The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I liked Ida, not the kind of movie that makes a huge impression on me though.

Wanted to watch Scott Pilgrim for this countdown but ran out of time.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I Have Seen from the past six:

76. Shutter Island (2010, Martin Scorsese) 91 points

It's Scorcese. It's DiCaprio. Don't care that the twist is a blatant no-brainer. It's Scorcese and DiCaprio. I'm watching. I'm enjoying it. Need to revisit this. Glad to see it make it.

75. The Raid 2 (2014, Gareth Evans) 94 points

I think my preference for Redemption on my List is familiarity. I've seen the first three times before seeing the second. Pretty happy to see them both get entered.

My #8

73. Hell or High Water (2016, David Mackenzie) 97 points

Hitting all the marks for a Modern Western, HoHW has a very solid cast with two brothers (Chris Pine and Ben Foster) whose dynamics were superb, along with the dogged pursuit of a Texas Rancher (Jeff Bridges) for Bank Robbing the very same bank franchise looking to foreclosure their family property. A premise that could easily run the path of an action film is given the gravitas of the emotional connection of the two lead brothers with well-balanced pacing bringing both substance and entertainment to this excellent film.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010, Edgar Wright) 97 points

Not a fan. Cera's character irked the hell outta me, ruining any hope of appreciating the rest of the film.

Movies Seen 16 out of 30 (53.33%)
1. Upper Fifty
2. Jojo Rabbit (2012) #89
3. Lower Thirty if at all
4. Will be a Surprise
5. Mid Pack
6. Mid Pack
7. Upper Fifty
8. Hell or High Water (2016) #76
9. Unlikely
10. Upper Twenty
11. Mid Pack
12. Probably Not
13. The King's Speech (2010) #78
14. Upper Fifty
15. The Raid (2011) #100
16. Mid, maybe Upper Fifty
17. Mid Pack
18. Upper Fifty
19. Mid to Upper Pack
20. Lower Fifty
21. Hopefully Places
22. Lower Fifty
23. Mid Pack
24. Mid Pack or Higher
25. A Royal Affair (2012) (One Pointer)

One Pointers Seen 7 out of 35 (20%)

Rectification List
86. 1917 (2019)

I watched Ida for a Hall of Fame several years ago, but had to hunt down my review just now to see what I thought of it. It turns out, I actually liked it quite a bit, but it did not stick with me at all and reading that review didn't trigger any memories of it. I doubt that it would've gotten my vote if I had rewatched it.

I watched 135 movies in preparation for this countdown and Scott Pilgrim wasn't one of them.

Seen: 16/30
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My review for Ida:

Ida (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2013)
Imdb

Date Watched: 9/28/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 11th MoFo Hall of Fame
Rewatch: No

Potential Spoilers Ahead

Despite its 82 minute runtime, this is by no means a film for those with deficient attention spans. It crawls at a snail's pace. There's little excitement. There's no color. There's only quiet contemplation, reflection, and questions with no concrete answers.

The film centers on two characters - Anna and Wanda. Anna spent her childhood as an orphan in a convent. Now a young woman, she is on the verge of taking her vows to spend the rest of her life as a nun. But first she must spend time with Wanda - an aunt Anna never knew, who will reveal to her a tragic family secret.

I instantly connected with Wanda and sympathized with her struggles to process her grief over the murders of her family. Anna was a little more difficult. I imagine it must be quite a shock to suddenly go from knowing nothing of your origins to learning that your name and your religion are not at all what they once were and that your parents are buried somewhere in unmarked graves - victims of murder that will never get justice. But her face and actions never seemed to betray any emotion at any point in the film, making that critical connection nearly impossible for me to form.

Which is not necessarily to say that this was a poor artistic choice. After all, how much grief can a person really have for people they never really knew? But even in Ida's (Anna's birth name) brief discovery and exploration of mankind's carnal urges she expresses neither joy nor regret or disappointment. Something that I found almost more frustrating than her near non-reaction to finding out about her family.

Still, the story itself was an engaging one and as frustrated as I was with Anna/Ida, she still somehow didn't seem unreal to me. I also really liked that the film never really vilified the killer and left his true motivations open to interpretation rather than painting a black and white picture of the how and the why.

Anyway, forgive my rambling, train-of-thought review here. There were several things that I really liked about the film, but ultimately I found myself respecting it a lot more than I actually enjoyed it.

-

Actually, I believe Apex has taken the lead!
Yep...I think that's my third point.

Ida is one of those films I've championed for a while largely because it feels like it was photographed before it was filmed. No wonder it got a cinematography nomination at the Oscars.

Will get into both films after work. I did put both on my list.

Ida and Cold War have both left me but I’m willing to rewatch both again. Interesting director.

