War in the Middle East

Tools    

Alrighty. Sorry for my absence (if anyone's still interested in all this); a new car and new apartment have distracted me heavily for the last couple months, but things are a bit calmer now. Dunno if anyone else is still interested in this discussion, but if they are, well, here goes:

First off, thanks to Equilibrium for posting those translations. I do have quite a few questions, though. Namely, why are there so many contradictory copies of the Quran floating around? Which am I to believe, and why? Which do you have, and why is it more reliable than what the University of Michigan (which, as far as I can see, has no apparent bias here) has posted online? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'd genuinely like to know how one determines this.

Also, I see this debate as two seperate questions, which are often confused with one another: first, who has a right to the land, and second, what kind of transgressions have the two sides of this conflict committed against one another?

The first, at the risk of sounding arrogant, seems inarguable to me. The Palestinians never had legal claim to the land; they were merely tenants, first under the rule of the Ottoman Empire, and then Britain. It was Britain's land when they gave it to the Israelis, and thus the Israelis own it. Personally, I can see no argument that can circumvent this fact.

Now, that still leaves two other sub-questions (one technical, the second ethical): first, just how (and how many) were the Palestinians removed, and second, is that method (and/or number) morally wrong? From what I understand, the former question is in dispute. I'm quite certain that anecdotal evidence of Palestinians being forced to leave exists, but I haven't seen anything yet (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, of course) that would allow critics of Israeli to extrapolate that to the entire population.

The second question is trickier, I think. Even if we assume that the Israelis have legal right to the land (indisputable, in my mind at my current level of understanding), and even if we assume that they did forcibly remove a significant number of Palestinians (possibly arguable...?), that still leaves us with the question of whether or not they were unreasonable to do so.

On one hand, it seems rather heartless. These people may not have had a genuine legal claim to the land, but they did live there. On the other hand, the Jewish people had been through incomparable hardships, and can hardly be faulted for being wary of not only founding a new country amidst people who would likely despise them for inheriting it, but even allow some such people to live amongst them.

I think, to achieve any sort of clarity in this debate, the areas of disagreement must be pinpointed. Where does the disagreement lie, in each instance: is it with the issue of legal claim? With the ethics (or lack thereof) in supplanting a settled culture? Or is it simply with Israel's conduct throughout the conflict, regardless of who was right to begin with? And which is more important, anyway? Who was correct then, or who's behaving correctly now (neither, I think we can all agree)?

I think answering these questions is key to establishing any sort of understanding. Otherwise people are content to weigh-in by posting casualty numbers and horrific anecdotes, rather than anything which advances the discussion.

You ready? You look ready.
I stand close to the same spot as Sam Harris, the author of The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation, when I say that the real underlying problem for just about anyone of the countless conflicts, comes from the tolerance of religion.
Originally Posted by Sam Harris
The very ideal of religious tolerance—born of the notion that every human being should be free to believe whatever he wants about God—is one of the principal forces driving us toward the abyss.
We tolerant people killing each other because of disputes over the supernatural and the differences in their religious doctrines. This leads to battles over holy lands and just who is entitled to them. We need to stop it, now.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Yoda
Also, I see this debate as two seperate questions, which are often confused with one another: first, who has a right to the land, and second, what kind of transgressions have the two sides of this conflict committed against one another?

The first, at the risk of sounding arrogant, seems inarguable to me. The Palestinians never had legal claim to the land; they were merely tenants, first under the rule of the Ottoman Empire, and then Britain. It was Britain's land when they gave it to the Israelis, and thus the Israelis own it. Personally, I can see no argument that can circumvent this fact.
Except of course that it isn't a fact. In fact, it's completely false.

You've claimed before in this thread that the Palestinians have never had any legal right to the area known as Palestine.

Instead of repeating myself I will just post two previous posts by me from this very thread - the first one was even a reply to a post written by you.

In 1947 UN divided the territory in two parts: one jewish and one arab. After that the nation of Israel was proclaimed in 1948 which wasn't very popular among the arab states, who saw the entire area as being Palestinian property. So they attacked Israel but they didn't succeed in crushing the new state. Instead Israel occupied the Palestinian areas, The West Bank, Gaza and seized total control over Jerusalem. The also conquered Sinai and Golan from Egypt, and Jordan I think (not sure). But anyway... When you say that the Palestines never had a country of their own, as in a piece of land acknowledged by UN and so forth, you're completely wrong. They were given land too but lost it in wars against Israel who does not want to give it back.
and

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Here's a map of what the 1947 UN Partition Plan looked like:

Source: Department for Jewish Zionist Education

As you can see on the map, the area formerly known as Palestine during the British mandate from 1923, by 1947 had been divided into jewish and arab territories while Jerusalem was supposed to be under UN administration. So in 1947 the Palestinian arabs actually had their own land for a while.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Also, I see this debate as two seperate questions, which are often confused with one another:

'Who has a right to the land?'

