The Best You've Seen This Year

Tools    

I am the Nightrider!
For 2005, "Sin City"...masterful moviemaking.

UJ

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Sideways (Alexander Payne)

Sorry Annie, but it's still speaking to me. Bigtime.
I liked this movie, I even bought it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
I liked this movie, I even bought it.
You and me both, kid.

Heck, I even started a wine collection (though I've only got pint glasses, hey ho) and began cultivating my bald patch...

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Tacitus
2. Sideways (Alexander Payne)

Sorry Annie, but it's still speaking to me. Bigtime.
That's ok. There are movies that speak to me that wouldn't speak to you either.

I should thank you for even listening to my earlier rantings.

Star Wars- What more can be said, just as spectacular and breath taking as the other 5 movies.

Batman Begins- great story and so well put together, and the ending with Liam Neeson was fantastic.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Batman Begins- This was an epic from the very beginning. The humor was there, it was darker than the other 3 Batman films (I don't consider Batman and Robin a film) and far more entertaining and better paced. Christian Bale was fantastic as play boy Bruce Wayne, Michael Caine surprised me by being as good an Alfred as Michael Gough, and Liam Neeson once again proves how brilliant an actor he is (and for a change he wasn't wasted!). The villain is forgettable, but this film is about Batman, so that's not a bad thing, but Scarecrow was a good choice to re-kindle the franchise.

I just hope they don't slip up for the next one...

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
I just hope they don't slip up for the next one...
All the pricipals behind and in front of the camera will be back, so it'll have a good chance of being another good one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm not old, you're just 12.
gonna make a list, cause I can't pick just one. heh.

Oldboy
Layer Cake
Sin City
Batman Begins
Kung Fu Hustle
Fever Pitch
Phantom of the Opera
War of the Worlds
Wedding Crashers
End of the Century

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Man of La Movies
Batman Begins
Sin City
The Fantastic Four

Eraserhead was really good, and so was breakin the waves.

The best I have seen so far this year, which starts week of Friday, April 1st.

Sin City
Kung Fu Hustle
Crash
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Madagascar
Rock School
High Tension
Batman Begins
War of the Worlds
Undead
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Wedding Crashers
The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Starcraft good in 97' good now
2005 : Star Wars episode III was pretty good but i especially liked The Brothers Grimm The acting and storyline were amazing

I'd have to say Serenity. I was disappointed with The Island and Fantastic Four. I liked War of the Worlds but it had no sympathetic characters. Spielberg couldn't even make me care much about Dakota Fanning.

Serenity was a total package. My only real complaint is how do those "Reevers" fly spaceships when they seem to be totally crazed out of their minds animals?

Summer Glau as River and Ejiofor as the Operative are who put Serenity a step above the ordinary space shootem up. The rest of the cast was fine but those two made the film.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by jrs
The best I have seen so far this year, which starts week of Friday, April 1st.
Doesn't the year start January 1st?

This year, the best, and I am limiting this to big screen, unless you want me to post about Mulholland Drive and Blade Runner, yet again....

Sin City
Batman Begins
Serenity
War of the Worlds
(what can I say, ignore the **** ending)

Ok, I can't resist, i need to list films on DVD that I just saw for the first time this year....

City of God
A Very Long Engagement
Magnolia
Solaris
Eraserhead
Million Dollar baby

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
If we're going by what we've seen this year, even though it may have been made last year, 3-Iron is the best I've seen. Hands down.

But, since it was made in 2004 I can't count it in 2005, so...

Grizzly Man
The Aristocrats
War of the Worlds
Sin City
Serenity

Not exactly a list of only cinematic breakthroughs, but I unabashedly love 'em all.

The worst:

Filmsucker, er, Thumbsucker.

I am having a nervous breakdance
The first couple of films that come to mind are Vozvrashcheniye (you know.... The Return...) and Der Untergang.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

history *is* moralizing
Birth
Sin City
Garden State
Broken Flowers

I Will Shrink You
Originally Posted by Sedai

Ok, I can't resist, i need to list films on DVD that I just saw for the first time this year....

City of God
A Very Long Engagement
Magnolia
Solaris
Eraserhead
solaris by tarkovsky? i have had real trouble finding that movie, i want to se it so bad. this year the best movie I saw in cinema wa Sin City and the best DvD i saw this year would have to be Brazil. Brilliant stuff.

There's treachery afoot!!!
Garden State
Milliom Dollar baby
Batman Begins
Broken Flowers
and
March of the Penguinns