Issue with The Matrix

Tools    

I have a problem. I will be seeing the second Matrix today (for the first time), so maybe it will answer this question.

Does The Matrix adequately address the issue of death? If the Matrix is responsible for our world view (or the illusion thereof) then what is the benefit of our deaths to the system? Why drain the batteries with emotional pain, or why have pain at all. Why not simply create a euphoric world (heaven) and install us all there instead of dealing with the pain of death? Why not explain it as something wonderful and happy?

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
I have a problem. I will be seeing the second Matrix today (for the first time), so maybe it will answer this question.

Does The Matrix adequately address the issue of death? If the Matrix is responsible for our world view (or the illusion thereof) then what is the benefit of our deaths to the system? Why drain the batteries with emotional pain, or why have pain at all. Why not simply create a euphoric world (heaven) and install us all there instead of dealing with the pain of death? Why not explain it as something wonderful and happy?
From The Matrix, courtesty of IMDB.com:

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

Funny thing is, the matrix is a backup, they havent truly awakened yet, who knows how deep they are, and how many levels they must escape before they wake up as a brain in a vat.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Sir Toose
...then what is the benefit of our deaths to the system? Why drain the batteries with emotional pain, or why have pain at all.
I think the agents only try and kill the rebels etc (guess they're not clued in to the Zion-blag/"solution", or they're part of it etc). And i don't think the quality of the emotion matters to the Matrix - they just need the minds to be conscious or something.

And that bet still isn't in 7thson. Can't wait to find out tho.