The Top 5 Oscar travesties of all time

Tools    

Titanic
Titanic
Titanic
Titanic
Titanic

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
5- Sideways being nominated for "Best Picture" over just about anything in 2005. Sideways flat out sucked. Nothing was funny or entertaining about this movie unlike what I was told. The acting sucked too. Terrible, terrible, terrible script.

4- James Caan not winning "Best Supporting Actor" in 1973.
James Caan, Robert Duvall, or Al Pacino all would have been fine picks that year, but not one of them won. Caan deserved it the most of the three.

3- The Shawshank Redemption losing to Forrest Gump for "Best Picture" in 1995.
Forrest Gump was a good movie, but better than Shawshank? I don't think so. Not even close.

2- L.A. Confidential losing to Titanic for "Best Picture" in 1998.
Why do people like Titanic? It is a below average love story for the first half and the second half is totally chaotic. There isn't even a plot, it's just people running around the ship screaming that they are going to die. The acting wasn't even that good.

And the number 1 Oscar travesty of all time...? Drum roll please...

1- Ed Norton NOT winning "Best Actor" in 1999. Say what you want about American History X, but anyone who says Ed Norton was not incredible in this film is either A) Lying or B) Fully admittable.

Ed Norton gave the best acting job I've ever seen in this movie.

Honorable mention: Not one of the cast members of Braveheart being nominated for an acting award.

Actually most years the better actors/directors/etc...get the snub. I think the last Oscars were actually close to being spot on though. Hopefully it is a trend. And do not mention Titanic, it galls me.

Because teenage girls love Leonardo DiCaprio.

I thought last year's haul was pretty poor to be honest, I felt Crash was the worst of the best picture nominees by some way, it set out to showcase casual racism and ended up being casually racist itself. Not that I'm one for subtlety, but I thought it could have been handled a little better. I'd have given best picture to Goodnight and Good Luck which I thought was excellent. Capote was pretty good too.

I also liked Sideways (sorry). And L.A. Confidential losing to Titanic was really quite dreadful (however I did like Titanic when I was 11, but I saw it again a few months ago and it was so, so bad).

The one that aggrivated me so much, was Bill Murray losing for Lost in Translation. He deserves one, but giving Oscars to comedians.. NO EFFIN WAY! (Now don't take this the wrong way cause I dont mean it) Except if your Jaime Foxx, They just wanted recognition for appealing to african americans, just liek "It's Hard out Here For A Pimp" won best song...

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

I don't have a list but definitly Martin Scorsese never winning an award he has made some of the greatest movies of all time and even though I dont care much for oscars I still think he should have at least 3 for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas.

And Elephant Man i was pretty shocked when "Its Hard Out Here For A Pimp" won best song but im sort of happy it did because imo Hustle & Flow was one of the best movies of 2005 and I wanted it to win something

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by BobbyB
I watched Titanic for the first time about two months ago. Why was it so popular?
Originally Posted by Alvin
Because teenage girls love Leonardo DiCaprio.
Why is any movie popular. Obviously, it struck a cord with people on a certain level. There are plenty of movies out there that I don't care for, but other people love. It's just a matter of taste, that's all.

Alvin...have you actually done a demograghic survey to determine that only teenage girls in love with Leonardo are responsible for Titanic's popularity? It couldn't be anything else? Just curious.

Back on topic....

Biggest travesties for me were....

Gwyneth Paltrow winning for lead actress in Shakespeare in Love over
Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth in Elizabeth I.
Gwyneth was fine, but did pretty much what she always does. Cate's Elizabeth was amazing...watching her grow from a naive young women into a queen who needed to be strong was a much better performance to me.

Nicole Kidman winning for Best Actress in a Leading Role for The Hours...while Meryl Streep wasn't even nominated for the same movie. Meryl Streep made The Hours for me...she was fabulous...Nicole...ehhh....