I hadn’t seen Scott Pilgrim till last year because I thought I would hate it. Watched it with my son thinking he would probably dig it. He ended up despising it, but I thought it was pretty fun. Far from making my list, but I’m not complaining.

Scott Pilgrim was my 3! One of my favorite movies of all time. Like all good Edgar Wright movies it gets better and you notice more things the more times you watch it. I love that Scott thinks he’s the nice guy hero but is actually a selfish ******* who all his friends hate. I love that it’s about the emotional baggage that comes with a relationship but framed in a fun video game comic book way. But overall it’s just funny and fast-paced and endlessly rewatchable.

I haven’t seen Ida.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World...the first countdown film that I haven't seen but would like to. Don't know if I'd like it or not but it looks like I might have a chance of liking it.

Ida my review:

Ida (2013)
Director
Pawel Pawlikowski

About: A young woman who is about to take her vows and become a nun in 1960s Poland. Before she can take her vows she discover a dark secret about her family that involves her aunt and the Germans during WWII. The film follows her as she discovers what had been hidden from her.

Review
: Very enjoyable film. I had wanted to see Ida for a long time and I was not disappointed. It's so exceptionally well made, that I don't know where to begin?

Let's start with the black and white photography...I love b&w, and the choice to use it here was perfect. Without color, our eyes & our minds go then to the shape and form of what we are looking at...And OMG talk about amazing compositions! I loved how the camera shots were framed with the subject often very low in the frame, with a vast space of emptiness over their heads. Which shows us how small Ida is compared to the world outside of her convent, a world she knows nothing about. Through black and white cinematography we see the shape and form of a bleak communist Poland, circa 1962.

Equally I was impressed with the subdued minimalist style of story telling. Very simply done and very effective. I thought Ida was an interesting story and it held my attention.

Sooo happy to see Ida make the countdown. I love it, which you can see from my review which Speling quoted, and from the fact that I currently nominated for the HOF30. Read my full review for all my thoughts, or better yet, watch it. It's an excellent film. I had it at #13, and it's the second film from my ballot to make it.

I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. the World a while ago and, although I liked it, I wasn't very crazy about it. It wasn't in contention for my list at all.

So, here's where I'm at...

Seen: 23/30

My ballot:  

I didn’t care much for Scott Pilgrim, even though I do love me some Edgar Wright… Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite films and favorite comedies ever. And I love the Cornetto trilogy overall as well as Baby Driver, which has immense replay value. But Scott Pilgrim didn’t do it for me. I might try again some day.

As for Ida, it was my #22.

I love that film. It is breathtakingly beautiful. One of my favorite films in terms of cinematography. I even made a coffee commercial at film school very slightly inspired by it (mostly by feel than by look) but our teacher said, without knowing anything, “Pawlikowski would be proud”. And man. That was amazing. Anyways, a great film, simple but beautiful and I love getting sucked up into the black and white world of the film. Very happy to see it here.

I totally forgot about Ida. Saw it back in the day and remember it being visually breathtaking.
Glad to see it make the list (need to give it a revisit soon).

Scott Pilgrim vs The World...the first countdown film that I haven't seen but would like to. Don't know if I'd like it or not but it looks like I might have a chance of liking it.
It would be hard for me to think of a movie, outside of the MCU, that I would recommend to you less.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
catching up...

• 76. Shutter Island (2010) - saw it when it came out. Then I thought it is ok and nothing more. It couldn't satisfy the high expectations I had. As most users here say, it faded away. I think worth a re-watch.
-

• 75. The Raid 2 (2014) - there is not only Raid 1 but Raid 2 too. That's too much. Never heard these.

'Ida' was my no. 9. It's one of the most beautiful pictures this century.

Of the last 6 or so, no others made my list but I do like 'Hell or High Water' alot, that's a great film.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
catching up ...

I saw both Knives Out and Hell or High Water during their respective award seasons.

• 74. Knives Out (2019) - couldn't satisfy my high expectations considering the grand colorful cast. It turned that these all were hired to serve as a nice background to someone's protégé put at the center. I even don't remember who she was.
+ (63/100).

• 73. Hell or High Water (2016) - Liked this one. I think, it has a potential classic atmosphere and will be remembered. Jeff Bridges is just the guy for this project. It is far from my top favorites of the decade but good enough to be in my consideration, finally placed at #29 on my list.
- (79/100).

I'm really surprised it is in the bottom half of top 100. I thought, it is highly popular among the American audience. My prognosis was, it gonna make top 30 for sure.

Victim of The Night
Scott Pilgrim was a fun-time fav for me.
I would never have imagined that it would end up 11th on any list of mine but I guess that's what I thought of the decade.

The trick is not minding
Scott Pilgrim was an early cut for me. But I’m pleased to see it made the list. Just a fun movie that doesn’t care about being “art”, but rather tell a simple, yet crazy, story about self worth.