I've always found your legality argument fairly peverse, and feel the ethical dimension should play more strongly in terms of who has a 'right' to the land. Because...

Legality doesn't exist in a moral vacuum

Would the British Empire have been justified in handing Jamaica over to new 'owners', for example, and turfing out all the Jamaicans in the process? Even if it was legal on paper?

(Well hey, we actually did that in the case of Diego Garcia island in the 60s - so you guys could build an airbase there. Lovely).

The point being: Laws are ideally there to enforce communal standards of justice (and by extension, many aspects of shared morality too). But that's just the ideal. The reality is a lot messier...

International law is fairly lawless

Britain seems to have considered a potential Israeli state as a 'proxy' state - suggesting at the time that it could help protect the Suez canal etc. And, as it turns out, when Egypt decided to nationalise the canal in 57 Israel invaded at the UK and France's behest, to 'legitimize' the 'peace-keeping' counter-invasion by those two nations. A far from 'legal' set of affairs, you could say.

The point being: Geopolitical forces regularly bend laws to their advantage. If the UK itself couldn't stick to international law on that occasion, why should our gift of a war-won Israel be taken as a just, legal and irreproachable act?

(Oh, i can list pre-WWII rule-bending by the UK if you like, btw. Or any other influential country you'd care to mention )

The UK didn't 'give' Israel wholesale to the Zionists

As Pidz has pointed out - the UK didn't hand over the area completely to the Zionists. We tried to oversee a 'dual nation'. When it turned out to be a complete powder keg, we got the hell out, and dumped it in the UN's lap.

If we'd given the Israelis absolute 'landlord rights' as you suggest - then surely turfing out 'old tenants' would have been the first order of the day?

---

Now, that still leaves two other sub-questions (one technical, the second ethical): first, just how (and how many) were the Palestinians removed, and second, is that method (and/or number) morally wrong?
According to this old BBC article...
By the middle of 1949 up to 700,000 of about 900,000 Palestinian Arabs had left the affected region, forced out by a combination of Jewish/Israeli terror tactics, the frightening thrust of war, the contagious panic of local residents, fractious and incompetent Arab leadership, the flight of some richer and therefore influential families and the actual sale of Arab land to the Jews without coercion, often by absentee Arab landlords.
The morality question comes down to whether:

(a) It was moral for the Zionists to want to move wholesale into a populated land.

(b) It was moral for Palestinians to object to this wholesale influx.

(c) The religious differences between Jews and Muslims which exacerbated the violent aspects of this episode are morally justified.

Have fun resolving (c)

'What kind of transgressions have the two sides of this conflict committed against one another?'

Short answer: Sizeable ones. It's a no-score-draw.

But anyway... When you say that the Palestines never had a country of their own, as in a piece of land acknowledged by UN and so forth, you're completely wrong. They were given land too but lost it in wars against Israel who does not want to give it back.
I don't believe I said that they "never had a country of their own." Just that they didn't have that particular piece of land (where Israel is now situated). When I say "that land belonged to the Jews," I'm simply referring to the land that was given to them; no more or less. My apologies if this vague shorthand has caused any confusion.

That said, I think your clarifications only help to make my point, in that it's not as if the Palestinians were cast aside with nowhere to go. Both groups of people were given a place to live, ultimately, but only the Palestinians were unsatisfied with the arrangement. Do you think the initial partition was unjust?

While Israel's expansion can be assumed to have exacerbated the conflict, I do not see how they can be blamed for it. Upon Israel's inception, it was almost immediately attacked by FIVE neighboring Arab states. That they retaliated by taking some of the very land from which they were being attacked should be expected. Removing the means with which someone is actively harming you is, arguably, every nation's right.

Also, justified or not, the land Israel acquired after the War of Independence obviously cannot account for the cause of that same war. There are only two explanations (at least, that I can recognize): either Syria, Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, and Jordan decided to go to war over their collective empathy for the plight of the Palestinians (doubtful, I hope you'll agree), or they simply were inherently hostile towards the idea of a Jewish state.

Palestinian displacement can certainly account for Palestinian opposition, and their shrinking territory over the decades may account for the longevity and intensity of the conflict, but it cannot account for the ferocity and immediacy with which the entire area attacked Israel upon its founding.

I don't believe I said that they "never had a country of their own." Just that they didn't have that particular piece of land (where Israel is now situated). When I say "that land belonged to the Jews," I'm simply referring to the land that was given to them; no more or less. My apologies if this vague shorthand has caused any confusion.

