Mysterious castle, an altar and stone griffins - comedy movie

Tools    

I’m looking for a comedy movie for my friend (between 1980 - 2000 max). A marriage (they aren’t too young) with their friend on vacation, perhaps some island or small sleepy town with a castle. The woman is appalled that her husband doesn’t remember their wedding anniversary. Then, she leaves the hotel and explores the town or an island. Then, a strange guy notices her (he is an elderly man with long gray hair) and he offers her a walk and buys her a red dress. I remember he tells her he lives in a castle and invites her there.

I am still wondering how the altar and the stone griffins were involved.
Okay. So there is a castle. Now, to find genuine medieval castles you have to go to Europe (okay, there are also a couple that were built in SW Asia by European Crusaders). I am guessing this therefore was set in Europe. An island off the coast of Europe, perhaps?
Sometimes in the USA very rich people will build "fake" castles, so it could be USA. So my question is was it a real castle or a fake castle?
Are we sure it was what in English we call a "Castle"? This in English would be distinct from a "Mansion" or a "Palace". This is different in other languages, in French the word "Chateau" can mean both "Mansion" or "Castle" in English.
What language did everybody speak? Was it an American couple on a vacation?
Where did you see this, on TV or in a cinema? In what country?
I am assuming it was set in a modern era, not the past.
And although you never said so, I am assuming it was live action.

TV, it could be American or German movie, but rather American. I watched this in Poland.

The actors speak English, one was similar to Danny DeVito.

Could it have been Danny DeVito? Which character resembled him, the husband, the old man, some other character?

Could it have been Danny DeVito? Which character resembled him, the husband, the old man, some other character?
A friend of this marriage resembled him.