Rank Fincher's Films

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes...
Arguably one of the greatest directors of our time. Most of his films are modern classics and considered some of the greatest films of all time. The reason I am making this thread though is to see which part of his career people lean more towards. I have always noticed that from Alien³ (1992) on to Panic Room (2002) his films have a grimier tone to them and less emphasis on perfect camera work. After Panic Room he took a five year break and came back with Zodiac (2007). This film was drastically different in the technical department. He started to refine his style to practical perfection. I don't know if everyone has found that to be true, but while studying I have always noticed that and he has been doing the same style since Gone Girl (2014).

So first question is which style do you prefer?

Second is to rank them:

1. Social Network
2. Se7en
3. Zodiac
4. Fight Club
5. Curious Case of Benjamin Button
6. Panic Room
7. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
8. Gone Girl
9. The Game
10. Alien³

This thread has been done before i'm sure. Anyway i'd go:

1.SE7EN
2.Zodiac
3.the social network
4.Fight Club
5.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
6.Gone Girl
7.The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
8.The Game
9.Alien 3
10.Panic Room

1. Se7en
2. Zodiac
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons
4. Fight Club
5. The Social Network
6. Panic Room
7. Alien 3
8. The Game
9. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

still have not seen Gone Girl I gotta get on that

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere. Anyways...

1. Se7en
2. Fight Club
3. Zodiac
4. The Social Network
5. The Game
6. Gone Girl
7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
8. Panic Room
9. Alien 3

Have not seen Benjamin Button

Suspect's Reviews

I have to return some videotapes...
This thread has been done before i'm sure. Anyway i'd go:

1.SE7EN
2.Zodiac
3.the social network
4.Fight Club
5.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
6.Gone Girl
7.The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
8.The Game
9.Alien 3
10.Panic Room
What problems did you have with Panic Room? I really enjoy that film.

I have to return some videotapes.
1. Gone Girl

2. Se7en
+
3. The Social Network
+
4. The Game

5. Zodiac

6. Fight Club
-
7. Curious Case of Benjamin Button
-
8. Panic Room

Won't see Alien3, but I need to watch TGWTDT

I go back and forth between whether I like The Social Network or SE7EN the most, but since I have more recently rewatched SE7EN, that wins. This week.

1. SE7EN
2. the social network
3. Zodiac
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. Fight Club
6. Gone Girl
7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
8. Panic Room
9. The Game
10. ALIEN³

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've never seen The Social Network because I'm anti-Facebook, and refuse to watch anyone other than Noomi Rapace play Lisbeth Salander. So I'll just rank the others I've seen.

1. Se7en
2. Zodiac
3. Fight Club
4. Gone Girl
5. Panic Room
6. The Game
7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8. Alien3

I've never seen The Social Network because I'm anti-Facebook, and refuse to watch anyone other than Noomi Rapace play Lisbeth Salander.
I prefer Noomi, who I saw before the Americanized remake, but Rooney Mara is quite good, too, and more criminally you are depriving yourself of Fincher's direction, which is a silly thing to do, as his craft is immensely more impressive than Niels Arden Oplev's. I like Oplev, and met him at a film festival when he was showing his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, he was a super nice guy. But come on, even for those people who don't like Fincher's films overall, there can be little debate that his visuals and understanding of how to bring dark genre material to life is rather spectacular.

Not seeing The Social Network because you hate Facebook is like depriving yourself of Raging Bull because you don't like boxing or Lawrence of Arabia because you once got sand in your underwear at the beach.

But whatevs.

This is very hard to do. He has made some sublime films and some of them come very close. In all honestly the top three could be switched around in any way and I would be happy. So yeah, I'll try my best here...

1. Fight Club
2. The Social Network
3. Se7en
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (needs rewatch)
5. The Game
6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
7. Gone Girl
8. Zodiac
9. Panic Room
10. Alien 3

I prefer Noomi, who I saw before the Americanized remake, but Rooney Mara is quite good, too, and more criminally you are depriving yourself of Fincher's direction, which is a silly thing to do, as his craft is immensely more impressive than Niels Arden Oplev's. I like Oplev, and met him at a film festival when he was showing his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, he was a super nice guy. But come on, even for those people who don't like Fincher's films overall, there can be little debate that his visuals and understanding of how to bring dark genre material to life is rather spectacular.

Not seeing The Social Network because you hate Facebook is like depriving yourself of Raging Bull because you don't like boxing or Lawrence of Arabia because you once got sand in your underwear at the beach.

But whatevs.
All fair comments and I'm certainly not questioning Fincher's craft. I just have absolutely no interest whatsoever in seeing those two movies. Zero, zip, zilch, nada. Just like I don't feel compelled to see every single Scorsese or Woody Allen movie, because not all of them pique my interest. If that makes me unworthy of being a true film fan in your, or anyone else's eyes then so be it. I'm not ticking off lists and my ignorant-ass-self can live with that.

I find his more recent stuff to be the most captivating. I still haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button though.

1. Gone Girl

2. Zodiac

3. Fight Club

4. The Social Network

5. Seven

6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

7. Panic Room

8. Alien 3

9. The Game

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Haven't seen all of them, but here's my ranking of the ones I have seen.

1. Fight Club
2. The Social Network
3. Zodiac
4. Se7en
5. Panic Room
6. Gone Girl
7. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

1.) Se7en -10/10
2.) Fight Club -9/10
3.) Zodiac -8/10
4.) The Social Network -8/10
5.) The Game -8/10
6.) Gone Girl -8/10
7.) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -8/10
8.) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -7/10
9.) Panic Room -7/10
10.) Alien 3 -5/10

1. Se7en: The best by a wide margin imo. Fincher's masterpiece.
2. Fight Club: A great movie, but not quite the masterpiece of #1
3. Zodiac: A slow burner, but an excellent film.
4. The Social Network: A good movie, but I find it overrated.
5. The Game: Fincher's most underrated movie.

This might just do nobody any good.
1. Zodiac - among top five greatest American crime films of all time

2. The Social Network - already one of the most significant films of the decade

3. Fight Club - so subversive that its biggest following is based around a misreading

4. Se7en - genre masterpiece

5. Benjamin Button - I’m a cheesy sentimentalist

1. Zodiac - among top five greatest American crime films of all time

2. The Social Network - already one of the most significant films of the decade

3. Fight Club - so subversive that its biggest following is based around a misreading

4. Se7en - genre masterpiece

5. Benjamin Button - I’m a cheesy sentimentalist
I like Benjamin Button too. That would probably be #6 on my list. Very sad ending, almost hard to watch.

I'm in the minority in that I didn't really care much for Gone Girl. I saw it once and have zero desire to ever rewatch it.

This might just do nobody any good.
Gone Girl is probably 6th for me. I don’t love it but it’s a great companion piece with Social Network.

Toxicity in media, y’know.