Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Originally Posted by Saunch
*I know Scott Pilgrim’s got defenders but I’m just not fond of that one at all and the lack of chemistry between her and Cera sort of kills the movie.
I liked her in Sky High (2005) and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) (I think the zero chemistry was because of Micheal Cera...just saying. I enjoyed the movie but he's not the most convincing, um, hunk type.) and I've heard she's great in Smashed (2012) which I still need to see. Yeah, I could see her in a Coen brothers film. I wish someone would see how talented she is. After Fargo maybe she'll get more big-time roles. She's got an upcoming movie called All About Nina where she plays a stand-up comedienne. That ought to be interesting.

This might just do nobody any good.
Yeah, Scott isn’t a hunk... but he is different from the type of geek Cera is. Comic Scott’s personality makes the whole thing more believable.

Originally Posted by Camo
Scott Pilgrims not supposed to be a hunk. This is the comic book Scott:...
Yeah, when I said "hunk" I was trying to be kind and not say that Michael Cera is too wimpy to be a match for MEW. But now I've said it. Michael Cera is wimpy. But I still like the guy.

See this as soon as you can.

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

*I know Scott Pilgrim’s got defenders but I’m just not fond of that one at all and the lack of chemistry between her and Cera sort of kills the movie.
I mostly like Scott Pilgrim, but I agree with this 100%. The lead actors don't have any chemistry, Ramona is kind of a bitch in the film, and I didn't even want her and Scott to end up together. Scott and Knives made more sense. Scott and Ramona are kind of insufferable, but I don't hate it because the supporting cast is really great, which manages to save the film for me.

Prisoners really sold me on Villeneuve as a director. That one could’a been a throwaway, by-the-numbers thriller but the execution (aided in no small part by two great opposing performances) really elevated the whole affair.

Incendies is the ideal follow up if you’re looking to catch up on his filmography but it’s no less challenging.
Was that meant for me? (if so, already seen that one. Used to work in a video store a few years ago - saw pretty much eveything imaginable, and Incendies often ended up on my recommended wall.) Since this is two now Villeneuve has done with Gyllenhaal, hmmm...dorector/actor pair-up? Kinda love those.

Welcome to the human race...
Pottersville -

Because even the novelty of seeing Michael Shannon dress up as Bigfoot only gets a movie so far.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
That's the only one i've seen. Are you aware of the directors (and taxi driver in the film) story?

Going to watch This Is Not a Film soon.
Yes, I read about him before I watch this movie. You are right, it's very important director and very brave for sure. There is no doubt. I went to see this movie, because of all that and prize in Berlin Festival (which is really meaningful, IMO).
Maybe I have problem with this movie, because of cultural differences?

Yes, I read about him before I watch this movie. You are right, it's very important director and very brave for sure. There is no doubt. I went to see this movie, because of all that and prize in Berlin Festival (which is really meaningful, IMO).
Maybe I have problem with this movie, because of cultural differences?
Possibly, or it may just not be for you. I didn't love it either although i think both of us would have been better starting with some of his pre ban films to give us more context on what led to his ban and what exactly was labeled "propaganda against the Iranian government". For the record Taxi is rarely called his best film: The White Balloon, The World, Crimson Gold, This Is Not a Film and possibly Closed Curtain are usually ranked above it from what i've seen, with the first three being pre ban films. The World is critical of the treatment of women in Iran so i'm guessing that played a part in his arrest.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Possibly, or it may just not be for you. I didn't love it either although i think both of us would have been better starting with some of his pre ban films to give us more context on what led to his ban and what exactly was labeled "propaganda against the Iranian government". For the record Taxi is rarely called his best film: The White Balloon, The World, Crimson Gold, This Is Not a Film and possibly Closed Curtain are usually ranked above it from what i've seen, with the first three being pre ban films. The World is critical of the treatment of women in Iran so i'm guessing that played a part in his arrest.
I agree once again. I would like to watch This Is Not a Film - great title BTW Maybe it would change my rating.

I agree once again. I would like to watch This Is Not a Film - great title BTW Maybe it would change my rating.
This is Not A Film is a documentary Panahi co-directed about his time under house arrest. It's his only actual documentary, Taxi and Closed Curtain are Docufiction.

I'm going to watch it myself soon too, might watch one of his pre ban films first though.

The Phantom Express (Emory Johnson, 1932)

Poor quality sadly derails this offering

Dead Heat

Roger Mortis and Doug Bigelow are cops that are chasing crooks that are dead serious about crime. Or should I say they are chasing dead crooks perpetrating serious crimes? Seems some nutcase has learned how to bring back the dead and is sending them on crime sprees. Now these indestructable goons are in the way of officers Mortis and Bigelow.

Even with a zombie duck head, a Vincent Price and officer Bigelow's constant wise cracks, I found myself infinitely bored with 1988's Dead Heat

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Office Christmas Party

Here is a film so desperate to be edgy, raunchy and wild, that the end result is an embarrassment of tame, unfunny and boringly predictable comedic bits. Despite the largely talented cast, they meander around the script, looking for something funny to say or do. Instead they fall into the roles everyone and their grandma would expect from them and the film offers a snicker here or there, but no memorable funny moments.

TJ Miller has to land a very big client for his company, or everyone will be fired. The best way to do this is to show the man they need to 'woo', what a close knit family the company is at the work Christmas Party. Unfortunately the party has been forbidden by his sister, Jennifer Aniston. Now with the help of his friend and co-worker Jason Bateman, they need to put on a wild and fun party without the boss knowing.

Let's run through this talented cast; T.J. Miller, Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn, Vanessa Bayer, Courtney B. Vance, Rob Corddry, Kate McKinnon, Jillian Bell and Randall Park. All talented people in their own way, coming together to create such a lacking film is a little disappointing to say the least. Bateman does his usual straight-man with snide comedic quips, Miller is a buffon with a heart of gold, Aniston is mean, Corddry is perverted, Bell is awkward nice/mean and McKinnon is weird. Okay, we've seen this all before, so maybe they can make it work with such familiar material? No.

The film wants you to think it's a wild night, it's not. Having sex in bathroom stalls, setting things on fire, getting drunk and throwing stuff out the window. All things to be 'expected' when watching this film. One bit that was odd and didn't register a laugh is when a man does a 3D printing of his penis. Other bits are so lazily staged that you know what the joke will be later in the film, specifically the snow/cocaine mix-up.

Jokes fall flat, the situational comedy doesn't work and it will not be a film to watch every Christmas. The talented cast is given very little to do, but they make the material bearable. I'm still waiting for Olivia Munn to have something more to do with her career than play the same thing over and over too. Office Christmas Party is a miss this holiday season.

Suspect's Reviews