Television Tab

Tools    

I quite liked the first few Sherlocks, but last nights was a bit dull.
Are you going to watch Deuschland 83 and War and Peace? Looking forward to both of these

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm looking forward to War and Peace too, can't remember when it is on though. Deutschland 83 also looks good from the trailer.

I've recorded both, Christine, but today I saw that Elijah Wood is in it. Can I see him as a Russian count? I'm gonna try.

I watched Sherlock today as a friend has recorded it and not watched it. It was alright, but I'd have much rather have had it been a straight Victorian set Sherlock.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'm not entirely sure what to think of Sherlock's "The Abominable Bride". It was certainly an interesting watch. The Victorian-set stuff I liked but then I was quite thrown when it returned to the modern day. Perhaps it's just because it was so unexpected and on a rewatch it would play better. And while I wasn't entirely sure of the whole mind palace thing it did allow for a couple of great scenes, particularly the chance to depict the Reichenbach Falls

Seeing Sherlock back in his traditional setting actually put me in the mood to watch a bit of the Jeremy Brett series. Will need to maybe get my DVD boxset out and watch an episode or two.

but the one episode I saw wasn't very good, IMO (it was the second episode of the first series) and it felt/sounded like someone had written Sherlock in the same manner as Doctor Who, which I found annoying.
If I remember correctly that episode you saw was the one with the symbols and the Chinese gang wasn't it? I certainly found that the weakest of the first series.

And it's no surprise it feels like an episode of Doctor Who seeing as it's the same guy (Steven Moffat). And both shows do feel similar in that they can have some genius ideas in there but it seems they often just can't stop and it ends up becoming a bit of a mess. Still a pretty glorious mess though. So there are some episodes I found to be excellent (1:1 - "A Study in Pink", 1:3 - "The Great Game", 2:1 - "Scandal in Belgravia" but then I can also be underwhelmed as with "Hound of the Baskervilles"

I watched it yesterday. It's OK. There's enough there to have me looking forward to the next episode.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed War & Peace. However, I'm more surprised at how much of it I must've read because by the end of the first episode things were still happening that I remembered reading about. That's not taking into account how much they've left out. I didn't think I'd read that much.

Last watched:

Scream Queens - Episode 11 -

Bear Goes Wild With Barack Obama -

Doctor Who: The Husbands of River Song -
- The Christmas special episode.

Paul O'Grady: For The Love of Dogs at Christmas -

Coronation Street - All episodes over Christmas and up to tonight - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Eastenders - All episodes over Christmas and up to tonight -
- New Years Day double bill showing of episodes was fabulous.

Great Barrier Reef with David Attenborough - Episodes 1 and 2 -
- Too much technical/how they filmed it stuff compared to previous series and I'm not that interested in that when all I want to see is the marine life.

Panda Babies -

My Mediterranean with Adrian Chiles - Episode 1 -

Deutschland 83 - Episode 1(Quantum Jump) -
- Nice casting with Maria Schrader, she's fantastic.

Neighbours - Finally started again after a break at Christmas for the UK to finally catch up with Australia, I believe we now get the episode that airs in Australia on the same day when we use to be weeks or a few months behind them.

Forgot to say btw that the best bit of festive viewing this year was definitely the 8 out of 10 Cats Christmas special, if for no other reason than Carrot in a Box.

Carrot In A Box was fantastic. You knew John would fall for it. Much better than the 2015 special, which I thought was pretty poor.
Sean Lock stitched him right up. As Roisin I think it was said it was one of the best hustles I've ever seen. While he was obviously exaggerating it for comic effect I think you could see that Jon Richardson was genuinely a bit pissed off about looking a fool. I saw a couple of people who were actually at the taping talking about how it was actually edited down by a few minutes because everyone just sort of lost it. Jimmy, Roisin and large sections of the crowd were just all in tears. I wasn't far off tears myself, just kept watching it over and over again and couldn't stop laughing. "It's got a carrot in it!"

And yeah the End of Year special was rather flat really. Where as the Xmas special was great, not just Carrot in a Box. There was Jon's revelation about his Election night arrangements, Sean and Jon playing with their gifts from Jimmy, their game of finishing the punchline with Sean's celebratory calls etc.

Despite the poorish last episode I do love 8 out of 10 Cats and hope they have a new proper series sometime soon. I enjoy the Countdown series, and it's provided some great moments (Greg Davies' impression of Chris Eubank, Sean promising not to spit on Miles Jupp when they had sex later etc - basically any moment that has Jimmy crying with laughter), but on the whole I do prefer the normal show.

Sean Lock stitched him right up. As Roisin I think it was said it was one of the best hustles I've ever seen. While he was obviously exaggerating it for comic effect I think you could see that Jon Richardson was genuinely a bit pissed off about looking a fool. I saw a couple of people who were actually at the taping talking about how it was actually edited down by a few minutes because everyone just sort of lost it. Jimmy, Roisin and large sections of the crowd were just all in tears. I wasn't far off tears myself, just kept watching it over and over again and couldn't stop laughing. "It's got a carrot in it!"

And yeah the End of Year special was rather flat really. Where as the Xmas special was great, not just Carrot in a Box. There was Jon's revelation about his Election night arrangements, Sean and Jon playing with their gifts from Jimmy, their game of finishing the punchline with Sean's celebratory calls etc.

Despite the poorish last episode I do love 8 out of 10 Cats and hope they have a new proper series sometime soon. I enjoy the Countdown series, and it's provided some great moments (Greg Davies' impression of Chris Eubank, Sean promising not to spit on Miles Jupp when they had sex later etc - basically any moment that has Jimmy crying with laughter), but on the whole I do prefer the normal show.
One of my favourite ever 8 Out of 10 Cats moments. It wasn't even all that funny it was just Jimmys reaction . Another favourite of mine is the Christmas Special with Jedward when Sean gets drunk that full episode was gold "Don't they hit kids in Ireland"

Hadn't seen that episode before, just watched it on youtube that was hilarious. "I realised that classic works of literature sound better through Eubanks voice"

Hadn't seen that episode before, just watched it on youtube that was hilarious. "I realised that classic works of literature sound better through Eubanks voice"
Just as with the Sean/Miles bit much of the hilarity comes from Jimmy's reaction. Although Sean's incredulity is brilliant - "what you're doing is unprofessional?!!!"

The next time Greg Davies was on they had him do some more and then surprised him with the Eubank himself actually showing up.

Just as with the Sean/Miles bit much of the hilarity comes from Jimmy's reaction. Although Sean's incredulity is brilliant - "what you're doing is unprofessional?!!!"

The next time Greg Davies was on they had him do some more and then surprised him with the Eubank himself actually showing up.
I really need to catch up with Does Countdown, i've missed a ton of them.