The 2023 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

...little sad that Infinity Pool and The Iron Claw only registered a single nom.
Other than your votes, The Iron Claw actually had a couple nominations for Best Film, and Zac Efron had a handful of votes for Best Actor as well. So it had some support, just not enough to break through.

Ant0man really shouldn't be a "worst" film of the year when Flash and Marvels came out.
They both received a few votes as well. After the 3 "runner's up" I already mentioned, The Flash and The Marvels were just 1 point behind those.

I think that once films get a reputation for being bad, people tend to avoid them, so they don't get as many votes as they probably deserve.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the only Marvel/Sony or DC film I watched this past year was Guardians of the Galaxy, and I keep forgetting it exists even though it was fine. Heard nothing but negative things about all the others, and I was already suffering pretty badly from superhero fatigue and had no interest in seeing them anyway.

Well, I heard a fair amount of positive things about Spider-man, and I probably should watch it since it's in a number of categories, but I'm just really not feeling it. Maybe that'll change over the next couple of weeks.... we'll see.

If anyone is curious about films they loved or voted for that didn't make the cut, feel free to ask

Did anyone besides me vote Hunger Games for... anything?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Did anyone besides me vote Hunger Games for... anything?

Yes, I voted it for biggest surprise as it was much better than I was expecting.

Other than what Thursday already said, it also got a point in the Mixed Bag category, and a nomination for Best Visuals.

Thanks, I was a bit disappointed not to see Tom Blyth in the breakout category at least.

Also kind of funny that none of the embarrassingly large number of votes I threw its way were in any of the three categories anyone else put it in.

Thanks, I was a bit disappointed not to see Tom Blyth in the breakout category at least.
Best Breakout Performance was probably the biggest it's ever been this year. Even I had the full 5 nominations in that category, when I normally have just 1, maybe 2 there.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Here I go! - I managed to see every single film involved with the previous awards and I've seen a fair few of these. I might struggle when it comes to documentaries and their availability. The worst aspect of covering all bases is having to watch the Expendables 4 (I haven't even seen the first three - but I can't imagine that mattering) and Quasi. What on earth is Quasi? Otherwise, a good chance to mop up what I overlooked or didn't get to in '23.
Quasi was a vote from me. It's the Broken Lizard guys (whom I find actually pretty funny) but this film about a Quasimodo-type character was a complete misfire.

Suspect's Reviews

I forgot the opening line.
Knocked Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One, Elemental, Polite Society, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, All of Us Strangers, Knock at the Cabin, Bottoms, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. and American Fiction off the list over the past week or so.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Best Breakout Performance was probably the biggest it's ever been this year. Even I had the full 5 nominations in that category, when I normally have just 1, maybe 2 there.

Very much so!

I've sent in my ballot, although I admit my pick for Best Movie of the year is somewhat of a protest vote. I can't believe Barbie wasn't even eligible. I didn't expect it to win, but not even a nomination? Shenanigans!

Knocked Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One, Elemental, Polite Society, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, All of Us Strangers, Knock at the Cabin, Bottoms, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. and American Fiction off the list over the past week or so.
Wow, you've been busy!

I only saw Society of the Snow haha. I do plan to watch a few more before voting though.

I've also watched The Killer and Perfect Days now. They didn't land many nominations, but I was interested in checking them out anyway. Definitely not going to get to see either The Boy and the Heron or Godzilla Minus One before the deadline on the 26th, which I think I will be forever salty about.

I forgot the opening line.
In the time since I last checked in I watched They Cloned Tyrone, Nimona, The Exorcist: Believer, Godzilla Minus One, Enys Men, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Sly, Perfect Days, Wham!, 20 Days in Mariupol and The League, knocking them off my list. I might actually get to see all those docs after all. So, striving for 100% completion again this year.

I tried to watch Spider-man since it's in so many categories, but I barely made it past the opening credits because I was already tired of constantly having to adjust the volume. Dialogue would be so quiet I have to turn it up, but then the music was so loud it felt like it was going to blow my speakers and I'd have to rush to turn it down again.

I'm really, really tired of films having such inconsistent audio levels. People complained about Tenet, but I thought the sound in that was perfectly fine. Spider-man, on the other hand, is unwatchable because of it. I won't be giving it another go.

I wasn't going to watch Asteroid City since I don't particularly like Wes Anderson, but I decided to give it a go and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Too bad it didn't make it into the "Biggest Surprise" category, because kind of digging a film I expected to hate would've definitely gotten it my vote there.

There are just 2 weeks left to submit your picks for this year's winners!
Remember: you don't need to have participated in the nominations round in order to vote in this one! The more people who vote, the merrier!

I'm going to tag those who did participate in round 1, but haven't voted for the winners yet. If I tag you, but you have already sent me your final ballot, I may have just forgotten to add your name to the list in the 7th post, but please remind me just in case!

@Allaby @ApexPredator @Harry Lime @John-Connor @LAMb EELYAK @PHOENIX74
@sawduck @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Thursday Next @Torgo @Tugg

There are just 2 weeks left to submit your picks for this year's winners!
Can you send out another similar reminder in about a week? I have most of my ballot done. Thanks
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."