A system of cells interlinked
5 - LA Confidential - as someone already mentioned.
4 - Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream) losing to Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich) in 2000
3 - Stanley Kubrick needed an oscar man!
2 - Marty Scorsese needs an Oscar man!
1 - Alfred friggin HITCHCOCK not getting an oscar... !!!

Originally Posted by Aniko
Alvin...have you actually done a demograghic survey to determine that only teenage girls in love with Leonardo are responsible for Titanic's popularity? It couldn't be anything else? Just curious.
I suppose it's possible that there were 1 or 2 gay guys with a Billy Zane complex, but yes, 400 million teenage girls paid $5 (how much does it cost to go to the cinema in the U.S.?) to see Titanic.

Put me in your pocket...
I suppose it's possible that there were 1 or 2 gay guys with a Billy Zane complex, but yes, 400 million teenage girls paid $5 (how much does it cost to go to the cinema in the U.S.?) to see Titanic.
Prove it.

I'll prove it tomorrow.

Check out THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'll stick just with Best Picture...

Top 5 Screw Jobs:

1. Raging Bull (1980) - Bar none the finest American film ever made. This is a double secret screw job, since Scorsese was also denied Best Director.

2. Citizen Kane (1941) - One of the most influential, important films in history. The actual winner? How Green Was My Valley, which no one cared about then and no one cares about now.

3. Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - A film that was a major groundbreaker passed over for a guilt-ridden mediocrity. F--- that!

4. A Clockwork Orange (1967) - Sure, The French Connection is a decent flick, but c'mon, there's no comparison.

5. The Thin Red Line (1998) - The best American film of the last 25 years and it loses to a tenth rate chick flick?!! Another multi-tiered screw job, since the editing, directing and cinematography trophies were all handed out to Steven Spielberg's vastly inferior Saving Private Ryan.

5 Most Undeserving Winners (not counting years already mentioned):

1. Titanic (1997) - Is this even open to question?

2. My Fair Lady (1964) - Broadway musicals are not serious art, and this sucks even by the rather low standards of the musical.

3. Chicago (2002) - See above.

4. Gandhi (1982) - Yeah, it was a terrible year, but still, do we need a three hour epic about a bald man in a diaper? No, we don't.

5. Rocky (1976) - A mediocre entry in a year when all the other contenders were strong. Bonus awful points for some of the worst boxing scenes in history, as well as launching the career of one of the 5 worst superstar actors of all time.

I think that the fact that the likes of Prince, Three-Six Mafia, Peter Jackson, Julia Roberts, Roberto Beningini. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Marisa Tomei and Sean Penn have Oscars (and these are just off the top of my head) and Martin Scorsese has nothing is the biggest Oscar travesty. There's no denying the fact that this man needs an Oscar, and has never gotten it.

Randomly visiting for now
I felt Crash was the worst of the best picture nominees by some way, it set out to showcase casual racism and ended up being casually racist itself. Not that I'm one for subtlety, but I thought it could have been handled a little better.
Of course it could have been handled better and been a bit more realistic, but that would have wrecked it! It was meant to be racist and over the top. The Academy isn't stupid you know and doesn't just award racist films without even considering if its offensive. It's supposed to be confronting. It's supposed to challenge your own stereotypes and its supposed to make you uncomfortable because otherwise you won't think about its message seriously. For a better explanation check out a great review by a fellow mofo Here. Of course that's just my opinion but movies don't just accidently win Best picture.

I'm sure you're exactly right, and it probably served its purpose perfectly, but as a result of that it wasn't a film I enjoyed watching, and my measure of a good film is whether I found it enjoyable.

The Oscargasm over Titanic and Lord of the Rings...
I was so drunk with rage on those nights, I cant even remember the ceremonies.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
5- Sideways being nominated for "Best Picture" over just about anything in 2005. Sideways flat out sucked. Nothing was funny or entertaining about this movie unlike what I was told. The acting sucked too. Terrible, terrible, terrible script.
I really like Sideways