "LOS SIN NOMBRE" -The Nameless-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222368/

why? because the price was $37 pesos ($3 USD aprox.) and the dvd was new!!

Damn, I wrote all this out before I noticed anyone other than Tacitus had replied. Now it's just repeating a bunch of stuff.

Oh well, I hate to waste it.

There is still plenty of essential Altman that I have yet to see, so I may be missing a classic. If I knew someone local who has yet to see any Altman at all, I would start them off with M*A*S*H. It’s easily the most widely known of all his films, and certainly deserves the praise it has gotten. If they enjoyed that, I’d move on to McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye, and his newest masterpiece, Gosford Park. Nashville is an amazing piece of work, but I dislike country music so much, I wound up gritting my teeth throughout most the film. I liked it, but it was almost an excruciating experience for me…odd as that sounds. The thing is, most of the characters who are supposed to be country music stars, are terrible! It was deliberate, and sometimes funny, but the only thing I hate more than country music (other than rap), is bad country music…if there is such a difference.

Other than those, I’ve only seen four others. California Split, a fun gambling flick starring Gould, and as you yourself labeled him, that guy from Just Shoot Me. Popeye, great if you’re really stoned, and okay if you’re not. Short Cuts, which is similar to a Paul Thomas Anderson flick (I think Anderson mimics Altman, making him a lot like Tarantino to me.) And Cookie's Fortune, a really underrated comedy.

There are still so many I need to see, but I can tell you this…Altman is on my top 5 list for living directors. He’s a magician, an auteur, and quite simply, a master storyteller.

I hope you fall in love with him too, C.

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Nashville is an amazing piece of work, but I dislike country music so much, I wound up gritting my teeth throughout most the film. I liked it, but it was almost an excruciating experience for me…odd as that sounds. The thing is, most of the characters who are supposed to be country music stars, are terrible! It was deliberate, and sometimes funny, but the only thing I hate more than country music (other than rap), is bad country music…if there is such a difference.
I thought some tunes were quite catchy...

"My mother's people came by ship, and fought at Bunker Hill. My daddy lost a leg in France, I have his medal's still. My brother served with Patton, I saw action in Algiers. Oh, we must be doin' something right, to last... two-hundred years!!!"

But they're intentionally bad!

At least, that's what I assumed. Maybe I actually detest country music. Hmm...

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by jrs
Please tell me you've seen the original BBC version?!

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by jrs
Though what's wrong with our version?????
It doesn't work one bit. I've hated the idea of this remake since the beginning, but I still felt obligated to give the show a chance. I regret watching this fuddle of un-funny moments with no comedic talent whatsoever. Steve Carrell tries far too hard to be playing this character and fails and it while Ricky Gervais get's it so very perfectly. And Gervais can actually get a laugh out of us. So, "The Office" (USA)... horrendous. "The Office" (BBC)... one of the best television series' ever created.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
It doesn't work one bit. I've hated the idea of this remake since the beginning..... I regret watching this fuddle of un-funny moments with no comedic talent whatsoever. Steve Carrell fails and it while Ricky Gervais get's it so very perfectly. So, "The Office" (USA)... horrendous. "The Office" (BBC)... one of the best television series' ever created.
To each his own as it goes.

Can we try with real bullets now?
Hero was on sale for ten dollars so I immediately picked that up. I would've bought it earlier, but it used to be $22.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
LA Confidential for 9 friggin' BUCKS?!
That's the good thing about Best Buy: they have tons of great movies priced between 6 and 10 dollars. Such as: Rainman, Bladerunner, The Big Lebowski, Top Secret, Airplane, Dark City and High Fidelity just to name a few.

The People's Republic of Clogher
HMV were doing 3 pretty recent DVDs for £20, which seems a great deal 'til you find lots of titles on the shelf which they recently had on sale for £4.99.

I still bought 6 for 40 quid though. Must stop visiting that shop...

Highlights -

Anyone want my vanilla version?

Anyone want my vanilla version?