That said, I think your clarifications only help to make my point, in that it's not as if the Palestinians were cast aside with nowhere to go. Both groups of people were given a place to live, ultimately, but only the Palestinians were unsatisfied with the arrangement. Do you think the initial partition was unjust?
I do not have an opinion about whether it was unjust or not. The partition happened and borderlines were being drawn out. I think all parties involved should stick to those borders, as illustrated on the map I posted. Today, in reality, Israel is still occupying the land that according to all kinds of agreements was supposed to belong to the Palestinians. It is clear that Israel without a doubt is violating the agreement upon which the partition was based and as Golgot pointed out, they also threw out hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from their homes because they were Arabs and not Jews. Then when surrounding Arab states decided to attack Israel these people had absolutely no place to go since their home, Palestine, was being occupied by Israel. Following generations of people lived all their lives in refugee camps, a perfect foundation for hate and terrorism. You might be thinking that they could have gone to Egypt or Lebanon or Jordan or whichever Arab state. That is the mistake most people arguing against a Palestine state is doing, thinking that an Arab can live in any Arab state since they're all Arabs anyway. I find it's very hard to believe that any wasp New Yorker would accept to move to New Jersey because the Jewish or Muslim or Chinese minority have been given New York state by the government and in New Jersey most people are white anyway.

While Israel's expansion can be assumed to have exacerbated the conflict, I do not see how they can be blamed for it. Upon Israel's inception, it was almost immediately attacked by FIVE neighboring Arab states. That they retaliated by taking some of the very land from which they were being attacked should be expected. Removing the means with which someone is actively harming you is, arguably, every nation's right.

Also, justified or not, the land Israel acquired after the War of Independence obviously cannot account for the cause of that same war. There are only two explanations (at least, that I can recognize): either Syria, Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, and Jordan decided to go to war over their collective empathy for the plight of the Palestinians (doubtful, I hope you'll agree), or they simply were inherently hostile towards the idea of a Jewish state.
It's possible that it was a little bit of both.

You are making very valid points about Israel's right to defend themselves against agressors. You are not making one single valid point to why they would have the right to the Palestinian territories after almost 60 years of occupation.

Palestinian displacement can certainly account for Palestinian opposition, and their shrinking territory over the decades may account for the longevity and intensity of the conflict, but it cannot account for the ferocity and immediacy with which the entire area attacked Israel upon its founding.
Again, I really have no opinion on what happened 60 years ago. And I can't see how it justifies the occupation of Palestine since the attack on Israel didn't come from Palestine but from other states.

The question was whether Palestine has legal right to territories occupied by Israel and they do.

Hm...some really interesting stuff here. I have to go to work in about 10 minutes So I don't really have time to delve into anything but, I will when I get back tonight or tomorrow.

But before I go, I want to thank Golgot and Pidz. I have never really looked at this issue from a british perspective...so thanks for the insight.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
I want to thank Golgot and Pidz. I have never really looked at this issue from a british perspective
What about the swedish perspective??

there's a frog in my snake oil
What about the swedish perspective??
Bah, bunch of peaceniks

Peaceniks AND depressed weekend alcoholics, please!
All Sweds are women?

Read a few older posts on this thread today, very interesting stuff.

What a difference the day makes.

Why all this trouble with countries that start with the letter I?

Geez, digging up an old thread eh?

Wish we still had good discussions here...

Geez, digging up an old thread eh?

Wish we still had good discussions here...
Yeah it was totally by mistake I reread this thread, but then I started reading and I saw how knee-jerkish I was. I cannot say that much of my thoughts have changed, but I can certainly admit that I have become more open-minded to others ideals.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i refuse to go back and read this... i just found out that my hubby is headed over to iraq to fight for a country who at times doesn't like us in just a few weeks. i am scared more so than i have ever been in my 33 yrs of life!!! yes i have heard its getting better over there but thats not setting my fears down at all. i am still wondering who i will vote for based on this war and what they propose to do........ just had to get that off my chest. please do not throw stones at me!!!

Yeah it was totally by mistake I reread this thread, but then I started reading and I saw how knee-jerkish I was. I cannot say that much of my thoughts have changed, but I can certainly admit that I have become more open-minded to others ideals.
Then this forum and specifically this thread have served their purpose

Read a few older posts on this thread today, very interesting stuff.

What a difference the day makes.

Why all this trouble with countries that start with the letter I?

Yeah those Icelanders are a constant pain in the collective butt of the world. Not to mention the Irish... a bunch of potato-munching, turf-throwing drunks.