Viggo Mortensen to Quit Acting

Tools    

Viggo Mortensen to Quit Acting

A while ago Viggo Mortensen was heard saying that he was considering retiring from the movie business, however he said this while on the rounds promoting a movie and it was assumed he was tired of the whole PR process. After days of travelling, promoting and answering the same crappy questions i’m sure there are many actors and actresses who have considering giving it up. However, in a recent interview with Men’s Journal (via WorstPreviews) Viggo confirmed he’s going though with it.

“I have no plans to do another movie. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m open to seeing how I feel in a while, but right now I’m not saying yes to anything. My agent is like, ‘Well, if you don’t do anything, people will forget about you…’ I just feel like I’ve taken on too much for a while.”
Source: Filmonic

It will be a shame if he does retire but in some ways, I can understand it. I disagree with his agent though, I don't think he'll ever be forgotten...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

You want to post like me?
I hope if he retires he'll move back to Denmark right in next to me. What would you say the chances are, that Viggo Mortensen will live in a 2 room apartment?

Ha , nice try agent. I'm sure if he does make a comeback it's going to be an anticipated one after what should be one of his best performances in The Road.

Banned from Hollywood.
I am amazed that Mortensen hasnt received that precious best actor oscar yet....he's right up there with the best...either way it wont add anything to his already incredible talent..

i hope he really isnt serious about quitting ..he's still got a lot to offer...a lot indeed...

. . .however he said this while on the rounds promoting a movie and it was assumed he was tired of the whole PR process. After days of travelling, promoting and answering the same crappy questions i’m sure there are many actors and actresses who have considering giving it up . . .
Actors with this "I vant to be alone" posturing give me a pain. I mean for years they make the rounds promoting themselves to agents, casting directors, producers, stage managers, anyone who might give them their big break or at least a steady salary for a few weeks. They spend days walking to auditions, traveling between dinner-theater and summer-theater gigs, taking a walk-on here, a one-liner there, slowly building a career role by role. Then once in a million times, lightning strikes and the public notices them. For the first time in their lives, fans and the theater/movie press now take time to ask "crappy questions." Now they're on the road promoting their latest film for which they have been paid a salary they would have killed for in their early days or maybe even part of the profits. Now they're being put up at 4- and 5-star hotels instead of going back to the 4-story walk-up, cold-water, 2-room dump where they once lived, with the toilet down the hall. Now people are loading and unloading their luggage and driving them to their next press conference while they're sipping wine in the backseat, instead of hitching rides from friends and strangers in their one clean shirt, wondering when and where they'll get their next meal. Used to, they wore sunglasses hoping someone would mistake them for someone important; now their shades are supposed to hide them from their fans, and they whine about how hard life is on the road or at some exotic location amid all of this attention, attention, attention. All of a sudden the life of an actor is so burdensome that they just gotta drop out. Puh-leeze!!!

Happy New Year from Philly!
Being a well-beloved celebrity millionaire can be wearing. I for one feel for the man.

He he he he!

It will be a shame if he does retire but in some ways, I can understand it. I disagree with his agent though, I don't think he'll ever be forgotten...
Any bets on how many millions of people now walking this earth have never even heard of this guy, much less seen his movies? Just 'cuz he's a big noise to LOR fans don't mean he's unforgettable or even irreplaceable.

I'm not trying to flame you, Caitlyn. I agree Viggo is an interesting actor who has played some good parts. But I submit many more actors—good actors—are forgotten over the years than are remembered today. Consider for example those who have been nominated for Oscars down through the years; most were veterans of stage and screen; many had fans of various numbers and were written up in the fan magazines at one time or another. Some forum participants may remember the name when it’s mentioned; a few can, without looking it up, even name a film or two or a role in which the actor appeared. But among most participants in this forum (aside from a few die-hards who know everybody), I doubt any of the following names are the first to leap to mind when talking about outstanding actors:

Chester Morris, George Arliss, Lawrence Tibbett, Adophe Menjou, Richard Dix, Jackie Cooper, Maurice Chevalier, Charles Boyer, Robert Donat, Paul Lukas, Alexander Knox, Larry Parks, Arthur Kennedy, Stuart Whitman, Brian Donlevy, John Dall. Some, I think, would have trouble placing Paul Muni, Leslie Howard, John Barrymore, John Garfield, John Cassavetes, or even Michael J. Pollard.

Here's a challenge for some of the younger participants--make a list of your favorite actors, singers, movies, and songs today and see how many are still among your favorites in 10, 20, 30, 40+ years.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
He better not quit! That would be incredibly disappointing. I'm hoping he's just tired, but yea, I do hate it when actors say this stuff. He's in his prime right now, taking on some interesting roles, and I think it's sorta ridiculous to quit now.

I'd actually be pissed.

That quote doesn't seem like he's quitting for good, though, just taking time off.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Ah man i'm a big Viggo fan, there's something about his composure and attitude that's so kind and personable and he brings that in every role and i love that about him.

What's with actors quitting their job? You'd think they are busboys in a restaurant where they just pick up one day and quit.

Jaoquin Phoenix and now Viggo...the cameras and fame must be getting to their heads. I mean who wouldn't want to be famous and seen on big screens? I don't get it...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Road has eaten over two years of the man's life, and he's a family man, and according to a few people here, who really have no such first-hand info, he's apparently rolling in money, but whatever the case may be, I'm sure he's a lot more solvent than I am and can do whatever he wants, no matter whatever small minds think who should "mind" their own business. YA!

What about The Road? Maybe he did quit acting, but there's still one Viggo Mortensen flick to come.
No you underestimate the depths of his desire to be finished with the craft of acting: he's so committed that he is actually going back and digitally removing himself from every film he ever made, including the DVDs in your own collection. He'll be stopping by the house around five tomorrow.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What's with actors quitting their job? You'd think they are busboys in a restaurant where they just pick up one day and quit.
First of all that makes no sense...Secondly, a busboy needs more money than an actor whos been working for 25 years like Viggo Mortenson has. So if Viggo feels like quitting it's his perrogative. He's got plenty of $$$ to live on even if he quit 5 years ago. Acting is a cool job sure, but all things don't last forever.