Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Thanks, neiba. I didn't think much of KKBB either. Not funny.
Yeah, I think I finally start to know your tastes. I was thinking you wouldn't like this one too, don't ask me why!

V for Vendetta

James McTeigue
USA/UK/Germany

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

There are lots of movies about fictional dictatorships and revolutions set in a near future, most of them too pretentious to be taken seriously.

V for Vendetta is NOT one of those movies.

Thanks to its brilliant script, brought to life by two wonderful perfomances (Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving) and impeccable directing, it became one of the most quoted and influential movies of the XXI century. Influential not only to other films but to society.
Born from a comic book and massified by this film, the mask of Guy Fawkes left the cinematic world and became the symbol of hacktivism, thanks to Anonymous. Only a hanful of movies can be proud of that kind of deep influence, and that has to mean something.

V for Vendetta

James McTeigue
USA

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

There are lots of movies about fictional dictatorships and revolutions set in a near future, most of them too pretentious to be taken seriously.

V for Vendetta is NOT one of those movies.

Thanks to its brilliant script, brought to life by two wonderful perfomances (Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving) and impeccable directing, it became one of the most quoted and influential movies of the XXI century. Influential not only to other films but to society.
Born from a comic book and massified by this film, the mask of Guy Fawkes left the cinematic world and became the symbol of hacktivism, thanks to Anonymous. Only a hanful of movies can be proud of that kind of deep influence, and that has to mean something.

Can I rep you a million time??

you OBVIOUSLY get a rep for this masterpiece. A huge favorite of mine

The Breakfast Club

John Hughes
USA

We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Simple but incredibly powerful and truthful... Teen years are not easy and this movie portrays it really well, using every highschool stereotype to make a point!
Something that I will always watch it in a different way depending how old am I, but that will never fail to make me nostalgious!

Master of My Domain
I used to worship V for Vendetta as a kid, but not really anymore. Gonna give you rep anyways because it's still a good film.

The Breakfast Club is great, and the improvised last scene is incredible.

Rosemary's Baby
Roman Polanski
USA

Witches... All of them witches!

The first review I ever wrote was about Rosemary's Baby. Here's an excerpt from it:

Rosemary's Baby is a gruesome and intense story adapted for the big screen by the Polish director Roman Polanski, from the novel with the same name by Ira Levin. Although it does not contain the elements that traditionally compose a horror movie (blood, sudden shock-moments, etc.) this film is a masterpiece of its genre because it does not depend on these same elements to create a truly frightening and unsettling atmosphere.

The unsettling and gloomy atmosphere present throughout the film is immediately introduced by the strange lullaby sung by Mia Farrow during the opening credits.
The architecture, decoration and lightning of the settings create in the viewer a constant sense of claustrophobia and the confusing succession of screenshots in some moments - particularly during the odd nightmare of Rosemary - implement in the public an almost asphyxiating feeling of anxiety that lasts for several hours after the end of the movie.
In general, all the actors are very convincing in their roles and contribute a lot in creating a great familiarity between the viewer and the scene. However, there are two representations that stand out: Mia Farrow is brilliant in the role of the innocent young pregnant woman, fragile and submissive, personality to which his avant-garde pixie hair cut offers an interesting counterpoint, and Ruth Gordon offers a sublime interpretation of the comic yet sinister Minnie Castavet.
Roman Polanski leads the suspense masterfully, revealing the whole plot progressively, creating a very intimate connection between the viewer and the main character. This turns to be particularly brilliant when, instead of ending the film with some unexpected and shocking happening, he chooses a predictable but inevitable conclusion, as if we all knew bad things were meant to happen and there was no way out. This makes the story even scarier.

Personally, I don’t like to feel anxious and scared, so to say that I have suffered every second of this film is the best thing I can say about it. It is undoubtedly one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of horror cinema and a must for all lovers of the genre.

Tropa de Elite 2
a.k.a. Elite Squad 2
José Padilha
Brazil

If BOPE dealt with corrupt politicans as it does with drug dealers, Brazil would be a much better country

It's hard to find a sequel that complements so well the original movie. The first Elite Squad was a adrenaline-fueled action masterpiece showing how is the life of Special Forces on a brazilian slum. The entire movie is about extreme violence and dialogue.
On the other hand, this one is about the backstage of poverty, about how far can corruption really go. We see Capt. Nascimento, no longer a cop, trying to beat the System from within. It's amazing how Wagner Moura portraits that development, without losing the badass guy from the first movie but with a lot more drama on his mind.
Being a more ambicious film, the script is not as perfect as the first one, but it's still better than 99,9% of this century Hollywood films. I didn't particulary liked the performance of Irandhir Santos as Fraga, but the rest of the acting is pretty good!

It is a very Brazilian film in terms of dealing with the core of Brazil's corruption problems. The system is rotten to the core and high crime rates are a reflection of that.

Rep for The Breakfast Club and V For Vendetta. The first is on my own 100 and I've loved it from that first viewing back in the 80's. V was something I didn't think I was going to like and didn't watch for quite a while. But it's also one of those films which , for some reason, I change my mind about or see/hear something about it which appeals to me, and so I give it a chance. As I suspected, I liked it. Possibly a little more than I thought I would.

Rosemary's Baby, on the other hand, is just dull. I liked it more than I had the last time I watched it, but that's not the same as liking it. On that viewing I just found it dull and uninteresting rather than hating it.

Hotaru no Haka
a.k.a. Grave of the Fireflies
Isao Takahata
Japan

September 21, 1945... that was the night I died.

If this is not the most depressive movie I ever saw, it's really really close. I remember finishing this and being completely immobile looking at the screen for a really long time, with my eyes so red from crying they hurted.
I love the naive touch, the magic atmosphere and the contrast created by the innocence of a child and the horrors of an atomic bomb. It's really hard to ask for something more emotional than this.
Hotaru no haka is a work of a genius and, even if I know very little about anime, Takahata is still the director who impressed me the most, so far!

Be a freak, like me too
I think I have a heart of stone because I didn't cry with this film

Be a freak, like me too
What movies make you cry Senso?
Johnny Got His Gun, Umberto D., Capra's films, Monsters & Cie, Ratatouille, Elephant Man, We All Loved Each Other, Titanic... ( )